What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Doctor Strange (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc REVIEW

ronsreviews_covers_85740.jpg">

Eric F

Screenwriter
I couldn't disgaree more. I bought this and to be honest I'm sorry I did. This is awful, awful stuff. I really hate it. I hate the animation style, the story is boring and why they decided to go with DTS-HD MA over PCM or Dolby TrueHD is a mystery because no one can decode it.

I find it truly sad when the extras are more interesting than the main feature itself, and the CGI animations from past Marvel videogames I found to be the best part of the disc. Oh boy, does Avengers Reborn look bad, this one sounds like a stinker and a half. We need to kill off the original Avengers to bring in a "younger audience"? Say what????

This one will be the last Marvel/Lionsgate disc I'm purchasing. I don't know what you were watching Mike, but other than having some nice bright colors and sharp, I don't particularly qualify that as a good animated title.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Eric, I'm thinking you expect far too much from these movies. This isn't from the DC Animated Universe; we're not getting Batman: TAS or Justice League quality here. The story did suffer from having to be an origin story of a third tier superhero no one really cares about, no doubt. But once we get past that, it's not so bad...if you temper your expectations.

The extras are terribly below average for a BR disc. There is a 75 minute feature and some measly extras? That's it? Someone didn't put time into it.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Eric

I haven't seen much animation in high def nor have I watched it extensively on DVD. Grading this image took a bit of thought because even though that animation quality isn't way up there in quality, there doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with the image. So...I knocked one star off for that reason, but other than that...why give it worse? Maybe I have to be a true animation fan to completely appreciate the best animations.

Mike

Eric F

Screenwriter
Doctor Strange is hardly a "third tier superhero nobody cares about", he was in fact one of Marvel/Stan Lee's original original characters, and a fan classic. I just didn't like the retake on the character.

As for the quality of the animation, you're right, it's not even up the quality of a single episode of a Sat morning 30min WB cartoon. That's pretty sad for a big budget DTV title. I'm sure next month's Doomsday/Superman will soundly thrash it, but unfortunately we won't be seeing that released in HD.:frowning:

As for the next Marvel title "Avengers Reborn" nobody has anything nice to say about it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm sure we can all list at least five Marvel comic characters off the top of our heads with more name recognition that Strange.

Captain America
Spider-Man
Hulk
Iron Man
X-Men

Fan classic, huh? Let's put him in a poll with the ones I just listed and see how gets the most votes. Ten bucks says it isn't Strange. That's all I was referring to.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't see any indication that Michael or anyone else saw this in a theater. It would help a lot if someone could say it looks like what was shown there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Was this ever in theaters? It was my understanding this is direct-to-video.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well the movie itself might not be so great, but i think at least one feature of the disc is amazing.
the "blue line" is great.

the blue line allows you to move a slider smoothly to any point in the movie.
what a great idea.

love to see this on more discs.

Dr Strange is absolutely a top tier marvel universe figure.
always has been and is very important in the history.

i think right now he is one of the major figures in the world war hulk storyline.
and is a founding member of the illuminati secret group.

Eric F

Screenwriter
"Blue Line" and the booking feature have been around in Lionsgate titles for a while now. For some reason other manufacturers have been slow to pick up on it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok didnt know that.
i think this was the first lionsgate i have watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks