Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Frankenstein (1931) tinted green?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 PaulKTF

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 22 2007 - 01:31 PM

I seem to remember reading on the IMDB that Frankenstein (1931) was tinted green for its premire. I re-checked the IMDB and now I cant' find that fact listed there (maybe someone deleted it because it isn't true?).

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, do any green tinted prints survive? Thanks.
-Paul.

#2 of 4 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 22 2007 - 02:28 PM

Only a few prints were done this way and they stopped doing this because, while it made the monster looked good, it made everyone else look terrible.

#3 of 4 R-T-C Tim

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 12:06 AM

I have actually watched the film with a green tint by fiddling with my television settings. It looks very good for a bit, but after a few minutes you don't really notice it any more.
Mondo Esoterica.net - From the Wild West to Gothic Europe...

#4 of 4 Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 03:14 PM

I don't know if FRANKENSTEIN was tinted green on its initial release, but I can confirm that DRACULA was indeed tinted "Verdante" (Kodak's deeper green color in their Sonochrome pre-tinted stocks) as indicated by the original lab slugs.
-J. Theakston