Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Ever watch a movie more than once in a single day?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 of 39 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,113 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 28 2007 - 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
In fact, I've seen lots of films twice because of this.. my wife will say "is this any good? Find out, and if it is, we'll go" So, I will go over lunch, watch, tell her, and we'll go or not *laugh* the benefit of having a theater next to where I'm at and having them as clients to make it easy.
How does one go to a movie "over lunch"? Are three hours lunches routine for your business? Posted Image Color me jealous!

(Well, I did see Godzilla "over lunch" in grad school. Posted Image)

#22 of 39 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 28 2007 - 10:07 AM

I think the closet I ever got was seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark five times in two weeks.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#23 of 39 OFFLINE   Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted August 28 2007 - 12:46 PM

I grew up mostly in secluded military bases (one in Germany) and we only had the one theatre so if a film came, it would only play for three or four days, and if it was a film I really loved, I'd often see it as many times as I could. I'd often stay for both evening showings, or see a weekend matinee, then go to an evening show.

Also if we rented a film, and had to return it the next day, I'd almost always watch the film twice, even if I didn't think that much of it.

Of course if you include watching a film on DVD, and then watching it again with the commentary on, then there are countless films I've watched countless films more than once in a single day.

#24 of 39 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted August 28 2007 - 03:56 PM

I saw Return of the Jedi 3 or 4 times in '83, but not in the same day.

However, I did see Star Wars nearly every time HBO aired it (in '82?) which was at least twice a day.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#25 of 39 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted August 29 2007 - 06:35 AM

I saw Attack of the Clones 3 times in 24 hours (midnight show, afternoon and evening). I saw all of the LOTR releases at least twice in 24 hours, as well. The only one I didn't see at least 6 times in the theater was ROTK.

Otherwise, I often watch a new DVD twice, the second time with commentary.

I've also been known to watch a trilogy or quadrilogy back to back in one day.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#26 of 39 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 10:46 AM

The only time I can remember doing this in adult life was for Phantom Menace where I saw the midnight show, then the next day saw it at 10am and 7pm.

4+ years ago I also did the watch a movie, then w/commentary thing fairly regularly. Now I consider myself lucky if I can get through one whole movie without falling asleep. I usually don't even attempt a 2nd different film, much less the same one over again.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#27 of 39 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,188 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 29 2007 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_M
I saw Attack of the Clones 3 times in 24 hours (midnight show, afternoon and evening).
I had forgotten that I saw Attack Of The Clones four times on the opening day somewhat by accident. I went with my buddy to the midnight and first morning show. Then I took my sisters in the mid-afternoon. That was going to be it but then my buddy talked me into going to the 9 PM show. That was a long day. Posted Image

#28 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 12:37 PM

Never in the theater, but the first time we (my family) ever saw The Princess Bride (on VHS) we just ended up watching it again for no particular reason. I think its just that good.

#29 of 39 OFFLINE   StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 02:37 AM

I was at a friend's house overnight a little over 6 years ago, and watched the Empire Strikes back at around 4 or 5 in the morning because I couldn't sleep. A few hours later he wanted to watch it, so I watched it again with him.

#30 of 39 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 07:28 AM

In the early '70s I used to do this sort of thing. I have sat through three showings of 2001 in a commercial theater in one day (and ended it with a memorable headache). And a number of times I've sat through 2001 twice at commercial theaters. I like that film.

#31 of 39 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 08:03 AM

Criterion laserdisc of Cronenberg's CRASH. First the movie, then the commentary.

Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY. Again, movie first then commentary.

A few TV shows (on DVD) I've watched multiple episodes twice in the same day. Arrested Development, Weeds.

#32 of 39 OFFLINE   Claire Panke

Claire Panke

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 03:43 PM

Sure I have, for movies I've fallen in love with.

It gets expensive in a theater, but there's nothing like seeing a great movie on the big screen.

On a slightly different bent, I've watched several films during a given day/night at a film festival. I'm good for up to 4-5 movies a day after a good night's rest.

#33 of 39 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted September 01 2007 - 12:56 PM

A few weeks ago, I watched The Cutting Edge on HBO East and then again on HBO West when I couldn't decide what else to watch. It was jarring going from widescreen on East to fullscreen on West. I don't have the DVD, otherwise I would have gotten up and popped it in.

Toepick! Posted Image

#34 of 39 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 01 2007 - 03:32 PM

One of my all-time favorites, "Arthur," was the first to earn this honer from me. Since then, I think Groundhog Day and Love Stinks have also joined the club. Normally, my wife suspects I may be a bit "unbalanced," but when I do this type of stuff, she's totally convinced of it.Posted Image

Gunny
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#35 of 39 OFFLINE   mtlfilmguy

mtlfilmguy

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted September 01 2007 - 05:09 PM

I'm willing to bet im the biggest film fan in Montreal,bar none

I watch everthing well not EVERYTHING.I dont think i could sit through Warhol's Empire (probably go nuts on the fifth hour and first things first,is it available anyways ? )

but the rest,bring it on ! Everything from Rashomon to Mothra back to Kane and Faster pussycat! Kill! Kill !.

Some films ive seen many many times.easily in the hundreds with Lawrence of Arabia and Blade runner.

But never done a double or triple on the same day.

Does one and a half count ?

One film.One time.

I'm seeing Total recall for the first time in the theater right?
Then they get Arnold in that alley to kill him,and i believe i was so stunned by the effectiveness of the editing and sound effects of that sequence,i literally ran out to buy a ticket for the following showing..

The ticket lady was speechless i think.Posted Image

Ben

#36 of 39 OFFLINE   Doug Ennis

Doug Ennis

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 06:13 AM

I can think of 3 times I have done this, not counting watching a dvd twice, the second time with commentary.

The 2 films I saw twice in the same day in theaters were Cry-Baby and Edward Scissorhands. I've been a huge Johnny Depp fan ever since.

I watched Lost in Translation about 10 times in the first week it came out on DVD, including at least 3 times in one day.

#37 of 39 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, fairly often. Obviously for things like Lord of the Rings where I had the tickets even before the first showing. But I'll also go right back and see a film if I was just that impressed by it.

It's rare that I go the same day to the theater in that case. Usually I try to get the wife or a friend to go the 2nd time which means the next day or two before I get back (Fight Club took an extra day, Matrix as well).

But on VHS/DVD not only would I watch a classic twice in a row just for fun (or friends coming in late and wanting to watch from the start), but I would also turn around and rewatch a new film I'd just seen, and I don't mean commentary mode.

Some examples I'm certain on - Die Hard (VHS), as soon as it ended. Donnie Darko (DVD). There's been many of these. Always a good sign when a new screening makes that strong an impression on you.

#38 of 39 OFFLINE   felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 05:24 AM

memento, a few years ago. simply because couldnt understand what it was all about...hehehe...even after the second viewing, it was still confusing.

#39 of 39 OFFLINE   MandyHan

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 09:07 AM

I think I've watched Best In Show twice in one day. Because it's so damn funny. And maybe Donnie Darko? So I could figure it out, I think.

Forum Nav Content I Follow