Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Deliverance -- in BD & HD

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,689 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 08:25 PM

I love re-visiting a favored film on HD or BD DVD and finding a winner. The playing field has become so intense, and reviewers and bloggers so picky, that even the most beautifully sourced digital master sometimes can't make it to home plate. John Boorman's brilliant 1972 film about four buddies trying their luck at white water canoeing down a southern river has been brought to high definition DVD so perfectly, that Mr. Boorman and his cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond must be thrilled. When you've seen a film in a proper 35mm dye transfer print from the original release, and the DVD so beautifully reproduces that experience, the image on screen can be viscerally thrilling. So it is with Warner's Deliverance. A great early 1970s production, given a perfect treatment in every way. This is as good as it gets for the look of cinema in a home theater environment. Deliverance comes Extremely Highly Recommended. Having viewed Deliverance in it's Blu-Ray form, I can only call it Perfect. Just perfect! RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 08:41 PM

This is one film I've been "meaning to get" for years, now. I'll definately be picking this up now that it has the RAH seal of approval.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 11:28 PM

Thanks, Mr. Harris. I was very much looking forward to this new high-definition release, and I'm very happy to hear that it comes highly recommended from such an authoritative source. One copy on HD DVD sold!

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 09:35 AM

I've been in high hopes ever since the title announcement. The RAH seal of approval is enough for me. Now we can wait for so many online reviewers to trash it, because it doesn't replicate the look of 'Serenity'.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 01:43 PM

Funny, I had never seen this film before this past Sunday night. I was house sitting for my sister, and I noticed that she had it. I popped it in around 1:45 am on a stormy night alone, and got more than bargained for! What a great flick! Can't wait to finally pick this up.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted August 24 2007 - 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottR
Funny, I had never seen this film before this past Sunday night. I was house sitting for my sister, and I noticed that she had it. I popped it in around 1:45 am on a stormy night alone, and got more than bargained for! What a great flick! Can't wait to finally pick this up.

I had never seen the film uncut (only local TV broadcasts) until i bought the first DVD release many years ago. Imagine my shock, seeing things no man should ever see. Scary in many ways.

Check out Southern Comfort too, very similar, but also a good movie.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 07:12 PM

Rick....I am familiar with Southern Comfort, as I'm Cajun! My father loved it, but viewing it today, I have mixed feelings about how we're portrayed.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottR
Rick....I am familiar with Southern Comfort, as I'm Cajun! My father loved it, but viewing it today, I have mixed feelings about how we're portrayed.

Probably kind of how I felt about Raising Arizona. I've never heard anyone in Arizona talk like that. I still think the movie is a riot though.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 11:12 PM

excellent!

Sounds great!

Posted Image

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted August 25 2007 - 07:41 AM

Hd-Dvd on order # 2 ! already got , Casablanca , Forbidden Planet , Mutiny on the Bounty and Grand Prix , Warner's keep em coming Posted Image

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 472 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 25 2007 - 10:16 AM

Really looking forward to the BD. I have the old R2 release (with a very strange 2.55:1 aspect ratio - similar to the original The Great Escape release...), so the HD version will be a revelation!

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 07:26 PM

Quote:
Imagine my shock, seeing things no man should ever see.
LOL....well said. Definitely one of Burt Reynolds' better performances as well, IMHO.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 08:24 PM

Burt reminded my of Marlon Brando when he was younger. He had that raw, masculine, brooding sense about him.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 03:54 AM

Gotta grab this, the SD I rented recently had what was possibly the worst PQ I've yet seen in my HT.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   LDfan

LDfan

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 01:37 PM

There are only 2 movies that forever changed my opinion of adventuring in the woods and this was one of them! Blair Witch Project was the other. Note to self: Always pack a 9mm Jeff

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,106 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 01 2007 - 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bendiksen
LOL....well said. Definitely one of Burt Reynolds' better performances as well, IMHO.

And a film that supports Roger Ebert's moustache theory regarding Burt.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 02:12 PM

Robert Harris, do you have any thoughts on the vast differences in the colour timing and contrast of the new transfer to the previous transfer? Here's the DVD Beaver comparison. Any idea why the title on the opening credits is different, ie. in all CAPITALS?

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 339 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted September 12 2007 - 06:35 PM

Did anyone see DELIVERANCE in its original release? As I recall the first run prints were in desaturated color... almost black and white. This was a short lived trend in the early 70's. Two other examples were FAT CITY and THE THREE MUSKETEERS. Does anyone else remember this? I doubt we'd see the color timed this way for dvd, but as I recall, that was the intent for some films of that period. (Lester had reportedly wanted to shot MUSKETEERS in black and white and the muted prints were the compromise.)

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim*Tod
Did anyone see DELIVERANCE in its original release? As I recall the first run prints were in desaturated color... almost black and white. This was a short lived trend in the early 70's. Two other examples were FAT CITY and THE THREE MUSKETEERS. Does anyone else remember this? I doubt we'd see the color timed this way for dvd, but as I recall, that was the intent for some films of that period. (Lester had reportedly wanted to shot MUSKETEERS in black and white and the muted prints were the compromise.)

I don't remember the Three Musketeers being desaturated. In fact it had deeply saturated reds and blues. I probably saw that thing 20 times in the theater.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDfan
There are only 2 movies that forever changed my opinion of adventuring in the woods and this was one of them! Blair Witch Project was the other.

Note to self: Always pack a 9mm

Jeff

I've been fishing in that river for Smallmouth bass and Brown Trout. We took a gun but didn't get to shoot anybody, damn!

I have the BD preordered.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

Back to Blu-ray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow