What's new

This Can't Be True! Reeves in The Day The Earth Stood Still Remake! (1 Viewer)

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
I like Keanu. He's aware of his limitations and he has actually improved as an actor.

Isn't this a sort of cold character anyway? He should be fine in the role. I'd worry about the rest of the film, they might bring in the Wachowski siblings to do some reshoots.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm most concerned about the casting of the robot, Klatu. Or rather the design. I've always thought that Klatu was in the top 3 of robots, for design. He is really ominous and imposing just standing still. Then he moves and knees wrinkle.

I'd like them to use the same design and just fix his technical drawbacks.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Well you're definitely not a fan of the film, one of the most famous sci-fi films ever. Otherwise you'd know 'Gort' was the name of the robot and 'Klaatu' was the alien emissary sent to Earth with a warning. Michael Rennie played Klaatu in the 1951 classic.

Keanu Reeves as Klaatu? pfft if I were making a list of 100 possible actors for the part, Keanu wouldn't be on there. Perfect for The Matrix but as Klaatu? Nic Cage must have been busy. ;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
[gag] Gort done in CGI! [gag]

What skinny, self absorbed teen sweetie will pay the woman who steals Klaatu's cold heart! Of course she will be divorced and have a bitter 5 or 6 year old son who ol' Klaat will befriend, before he goes down that wrong path. Bet Klaatu wont be Mr. Carpenter anymore. Cant have any symbolism in our sci-fi.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Don't forget that they had to add the line to effect that only the "almighty spirit" can bring someone back to life permanently. If I remember the documentary correctly, that wasn't in the original screenplay and had to be added to satisfy a certain crowd.

[sigh]Things have changed a lot since this movie was made, but some things haven't changed.

While Reeves wouldn't have been my first choice, maybe he can pull it off. The question will be if we can believe he'd be willing to turn the earth into toast.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On the surface, this does sound like a trainwreck.

What I'd be curious of is the director, Scott Derrickson and the writer. Anyone know their work? I only saw that Derrickson has done a horror film and a few other things, not a lot. I don't know those projects.

What I'd hope is that they make this a thoughtful and intelligent film, worthy of the Wise version. Perhaps on the level of the Jodie Foster film, Contact. That means to me that they limit the CGI and avoid excessive mindless action and destruction. But somehow, I think that the studio will feel a direct remake of the original will not play well to today's youth. Maybe if Spielberg was involved, this might turn out okay, but War of the Worlds didn't work for me, mostly because the Tom Cruise character was so unlikeable. The stack does appear to be loaded towards one big dissappointment.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The odds that this will be even close to the greatness of the original are remote. Reeves doesn't have the presence that Rennie had, the musical score won't be anywhere near as good as the great Bernard Hermann original, and I think Rick is right, much of the symbolism will be lost. It also wouldn't surprise me if this Klaatu babbles on a bit about global warming. Sigh...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Are there really no new ideas in Hollywood? Count me out of this disaster. The original is perfection and doesn't need to be tinkered with. What's next, a remake of "Gone with the Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I think remaking this film is a huge mistake. There's no need to; despite being filmed decades ago, the film and its message still hold up very, very well.

Having said that...I'll be a lone voice of dissent and say I have no problems with Reeve's casting. Frankly, I think his stoicism and "woodeness" work in favor of the role rather than against it. This part could actually work - it's the rest of the film they're going to f**k up.

(Seriously - this film needs a remake even less than the original Halloween. WTF, Hollywood suits?)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Remaking this film is a travesty. The original film is perfect - one of the few perfect movies in the history of cinema.

I can see the CGI explosions already. Bad enough they remade Planet of the Apes into the montrosity the Burton film was. Enough! Enough of this shit!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Day The Earth Stood Still is an excellent movie but I don't care if they remake it or any other movie because I don't have to see it, it doesn't effect the greatness of the original and it may actually get people to check out the original if they like the remake.

I love Halloween but if the remake is lousy (and advance word says that is), I don't care because it doesn't diminish the original in way, shape or form and the same is true for The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The messages and themes contained in the original movie are even more valid today. I am not opposed to a remake that focuses on those aspects of the original. Obviously, major changes to the storyline to convey those ideas are necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks