What's new

Movie soundtracks (1 Viewer)

keenwatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sean
Does anyone else have a passion for movie soundtracks?

I think they are the modern equivalent to classical music.

Some of my favourites (and i have many different movie genres) are:

Dances with Wolves (John Barry won an Oscar)

Van Helsing

The Mummy

Blade Runner

Vangelis (themes)

Romeo is Bleeding (Mark Isham)

Fifth Element (Eric Serra)

The Messenger (Eric Serra)

La Femme Nikita (Eric Serra)

The Professional (Eric Serra)

The Prisoner (3 disc tv series)

The Saint (both soundtracks)

Master and Commander Far Side of the World

A Beautiful Mind

A.I.

Star Wars series (John Williams)

Harry Potter series

King Kong (John Barry)

Battlestar Galactica series (original and remakes tv)

The Sopranos (tv series)

Ronin

Lord of the Rings series

Replacement Killers

Black Hawk Down (Hans Zimmer)

Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)

MI-2 (Hans Zimmer)

Bourne Identity and Supremacy

Tears of the Sun (Hans Zimmer)

Pirates of the Carribean Dead Mans Chest (Hans Zimmer)

Pirates of the Carribean Black Pearl

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Catch Me if You Can (John Williams)

The Passion of the Christ

Vertigo (Bernard Herrmann)

North by Northwest (Bernard Herrmann)

Day the Earth Stood Still (Bernard Herrmann)

Thin Red Line (Hans Zimmer)

Thief (Tangerine Dream)

Ghost in the Shell

The Avengers

Alexander (Vangelis)

Kingdom of Heaven

Patriot Games

Moby I like to Score

Amelie

Life Aquatic

Rob Roy

Well, thats most of the ones I took with me in cd cases when I recently moved over a thousand miles away, after my mother's passing in May.

Does anyone else collect soundtrack's? I have been for many years and have many more (just cant think of them).

I find this music (with no lyrics mostly-the orchestral scores) to be relaxing and unwinding and with many different moods (themes) to choose from. No lyrics like rock albums that sometimes have lyrics you cant make out or understand.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I collect James Horner's film scores. Absolutely love his music.
Oh and it gets worse: I don't like John Williams or Hans Zimmer's music...I'm a leper in film music fandom.
Go ahead, mock me all you want.
;)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think some movies owe much of their greatness to the score/soundtrack. Films like Rocky (Bill Conti) and Batman (Danny Elfman) would not be nearly as memorable were it not for the music, and movies like Pulp Fiction and Boogie Nights were able to bring back forgotten or obscure -- but still great -- songs from the past to add a unique feel.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Nicholas Martin said:
I collect James Horner's film scores. Absolutely love his music.
Oh and it gets worse: I don't like John Williams or Hans Zimmer's music...I'm a leper in film music fandom.
Go ahead, mock me all you want.
;)
James Horner is my favourite composer. I have over 80 of his scores. I love film music, it is my # 1 musical love (U2 are a close second) :)
I have 400+ scores and it is the most remarkable genre of music. I can taste any style and flavor the world over through film scores! But Horner is my clear favourite, with his scores for Aliens, Four Feathers, Glory and Wrath of Khan being my faves of his.
I could talk about film scores all day :)

keenwatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sean
Nicholas:

I would not mock you, everyone has their own taste and dislikes. I happen to like James Horner too.

Neil:

I thougt I had alot of film scores, around 100 or so, but you certainly outdo me. My favourite part of Horner's Aliens is the music that plays as the Nostromo escape shuttle is drifting and found, also the alien action scenes.

Brian:

I think you are right about some albums resurecting oldies to our attention and re-discovery (like Quentin Tarantino does). I like Danny Elfman too, his Planet of the Apes score was great.

Forgot to mention John Barry's 13 great James Bond scores (the first seven films are the best, plus Moonraker- an album I had on vinyl when I was a kid).

I think Eric Serra has a flair for the strange (Fifth Element, Nikita, Professional).

Neil:

