Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iTunes ripping question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted August 25 2007 - 03:17 PM

I have an audio book that is on 15 CDs and was wonder if it is possible to rip all the CDs into one big AAC file?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 05:41 AM

There maybe some way to do that, but I don't think iTunes will do it. Do you really need it on one file? You could just convert each CD and name the titles sequentially, so they would play automatically in order.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   KevA

KevA

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 09:04 AM

Patrick,

You can do this if you set the encoding to MP3 and use either of the two following applications to combine the separate files:

Rejoiner: http://www.versiontr...fo/macosx/23564

or

MP3 Trimmer (a great app; trims files but also has a join function): http://www.versiontr...fo/macosx/20938

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the links. That brought something to mind. I have started using LAME to encode mp3s instead of iTunes, but the iTunes interface for LAME (at least the one I have) does not let you join tracks that have no break between them. It would be a couple extra steps, but these apps will let me use LAME and join together the tracks which need it.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
Do you really need it on one file?
Well of course it is not a matter of life or death. Right now I simply combine all the tracks on an individual CD into one file and title it with the book’s title followed by (Disc ##). iTunes indexes them in order and it is ok but lately I have gotten some audio books that are one file and I find them to be immensely more convenient since they remember where the listener left off.

KevA, thanks for the links I will definitely give those applications a try.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 09:33 AM

I remember doing this in iTunes and just had the chance to look. It seems you can only combined tracks when you're importing a CD. Just select all the tracks you'd like to combine and select Advanced-Join CD Tracks. But since your tracks are over 15 CDs, this won't completely solve the problem.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,339 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 04 2007 - 01:59 PM

This Mac Gem sounds like what you want (if you've not yet solved the problem).