Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Gate (1987) deserves a Special Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   PaulKTF

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 25 2007 - 09:57 AM

Anyone else like the 1987 horror movie The Gate? It was released on DVD in a bare bones pan-and-scan transfer and it's now out of print. I'd love for it to be re-released in widescreen with at least the trailer and a few Tv spots...
-Paul.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted August 25 2007 - 10:36 AM

I was under the impression that the DVD you are refering to was a pirate disc, could be wrong though.

I agree, "The Gate" certainly deserves at least a widescreen release. I wish Anchor Bay owned this one.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   PaulKTF

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 25 2007 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Allred
I was under the impression that the DVD you are refering to was a pirate disc, could be wrong though.

I agree, "The Gate" certainly deserves at least a widescreen release. I wish Anchor Bay owned this one.

As far as I know, it was a legitimate release (but I coudl be wrong of course).
-Paul.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted August 25 2007 - 07:40 PM

THE GATE was legit, as the owners of the New Century/Vista library gave this, THE WRAITH, TRICK OR TREAT, RUSSKIES, DEFENSELESS to Platinum DVD.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 06:26 PM

Platinum has now rechristened itself Echo Bridge, and is looking to be on a level with the other big indie DVD labels, so maybe this will mean they will go back and revisit the New Century titles that they previously released.

Or, since it has been about five years or so since their budget-level DVDs first came out, the package may be up for sale again and this time another company will do them better.

But I've always been curious as to how TRICK OR TREAT wound up in this batch, as it was a DEG release and it was initially on VHS through Lorimar, who had also released DEG movies like MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE and BLUE VELVET. StudioCanal owns the DEG library, and aside from BLUE VELVET, which they seem to have full-on sold to MGM for theatrical and DVD release, they have been slowly reissuing them through deals with Anchor Bay, Fox (both expired), and now Lionsgate. But TRICK has languished somehow.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
Platinum has now rechristened itself Echo Bridge, and is looking to be on a level with the other big indie DVD labels, so maybe this will mean they will go back and revisit the New Century titles that they previously released.

Interesting to hear that, Mark. I know that Echo Bridge is doing a re-release of PROM NIGHT that is due out in a few weeks, supposedly in WS, although other details are scant. I have Platinum's previous release of this title, and it was a horrible full-screen, sub-VHS quality transfer. Given that, and the low price of the upcoming re-release ($5.99 or so at most online retailers), I am holding out very little hope that this release will be much of an improvement. But perhaps (and hopefully) I will be proven wrong, and we will at least finally get a WS 16x9 version of PROM NIGHT.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 08:31 AM

According to amazon.com unbox downloads , the current studio that owns the rights are lionsgate.So dont be suprised, if its rereleased later this year on dvd, hopefully with a widescreen transfer and lots of extras like the monster squad dvd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until then, im still holding on to the old fullscreen dvd , I dont care that its fetching big bucks, I love this movie to give it up.
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

Forum Nav Content I Follow