Besides Horner, what are some of your favourite album scores, titles?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
keenwatcher said:
Nicholas:
Neil:
Besides Horner, what are some of your favourite album scores, titles?
Well, no music fan can call themselves that without having a good selection of Jerry Goldsmith in their collection :)
I love Philip Glass, John Powell, David Arnold (a fellow brit), Christopher Young, David Julyan (another Brit), alot of Marco Beltrami's work, John Williams and Hans Zimmer (sorry Nicholas) :) and a host of other great musical talents, like Howard Shore, Bernard Herrmann, Graeme Revell, Mychael Danna and more. But, when all is said and done, it is Horner that gets the most spins in my CD player (or whatever the equivilent saying is for listening to him on my iPod) :)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Neil Middlemiss said:
I love Philip Glass, John Powell, David Arnold (a fellow brit), Christopher Young, David Julyan (another Brit), alot of Marco Beltrami's work, John Williams and Hans Zimmer (sorry Nicholas) :) and a host of other great musical talents, like Howard Shore, Bernard Herrmann, Graeme Revell, Mychael Danna and more. But, when all is said and done, it is Horner that gets the most spins in my CD player (or whatever the equivilent saying is for listening to him on my iPod) :)
Hey, no problem. Funny you mentioned David Arnold, since his score for Independence Day is my all-time favorite score. I don't have everything of his, but I had to, just HAD TO get the limited edition Godzilla complete score.
The only Zimmer music I can say I truly enjoy are The Simpsons Movie and Batman Begins, the latter of which grew on me the more I watched that fantastic film.
I have just about everything Horner's ever done, including my own recorded direct-from-broadcast samples of his CBS Evening News music. I edited together the complete theme from the various recordings I made of it. I love his music, know ALL ABOUT every ounce of controversy and criticism regarding it. Many people think I have a blind adoration of his music, but I know all the arguments, and I just don't care anymore about the bashers out there.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Nicholas Martin said:
I have just about everything Horner's ever done, including my own recorded direct-from-broadcast samples of his CBS Evening News music. I edited together the complete theme from the various recordings I made of it. I love his music, know ALL ABOUT every ounce of controversy and criticism regarding it. Many people think I have a blind adoration of his music, but I know all the arguments, and I just don't care anymore about the bashers out there.
I am right there with you. If another person decides to trash a horner score because it contains his 4 note motif or peices lifted from his other scores, I don't know what I'll do. I love to hear him quote himself in different scores. For example, the strong theme from Searching for Bobby Fischer that he quotes in Bicentennial Man and again in A Beautiful Mind is a stunning peice of music that he presents differently each time and, in the context of the rest of the music from those scores, comes across very differently...I just love it!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
My first soundtrack purchase was Bye Bye Birdie.
My most recent was Once.
I got swept up by the chemistry of the leads in "Once" singing songs they had written. After one listen to the CD I realized I really hated the music, go figure. ;)
In the 44 years between those films there are many soundtracks in the collection.
One much loved piece that comes to mind is "Once Upon A Time In America".

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Neil Middlemiss said:
is a stunning peice of music that he presents differently each time and, in the context of the rest of the music from those scores, comes across very differently...I just love it!
While I can understand why people have serious issues with that, which I will NOT go into because there literally isn't anything more to say about it...it's subject that has been beaten to death, many people think I am this blind fanboy because I too love that he returns to certain musical phrases and such. The issue of classical borrowing is also a non-issue for me. I am completely aware of it, but I don't have the hang-ups most people do about it.

keenwatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sean
Yes, I like Horner too, but dont yet have many of his cd's.

I liked the movies- Outland and Legend, so those would be on my list to get.

I have his excellent In Like Flint, Our Man Flint and Alien, Aliens scores.

James Newton Howard's new King Kong soundtrack is good, even though Peter Jackson replaced Howard Shore who worked with him on the LOTR.

Howard Shore is good.

There are many more I like, but as the majority of my scores are in storage out of state, I cant remember many, only mostly the ones I brought and listed above.

Happy to see that there are others out there who like collecting just as much as me, and more.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
keenwatcher said:
Yes, I like Horner too, but dont yet have many of his cd's.
I liked the movies- Outland and Legend, so those would be on my list to get.
I have his excellent In Like Flint, Our Man Flint and Alien, Aliens scores.
Out of those films listed, Horner only did ALIENS.
Jerry Goldsmith did every other film you listed.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Nicholas is quite right, even though a cue from Goldsmith's ALIEN score was used near the end of ALIENS, when the Queen has broken loose and is headed toward Ripley and Newt as they wait for the elevator... :)
Goldsmith really was a magnificant composer - the world is lesser for his loss.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
And somehow some of Horner's ALIENS ended up in the end of "DIE HARD" most likely as temp music that was left in. I laugh whenever I hear it because I know that music so well. (the opening half of the cue 'Resolution and Hyperspace', ironically NOT heard in ALIENS at all )

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I remember first realizing that Horner's music was in Die Hard and loving it. When I watch Die Hard now, I can't help but feel the Horner track is a little out of sync with the amazing score that Michael Kamen created. Excellent track, but just enough like the tone and flavor of what Kamen created for that film.

I wish that Kamen had been around to score HBO's The Pacific to see how he would follow up on his terrific Band of Brothers score.

Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin
And somehow some of Horner's ALIENS ended up in the end of "DIE HARD" most likely as temp music that was left in. I laugh whenever I hear it because I know that music so well. (the opening half of the cue 'Resolution and Hyperspace', ironically NOT heard in ALIENS at all )

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I love movie soundtracks, here are the ones I have:
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
All the Star Wars movies
All the Indy Movies
All the Star Trek movies (1-6) and including ST II and III Expanded.
Aliens
Field of Dreams (I think this is a VERY underrated score)
Jaws (Original and Expanded)
Jaws 2
ET
Ten Commandments
King of Kings
Lord of The Rings Trilogy (Original and Expanded)
Vertigo
North By Northwest
Babes in Arms
Strike Up The Band
Babes On Broadway
Girl Crazy
Wizard of Oz
Peter Pan
Pocohantas
Sleeping Beauty
Little Mermaid
Mary Poppins
Wyatt Earp
Twister
Close Encounters (original and expanded)
Father of the Bride
Pirates of the Carribean Trilogy
Rocky I,II,III,IV

Planning on getting Batman (Expanded) and Batman Returns (Expanded when it comes out)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Bob - Great collection. You have my all-time favourite score (Aliens) and one of James Horner's other most incredible scores (Field of Dreams).

Do you have the expanded edition of the Aliens score?

Originally Posted by Bob_S.
Aliens
Field of Dreams (I think this is a VERY underrated score)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks