What's new

Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I saw it in its theatrical rerelease, and it looked pretty grimy there too. That look isn't my cup of tea, but perhaps that's what the directors wanted?

Will we also be getting Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hopefully Lowry/DTS won't meddle with the colors and white levels the way they did on the Disney and 007 projects they were handed.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It looks like the prices on the BD are only going to be a few dollars more than the SD version.

For example: Amazon.com: SD-$16.99 BD-$19.95 :eek:

:emoji_thumbsup:

GregoryP

Supporting Actor

I bought it in one of the amazon buy-one-get-one-free sales, so I only paid about $10. :eek:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Got it (it's been out in Region B for some time). Picture and sound are both fine, but not top notch demonstration quality (but who on earth would buy this movie as a demo disc anyway?). It easily beats the best SD version, and the extras are more than enough to satisfy anyone. The real gem is an audio-only recording of the original read-through of the script that the Pythons did prior to shooting the film, with pictures of the script accompanying it. [EDIT] Plus, there's a great new documentary that IMHO is a lot better than the documentary included in the Criterion release.

Is it worth buying? If you're a very casual fan and you already have the Criterion SD, then probably not. However, if you have any warmer liking of Python, then I'd say this is a no-brainer. FWIW, I'm not a particularly strong Python fan and I haven't regretted buying it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It contains a brand new documentary instead. I personally thought it far better because it gave a lot more insight into the battle it took to get the movie made, the various protests and objections when it came out, etc. Plus, it contains a moment of Brit cultural history - the confrontation on a Brit TV programme between an Anglican bishop and a well known Brit religious commentator called Malcolm Muggeridge (loved by some and loathed by a great many more Brits) and Messrs Palin and Cleese. The Pythons won hands down because they were dignified and rational whilst the bishop and Muggeridge were patronising and childish. The incident promoted a lot of comment at the time in the UK. You also get details of the Brit towns that banned The Life of Brian. There's a wonderful piece of archive footage of one town councellor (i.e. local politician) who admitted he hadn't seen the film before he'd voted for banning it. The documentary on the Criterion was made contemporaneously with the film for the BBC, and lacks a lot of the insights that hindsight can bring, and of course contains very little detail on the behind the scenes fights and problems that were taking place.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
On the Sony blu-ray release, did it have the original Orion or WB logo at the start of the film? Orion/WB originally released the film in the US in 1979? If not, what logo was there at the start of the film? Just curious.
Thanks,
ERICKA

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see any logo - went straight to the first scene of a starry sky (I thought it was going to turn into the Orion logo, but it didn't).

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
In my opinion the picture quality is simply fabulous on the Blu-ray release.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've had the U.K. BD since it came out. I'm real impressed with the image. The several really weak scenes stille look weak but overall the image is considerably better than the Criterion DVD. I concur with Andrew that the new documentary is very good.

The only thing that leaves me curious is that everything is on one BD in the U.K. and two discs here in Estados Unidos.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Just received the Blu-ray from Amazon.com and the invoice reads "Monty Python's Life Of Brian - Two - Disc Collector's Edition...", but there is only ONE disc in the case and no mention of a second disc on the cover.:confused:

Edit: The Title on the case-cover reads: "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Immaculate Edition".

Paul

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Does "Immaculate" = (or suggest) the use of DNR on 'roids? ;) :D J/K of course. :P

Now I kinda wish I had ordered it during the last BOGO sales on Amazon. :frowning:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks