What's new

Metroid Prime 3 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So MP3 comes out this coming Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to it. Nintendo released a Metroid Preview Channel on the Wii (in the Shop under WiiWare) and just about every website has their last-minute preview stuff going up. I saw a scan from the new issue of Nintendo Power where they gave it a 10/10 (for reference, only Resident Evil 4 has ever gotten a 10/10 from NP...not even Zelda or Mario, ever).

Is anyone else as excited as I am?

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I'm really looking forward to it. I think it'll be another eye-opener for the ability of the Wii to control in new and incredible ways.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Just BARELY got into it so far, but it's almost immediately apparent that it achieves a big leap forward in POV shooter controls.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I've got one on order online, but figured if I could get one locally earlier I would. So far, no one in town's even gotten their first shipment yet. Stupid small town.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm about 4 hours in, I've just finished the planet Bryyo. The controls take a little bit to get used to, but they're fantastic. The game doesn't feel as much like any other Metroid game, which is good and bad. Then again, I'm at 23% through so we'll see what happens.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'm barely into it, just past the first boss after the opening sequence, but I'm already loving it. The original Prime was my favorite game of last generation, and Echoes was an excellent followup. Cool little extra: the four lights on top of Samu's visor are actually a battery indicators.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, if this is the kind of thing that could be done with the Wiimote, then we've got some incredible games ahead. I don't enjoy FPS games (they tend to make me sea-sick for some reason) but there is something about the controls on this game that are incredibly involving. I was absolutely impressed at the gameplay.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
Anyone looking to trade friend vouchers so we can unlock some of these unockables? I'm going out of town for a few days but when i get back i will really wanna trade some of these tokens so i can actually USE them.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I've decided to give up on this one.

While I do love the visuals and the Wii Remote aiming (sooo much better than a thumbstick), the game design itself turns me off. Unlike Twilight Princess, where the puzzles and the boss fights had a logic to them, I find that most of Metroid consists of standing around trying to figure out what to shoot/pull/jump to next. There's no internal logic -- you just gotta trial and error until you figure it out. There are also insanely frustrating fights that just suck all the joy out the game (trying to disable the second canon in Bryyo was all she wrote for me). I'll have to chalk this one up as one for more hardcore gamers than I am.

Yeah, I got almost to the point of puking a couple of times. Not all the time though -- I think it was specific areas. Anything that made me run around in circles got me queasy.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
I had problems with that and looked on gamefaqs for help. If you only leave one of those two flying guys there its so easy.. because as soon as you kill both they respawn, but if you only kill one it doesnt respawn the other.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
This game is incredible. The control is completly natural to me. It just works. If they re-did the previous two metroid Prime games using this control, I'd buy them again. No problem.

RobLe

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought it today. I am barely into it, and am loving it so far. The controls and visuals are both amazing.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I tried Rusty's tip, but even if you shoot just one, they respawn. So I quit again.

Then I tried it again, but this time I blasted the soldier as he was turing the switch back.
And then... I did it. Then I finished up Bryyo and headed towards the Seed, and after going at it unsuccessfully with the Boss there, I quit again.

Then I tried it again, and I was able to beat him. Then after flailing against the next boss, I quit again.

I'm now at the last boss in Elysia. Man, the toughest yet.

BTW, I ran into a glitch:

After I assembled the nuclear weapon, I headed back to the Spire, but I couldn't contact my ship. I mucked about in comm mode for 5 minutes and nada. I figured there was something else I had to do, so I headed back and re-explored the city for an hour with no luck. I saved, turned off the game, consulted a FAQ, and since there didn't seem to be anything else I needed to do, I turned it back on. I immediately got a message to go to the spire, and I was able to contact the ship no sweat. I did find 2 missle expansions in the hour so it wasn't a total loss, but it was weird.

Bottom line -- you just can't appreciate how well the controls work unless you try. The aiming is just so dead on and super sweet, that the lack of multi player is the only reason MP3 isn't going to be the GoldenEye of this generation. I still think the boss fights are too random and hard, but I was told that repeatedly fighting and scanning the boss to discover their weakness is a hallmark of the series, so I guess it's just a matter of taste. Even though I kinda don't enjoy them, the rest of the game is totally badass.

And the idea of remaking the first 2 with Wii controls is so awesome I hope Retro is working on it (16:9 & 480p is a MUST). I suppose they would have to tweak the difficulty, because the remote aiming is so silky smooth it could disrupt the balance of the game. Plus, if they redesigned the deathmatch mode, I'm sure they could sell it for $50. And if an internet deathmatch mode was executed really well, it could be really, really huge.

If MP3 is a sign of things to come, the Wii just may be THE console for FPS.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
Beat it yesterday.. it think i was playing on either easy or normal.. but i started a new game on hyper mode.. this is like halo's legendary imho. im thinking i should have at least tried hard first..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks