-

Photo
- - - - -

Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' on Blu-Ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted August 27 2007 - 08:00 AM

Another must have for me.

Quote:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced it will bring a new version of Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' to Blu-ray this November. 'Life of Brian' has been released in many past incarnations on disc, most notably a Criterion Collection laserdisc as well as a previous Collector's Edition from Sony on standard-def DVD.

Now, the studio is preparing yet another new anniversary edition for November 6, due day-and-date on Blu-ray and DVD.

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#2 of 68 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 27 2007 - 08:23 AM

Excellent.

"Follow the gourd"!
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 68 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted August 27 2007 - 11:01 AM

"Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly!"

Looks like a must have release (though I'm sure someone will find something about this to whine about). Posted Image I'm happy to retire my Criterion, the PQ looks like ass.

Full specs:

http://www.highdefdi...._(UPDATED)/901

Quote:

Among the extras new to this release are "The Story of Brian," a 60-minute documentary, and "The Readthrough," an original illustrated 110-minute audio recording of the Pythons reading an early version of the film's screenplay. Also on the Blu-ray will be features from Sony's previous DVD release, including two audio commentaries with members of the Pythons, five deleted scenes and vintage radio spots.
Tech specs include a 1080p video transfer and uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround audio.
Sony has set a $28.99 list price for the Blu-ray.

Death before Streaming!

#4 of 68 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,177 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 27 2007 - 12:28 PM

I saw it in its theatrical rerelease, and it looked pretty grimy there too. That look isn't my cup of tea, but perhaps that's what the directors wanted?

Will we also be getting Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#5 of 68 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 11:15 AM

Picture quality of "Monty Python's Life of Brian" (Blu-ray)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek
The title was extremely grainy so we tried the Lowry process and liked the results. There are a couple of scenes that show artifacts of the process (shots of the sky in particular), but the overall result was a big improvement. This will be something of a test for other titles that have similar issues, so I will be interested to read any and all comments from those who see the results.
Link

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#6 of 68 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,177 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 14 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hopefully Lowry/DTS won't meddle with the colors and white levels the way they did on the Disney and 007 projects they were handed.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#7 of 68 Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 12:49 PM

I've read a couple of reviews of the Blu-Ray release and I'm trying to determine whether I can retire my Criterion DVD or not.

Does anybody know whether all of the suppliments are actually carried over from the Criterion DVD? The review from DVD Authority says they are, but I don't see any mention of the 50 minute documentary, The Pythons.

DVD Authority | Blu-Ray review of "The Life of Brian: The Immaculate Edition (Blu-Ray)"

DVDFILE.com

#8 of 68 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 24 2008 - 01:41 PM

It looks like the prices on the BD are only going to be a few dollars more than the SD version.

For example: Amazon.com: SD-$16.99 BD-$19.95 Posted Image

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#9 of 68 Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
It looks like the prices on the BD are only going to be a few dollars more than the SD version.

I bought it in one of the amazon buy-one-get-one-free sales, so I only paid about $10. Posted Image

#10 of 68 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Pauswinski
I bought it in one of the amazon buy-one-get-one-free sales, so I only paid about $10. Posted Image

Me too, except it was less than $8. Posted Image Man, I miss the BOGOs and 10% discount already.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 68 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 06:33 AM

Got it (it's been out in Region B for some time). Picture and sound are both fine, but not top notch demonstration quality (but who on earth would buy this movie as a demo disc anyway?). It easily beats the best SD version, and the extras are more than enough to satisfy anyone. The real gem is an audio-only recording of the original read-through of the script that the Pythons did prior to shooting the film, with pictures of the script accompanying it. [EDIT] Plus, there's a great new documentary that IMHO is a lot better than the documentary included in the Criterion release.

Is it worth buying? If you're a very casual fan and you already have the Criterion SD, then probably not. However, if you have any warmer liking of Python, then I'd say this is a no-brainer. FWIW, I'm not a particularly strong Python fan and I haven't regretted buying it.

#12 of 68 Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 07:50 AM

I'm not crazy. This blu-ray release is missing the Criterion "The Pythons" documentary. It still sounds like a winner, though. Posted Image

Blu-ray Review: Monty Python's Life of Brian | High-Def Digest

#13 of 68 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 12:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not crazy. This blu-ray release is missing the Criterion "The Pythons" documentary. It still sounds like a winner, though.
It contains a brand new documentary instead. I personally thought it far better because it gave a lot more insight into the battle it took to get the movie made, the various protests and objections when it came out, etc. Plus, it contains a moment of Brit cultural history - the confrontation on a Brit TV programme between an Anglican bishop and a well known Brit religious commentator called Malcolm Muggeridge (loved by some and loathed by a great many more Brits) and Messrs Palin and Cleese. The Pythons won hands down because they were dignified and rational whilst the bishop and Muggeridge were patronising and childish. The incident promoted a lot of comment at the time in the UK. You also get details of the Brit towns that banned The Life of Brian. There's a wonderful piece of archive footage of one town councellor (i.e. local politician) who admitted he hadn't seen the film before he'd voted for banning it. The documentary on the Criterion was made contemporaneously with the film for the BBC, and lacks a lot of the insights that hindsight can bring, and of course contains very little detail on the behind the scenes fights and problems that were taking place.

#14 of 68 EricKA

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 01:04 AM

Andrew,
On the Sony blu-ray release, did it have the original Orion or WB logo at the start of the film? Orion/WB originally released the film in the US in 1979? If not, what logo was there at the start of the film? Just curious.
Thanks,
ERICKA

#15 of 68 Asahikasei

Asahikasei

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 07:22 AM

Good to see this will be a must buy.

#16 of 68 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 27 2008 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
did it have the original Orion or WB logo at the start of the film?
Didn't see any logo - went straight to the first scene of a starry sky (I thought it was going to turn into the Orion logo, but it didn't).

#17 of 68 Seppo

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted January 27 2008 - 12:31 AM

In my opinion the picture quality is simply fabulous on the Blu-ray release.

#18 of 68 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 04:01 AM

I've had the U.K. BD since it came out. I'm real impressed with the image. The several really weak scenes stille look weak but overall the image is considerably better than the Criterion DVD. I concur with Andrew that the new documentary is very good.

The only thing that leaves me curious is that everything is on one BD in the U.K. and two discs here in Estados Unidos.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#19 of 68 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael B
The only thing that leaves me curious is that everything is on one BD in the U.K. and two discs here in Estados Unidos.
Just received the Blu-ray from Amazon.com and the invoice reads "Monty Python's Life Of Brian - Two - Disc Collector's Edition...", but there is only ONE disc in the case and no mention of a second disc on the cover.Posted Image

Edit: The Title on the case-cover reads: "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Immaculate Edition".

Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#20 of 68 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,845 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 11:08 AM

Does "Immaculate" = (or suggest) the use of DNR on 'roids? Posted Image Posted Image J/K of course. Posted Image

Now I kinda wish I had ordered it during the last BOGO sales on Amazon. Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow