Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector suggestions? I'm STUMPED!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   JamieD

JamieD

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 06:36 AM

Hey folks, kind of torn.. thinking either this guy:
http://www.futuresho....gon=&langid=EN

Since it's on sale,
or the Optoma 770, cause I can get it at Costco (around 1100 with a screen thrown in, I don't want to DIY screen) .. anyone else have any thoughts?

This isn't the Optoma that's in the store, but what about this setup?

http://www.costco.ca....=1&topnav=&s=1

Dangit, I don't remember how to insert links. Posted Image
My Small (But Prized) DVD Collection!

"Actually, I am in really bad shape financially."

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 469 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted August 26 2007 - 08:09 AM

That first link is a business projector, not really designed for home theater use. Just because it will accept HDTV signals does not mean it can do them justice. Don't get it!

I would suggest that you go to TigerDirect.com and get the Samsung/Joe Kane Productions SP-H710AE DLP projector before they're all gone. It originally sold for $12,000.00 and is available there for less than $900.00, with full 2 year factory warranty. That projector looks better than the vast majority of current PJs on the market, including five-figure models. Joe Kane has been proving it in trade shows over and over again, all over the world. I have one in my by-appointment demo theater and love it. Yes, I bought it from Tiger Direct and have purchased many various pieces of equipment from them (computer stuff mostly) over the last 7 years. I know of no better deal on truly reference quality video currently anywhere in the universe!

If you miss their limited quantity, the Costco deal is a viable alternative for your budget. Don't hesitate on the Samsung.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   JamieD

JamieD

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts

Posted August 28 2007 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for the great advice/suggestions.

That does look to be a great projector, unfortunately, tigerdirect.ca is needed for us poor Canucks, and they don't seem to have it. Posted Image

But the costco deal may soon be ordered!

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted August 29 2007 - 04:09 AM

try to figure out a way to get the Sammy...perhaps a 3rd party can accept it for you in the US and then forward it to you in Canada??

This is a very sweet projector and definitely not in the class of the other sub $1K units on the market.

Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 07:41 AM

Are the blacks really that good on the Samsung? Wondering how much of an improvement I'd get in color/contrast over my Panasonic AE900...
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 469 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted August 29 2007 - 08:20 AM

The Samsung has a reputation for exceptional blacks, contrast and shadow detail. Your Panasonic LCD is incapable of accurate color. The Samsung is one of the few consumer displays of any type that offers reference color. It is used in Hollywood for post production work. If you value image fidelity, this is your ticket. If you prefer distorted images, like many consumers, consider another solution.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   JamieD

JamieD

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 12:43 AM

Unfortunately, no, I don't think I know anyone who could forward it on. It's a shame. Maybe I'll contact tigerdirect.