Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE BRAVE ONE Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 10:42 AM

Anyone seen the previews for The Brave One with Jodie Foster? Looks pretty much like it should be called Death Wish 6 since it is just a female remake of Death Wish.

#2 of 16 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 12:59 PM

I think it'll be a bit more than that. Foster hasn't been all that picky of late, but this looks a bit smarter than Death Wish, and Neil Jordan is a good director. Terence Howard doesn't hurt, either.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#3 of 16 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 07:37 PM

Little Iris grows up to become............

what else, a vigilante!Posted Image
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#4 of 16 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,854 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 04:20 PM

I just saw the trailer for this new Jodie Foster movie. And is this supposed to be an updated version of Death Wish? It seems to be a very similar story plot.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#5 of 16 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 31 2007 - 05:51 PM

All trailer certainly draws out all of the inevitable comparisons between the two.
Interestingly enough, Death Sentence, the Kevin Bacon film with a very similar theme (and sharing the title of the literary Death Wish sequel) just opened in theaters.
Apparently vengence cinema is back.

#6 of 16 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 04:08 AM

It certainly does look like Death Wish, which is the problem with these trailer makers. They only seem to have a set way of making them, having to sell to a market that may be totally wrong. Trailers can be twisted to make a movie appear completely different from what it really is. Until more info comes out, I would not trust the trailer just yet. (PS, look at that phony trailer for Shining ).

#7 of 16 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 15 2007 - 01:37 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Brave One". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Brave One" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 16 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 06:08 AM

Looks intriguing. From Patrick's review:

Quote:
The conclusion plays a little too straight, offering less in surprise, and stays with a somewhat cathartic resolution that doesn't quite satisfy, and keeps with the theme of tragedy unable to provide a complete catalyst to the inner pain and turmoil Erica suffers, leaving an indelible mark on her psyche and sense of justice, pushing her boundaries of acceptable response to a world where a precious relationship could be undone in a split second, leaving a hole in one's heart that's unable to be filled by conventional means.
I have been parsing this paragraph for several minutes and still don't get it Posted Image

--
H

#9 of 16 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 15 2007 - 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
Looks intriguing. From Patrick's review:

I have been parsing this paragraph for several minutes and still don't get it Posted Image

--
H
I know what you mean, Patrick can you elaborate.

Crawdaddy

#10 of 16 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 01:18 PM

Well, I was wrong and the trailer was right. The plot points were almost exactly like Death Wish. Of course it was a more detailed script, but by and large the same things happen.
Someone loses a loved one in an assault, decides to get a gun and puts themselves in dangerous situations and kills scumbags like a vigilante. Starts to get a little too confident and get injured. Ultimately gets revenge but the police do not arrest the vigilante, even though they know who it is. That is pretty much the main story line for Death Wish and this film.

There is alot of character development, but in my estimation, does not rescue the film from being a re-make of Death Wish.

#11 of 16 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 30 2007 - 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Hom
Well, I was wrong and the trailer was right. The plot points were almost exactly like Death Wish. Of course it was a more detailed script, but by and large the same things happen.
Someone loses a loved one in an assault, decides to get a gun and puts themselves in dangerous situations and kills scumbags like a vigilante. Starts to get a little too confident and get injured. Ultimately gets revenge but the police do not arrest the vigilante, even though they know who it is. That is pretty much the main story line for Death Wish and this film.

There is alot of character development, but in my estimation, does not rescue the film from being a re-make of Death Wish.
There is nothing wrong about being a remake of "Death Wish" as long as it's done well which is true with this film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#12 of 16 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
There is nothing wrong about being a remake of "Death Wish" as long as it's done well which is true with this film.

Crawdaddy

That is true, there are good remakes, but for everyone involved to steer clear of saying it's a remake of Death Wish was too much. Why would anyone involved not even mention Death Wish? Too un-PC? Trying to push a new film and not even make an some reference to DW. The original DW was not the best film, but certainly not a bad one. I suppose in this day of remakes, if a film has been off the radar for long enough time, you can go ahead and remake it and not say its a remake and maybe people will believe it is a new original film. Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard did a great acting job, but it would be nice to know its a remake before plunking down 10 bucks to see a film.

#13 of 16 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 01 2007 - 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Hom
That is true, there are good remakes, but for everyone involved to steer clear of saying it's a remake of Death Wish was too much. Why would anyone involved not even mention Death Wish? Too un-PC? Trying to push a new film and not even make an some reference to DW. The original DW was not the best film, but certainly not a bad one. I suppose in this day of remakes, if a film has been off the radar for long enough time, you can go ahead and remake it and not say its a remake and maybe people will believe it is a new original film. Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard did a great acting job, but it would be nice to know its a remake before plunking down 10 bucks to see a film.
I don't understand your point, since, most people have little time to pay any attention to what those involved with a certain film has to say about their particular film anyway. Furthermore, though the basic premise is quite similar between the two films there are some significant differences between them. Also, the original "Death Wish" is still consider by most film historians as a good film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#14 of 16 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 11:32 AM

It was just a little predictable, that's all. For drama, it was tops, but story was a little too easy. She has done films with better stories, that's all. The acting was much better than the script, which was a cake walk for an actor of her caliber.

#15 of 16 Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 11:49 AM

I thought the conversation and dynamics between Foster and Howard were the strongest scenes of the movie. There's a scene where they speak in hushed tones, but in reality, both seem to know what the other really means. In that sense, I was disappointed with the finale of the picture, because I thought the Howard character acted outside of his moral compass.

#16 of 16 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 05 2007 - 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Tsai
I thought the conversation and dynamics between Foster and Howard were the strongest scenes of the movie. There's a scene where they speak in hushed tones, but in reality, both seem to know what the other really means. In that sense, I was disappointed with the finale of the picture, because I thought the Howard character acted outside of his moral compass.
Kirk,
I didn't like the ending either and thought if it had a much better one that this would be consider one of the better films of the year. With that being said, the acting performances of both, Foster and Howard were excellent.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow