What's new

''Anchorman'' and "Old School' on HD DVD from Dreamworks (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Looks like Dreamworks is wasting no time on announcing some HD DVD exclusives. Both look to be the unrated version with a 29.99 price tag.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I own anchorman so I'll probably get the Hi-Def version for sure.

Not so sure about old-school.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I love both flicks, but can't say I really have a burning desire to get them in HD. The standard DVD versions will suffice for now.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great. We can never have enough titles aimed at the gamer demographic. :laugh: Old School for chissakes?! Seriously?! Whats next for December....Roadtrip? Eurotrip? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know the Spielberg titles are strictly hands-off to HD but c'mon, really how about something with a bit more substance for a Q4 like Almost Famous, Collateral, Gladiator, Road To Perdition?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Can't disagree with you. First Fox announcing a fairly mediocre list, and Dreamworks is right behind them. While I liked Anchorman, I am not sure it is worth the upgrade to HD. I hope the next announcements get a bit better.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

Well, if you're thinking "gamer" demographic. Think of if it was Blu-Ray only with all the PS3 players.

Yeah, you'd get your dang 25 dick scene in Eurotrip.

(broad statements were for the health of the joke)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Well don't underestimate the power of the X-Box crowd. There has to be a reason why classics like Casablanca, Adventures of Robin Hood, Forbidden Planet, etc don't sell on HD DVD.

Dreamworks looks like they'll be mainly catering to this "gamer" demographic which I guess shouldn't surprise me even though it's disappointing.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I have seen no numbers on the actual sales of these disks that isn't over 8 months old. As a matter of fact, the only numbers I recall where released by Sony so must be taken with a grain (think large) of salt. If you have over figures, I would love to see them. It would be interesting.

Also remember that That one of the films was released when there where less than 40 or 50K players in the marketplace, the others where released only a short time later. All where released before the XBox factor even came into play. If the released film does not make the numbers in the first week or two, it probably won't. If these films had been released now, instead of 10 months ago, the numbers would be vastly different.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

To each their own, but I hardly call The Die Hard Trilogy, Master and Commander, Ronin, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Cast Away and Independence Day a "mediocre" list of titles.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Gotta agree with Brent. I enjoyed Old School and Anchorman. but I don't need HD versions of either. C'mon Dreamworks, quit Dreamin' and get Workin' on some REAL HD titles.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Does anyone want to predict Transformers release?

I'm guessing November, maybe the Tuesday before thanks giving.

Anyone else taking shots?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

That's all fine and dandy but why don't you present your case to Dreamworks so maybe you can convince them to release something in December that will appeal to those of us over 16 years old.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I own both of these on SD DVD and got them pretty cheap. I'll probably just rent them on HD for now - I'm not sure I want to pay much to own these in HD DVD or not. But, maybe they'll be on sale at some point near the holidays.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Kind of like Van Wilder, Wild Hogs, etc. They release what they release. Some will like the titles, some will not. But like the juvenile comedy Wild Hogs proves, the sales should be quite brisk. I personally will not waste my money on these titles, nor on most of the vastly overpriced Fox catalog gems that on the scheduled release.

As far as Dreamworks, Paramonts and Universal's December releases, I will wait until they announce all of them.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I don't get the tit-for-tat digs at Fox's pricing or why you think I care if you'll be buying them or not. :laugh: But then again you already stated they were all "mediocre" now they're "gems"? Which is it? Why would you consider buying mediocre titles anyway? My head is spinning.

Seriously, what does Fox's schedule or their craptastic pricing have to do with this Dreamworks announcement? I'm not getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks