What's new

Paramount - Shows still to come (we hope) (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
How about a list of what else Paramount still has in the vaults? I pick them because they are the only major that seems to have any interest in their back catalog whatsoever. The other studios older shows will rot before they ever see the light of day. Now even though Paramount has some really great short run series, I'm not listing them here, concentrating on the series with more episodes. The short-run list would be at least twice as long and as of yet they have not really shown an interest in those shows.

Bonanza, December Bride, Our Miss Brooks, The Millionaire, The Lineup, Bilko (still awaiting season sets), Trackdown, Whirlybirds, My Three Sons, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The Nurses, Lucy Show, Mod Squad, Mannix, High Chaparral, People's Choice, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, The Invaders, The Rebel, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, One Step Beyond, The Outlaws, Car 54, NYPD, Petrocelli.

So as you can see, they still have a lot of big run shows that they can tackle.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Hank, tvshowsondvd.com reported back on Feb. 23rd that Mod Squad S1 Vol. 1 is in the works for 2007. Looked like a "solid" rumor at the time, but no info since.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Would love to see Bonanza, December Bride, Our Miss Brooks, The Millionaire, My Three Sons, Ben Casey, The Nurses, Mannix, High Chaparral, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Car 54.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Some people say I'm the Great Pessimist of the Internet, but let's be real here. What would you say the honest odds are that Paramount will release season sets of "December Bride"? If they're not even interested in "Bonanza" or "The Beverly Hillbillies," both of which were Number One shows in their day -- or "The Lucy Show," starring the woman who is still probably the most popular TV star in history -- I doubt they'll consider "December Bride."

Now, I have fond memories of that show, but I think the last time I saw it was in 1961. You'd have to be close to getting social security (or older) to really have vivid memories of it.

But while we're at it, let's campaign for its spinoff, "Pete and Gladys," too! :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Paramount has done a phenomenal job releasing so many of it's classics. This studio continues to stay in first place, IMHO, when it comes to Classic TVonDVD. Having said all that, there are still some very solid shows in their stable, and I'd look for the following to get releases at some point next year:

Lucy Show
Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
My Three Sons
The Invaders

Not sure about the others, although there are many I'd love to see released (The Defenders, Our Miss Brooks, Bilko, The Nurses, and High Chaparral in particular). Heck, I'd take a shot at just about all the shows listed in Hank's initial list.

Gary "I especially want the ones I listed as probable for 2008 - perhaps being too ambitious about their release" O.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
"December Bride" was a very successful show in its heyday. "My Little Margie," "I Married Joan" and "Love that Bob" are out on some capacity on DVD -- why not "December Bride"? I'd settle for a "best of." And I'd actually RATHER have "Pete & Gladys." I used to love that silly show!

The fact that Bonanza doesn't exist in season sets is just a travesty. Look at how long it's been playing in reruns! I would think it would have a built-in audience.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I hope they release Petticoat Junction soon, but I get the feeling that they will release the entire run of Beverly Hillbillies first, and then Petticoat like they did with Andy Griffith first, and then Gomer Pyle. Fortunately, they are pretty fast when it comes to finishing complete series runs.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I left out Pete and Gladys because despite it being a December Bride spinoff it wound up being owned by Embassy, Norman Lear's company. Meaning that when Embassy got bought, the show became property of . . . . . Sony! Which means there is absolutely zero chance of it ever seeing the light of day again. Sorry about that folks.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There are a several shows on the list I would buy (My Three Sons, Cannon, Mannix, Barnaby Jones). My preference though would be that Paramount complete the shows they have going now first. My fear has always been they would glut the market with the large number of classics they have now which would cause some to abandoned.

Also, I'd like to see the marketing research that supports the use of split seasons. With all the complaints about this technique CBS continues to use it which tells me that there is an underlying reason. Is it because the cost of restoring and prepping an hour B&W show is that much higher than releasing a color show? A season of Hawaii 5-0 can be had for under $40. By contrast, season 1 of the Fugitive, only a handful of episodes longer, will cost close to $60.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
season sets of Bilko are a must since Hogan's Heroes, Gomer, F Troop and McHales are either complete or appear to be on the way to all coming out.

But I'm more up for them finishing up Untouchables, Odd Couple and Fugitive. And Love, American Style.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Sadly, it appears (per comments made by Paul Brownstein on Shokus radio) that Bilko season sets are not coming due to poor sales of the collection that was issued awhile back.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
that bites since I bought three copies (two for gifts).

It was a major mistake to not make it a first season collection with the same bonus features. People who buy TV shows on DVDs don't seem to be too happy having to rebuy episodes especially since it was only a 4 season series. I can understand a comp for Gunsmoke - 20 years to pick through. But there had to be a lot of folks who just passed on it thinking that in six months they'll put out season sets.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Which is aggravating, because if it had been Season One, I'd have snatched it up. I passed on it in the hope and expectation that there might be season sets.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

That's exactly why I didn't buy it. I want what I want--and I want is complete shows, not somebody else's idea of "what's best."

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

In my option, if companies are going to put together best of sets, then they
should select the episodes the original producers submited for Emmy Consideration.

Those episodes beter reflect what they producers saw as the Best
of their series in all areas for that particular season.

S

silverking

Mod Squad S1 V1 & S1 V2 are listed for release here in the UK on Sept 24 & Oct 22 respectively. Odd as I don't recall the series ever played here.

'Bonanza' has been released in season sets in Germany as mentioned in other posts.I believe it is owned by several different companies not just Paramount & there are 'rights' issues in the US, probably the same with a lot of the shows mentioned.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I don't know how I missed this thread. No less than 5 shows listed in Hank's original list are in my signature, with "The Invaders" being about the only one with a solid chance for release, I gather. "Trackdown" and "The Defenders" are a very unfortunate longshot. It's especially lamentable to me where the latter show is concerned as Reginald Rose was to "The Defenders" what Rod Serling was to "Twilight Zone" and Stirling Silliphant to "Route 66"--an enormous talent for writing engaging, probing drama with crisp dialogue.

As for one of my favorite westerns of all, given the ethos of a PC culture gone amok, I really can't envision the Nick Adams vehicle "The Rebel" being released unless it was given a tamed retronym ("The Good Confederate" perhaps?).

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
With its big plate, what are the chances that CBS/Paramount might license some of their lesser known shows to independent companies?

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if that the consumers was hoping for Bilko seasons set, instead it got the best of bilko thats why it turned off the consumers and they was disappointed that there were no season sets?? and that's why best of bilko sales
went down??

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I wonder if the studios set aside "X" number of slots per quarter for older shows? Say "X" number of slots for 1950's/1960's and "X" number of Slots for the 1970's/1980's.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the following pattern:

"Beverly Hillbillies" following "Gomer Pyle",

"Invaders" Following "Untouchables",

"Bonanza" Following "Wild Wild West".

The Hour "Gunsmoke" following "The Fugitive".

Maybe "Mannix" following "Hawaii 5-0"

...and who knows, maybe the later "Have Gun,Will Travel" season.
following the completion of the 1/2 hour "Gunsmoke" episodes.

Which under this theory, we should be hearing SOMETHING on the "The Lucy" Show" soon since the "I Love Lucy" shows have been completed :)

(If you want to apply this over at FOX - I think we'll see "12 O'Clock High" following the completion of "Voyage The Bottom of The Sea" or "Big Valley" - that is if a standard release of "Land of The Giants" doesn't happen in between first.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks