What's new

Halloween movies, what edition is the best version of each dvd? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok so a friend of mine is about to start picking up the halloween
dvds.
she has the divimax version of the first one and is about to start getting the rest.
probably not III though.

so what are the ones she should get.
nothing that is oop just current releases.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
For the Original, I would say that the Divimax is the way to go. Even though there is some controversy over the transfer (the color timing is different from the Dean Cundey approved transfer on the prior release) it has far superior extras.

The only editions in print today for R1 are for HII and HIII are from Universal. HII has a trailer, HIII is completely bare. They are available now on a double feature disc, so obviously, go for that (even if you don't like HIII). Anchor bay, I believe, distrubutes these in R2 and those editions have commentaries, I hear that one or both might be cropped to 1.78, don't quote me on that though.

for 4 and 5, there are Divimax editions from Anchor Bay out now, they are the latest and are superior in terms of extras to prior releases.

I don't have 6, but I think there is only one release available.

H20 unfortunately, is only available in a Non-Anamorphic edition with very few extras.

I don't have Resurrection, but there is only one DVD available.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thankks Will, good info.

reg 1 only for this specific intance.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you could only have one release, I think most fans would definitely go with the 1999 version (and skip the Divimax release due to altering Cundey's photography). There was a re-release of the 1999 version that just came out.

Here's a pic:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1665913

The extras are good on the Divimax version but the color is very different. I wouldn't say it's bad but it's definitely different. I own both but when unless I want to hear the commentary, I watch the 1999 disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well she already has the divi of the first film so too late for that.
but i think that the divi is just fine anyway.
this isnt someone who has a HT or A WIDE TV.
She loves horror films and halloween is one of her favorites.

just a regular tv, and she asked me what the best versions ,of each movie would be.
she just wanted to make sure she didnt buy any crappy older type releases that may be flaoting around on this series.

i recomended the divi of 1 and she picked that up.

so i'll let her know what else comes out of this after some more opinions come

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify, I'm not vehemently against the Divimax one (like some Halloween fans can be) and I'm sure it'll be fine for the regular viewer.

And I agree with all of WillG's assesments of the sequels' releases. I think Best Buy has the HII/III release on sale for $10 this week too.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Interesting, maybe a new release is in the works. If so, maybe it will contain the "Producer's Cut"

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Are the weird "jaggy" artifacts on the 1999 dvd apparent on the DiviMax version of the first film? I noticed them the most early on when Jamie Lee leaves her house. You can see it on the car in the driveway and the siding on the house. All three versions in this set (widescreen, p/s, and television versions) are like this.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
The Divimax has better sharpness and has extras, but its color timing is way off. To be sure, it still all works, but there are some fairly drastic photographic changes in it. The previous release looks different and was supervised by the film's DP, and it just feels more like the film should; i don't think its a question of cameramen changing their minds or misremembering things twenty years later or whatever will be attributed to it. They really need to do a new edition that has better AV and extras but the correct color timing. If your a stickler for the original photography then go for the older one, but if you don't mind the different look--and its not like it ruins the film or anything--then the divimax has better image quality and extras.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
Is the Divimax of the first movie the one the new that's now being sold for $10 in stores under the 'Restored' version?

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The upcoming Blu-Ray version is the way to go. :p

In all seriousness, the recently released version is just the '99 disc because AB knows they screwed up with the Divimax version. For $10, it's definately the way to go.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
IMHO the best versions are as follows:

HALLOWEEN - 2-disc limited edition from Anchor Bay (theatrical version and TV version) (R1)
HALLOWEEN II - Universal (R1)
HALLOWEEN III - Universal (R1)
HALLOWEEN 4 - Divimax Edition (R1) although the very first DVD edition in R1 with the original stereo sound mix contains some sound effects that were missing from the 5.1 reissues.
HALLOWEEN 5 - Divimax Edition (R1)
HALLOWEEN 6 - R2 anamorphic edition
HALLOWEEN H20 - R2 anamorphic edition
HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION - R1

Hope this helps!

John

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
divi doesnt look much different.

has a slight less amount of color.

the top pick looks like it's too much color.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Kinda makes you wonder what AB will use for the Hi Def release. hopefully a "DP approved transfer-divimax extras" hybrid.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not that it's proof but the 1999 release makes no mention of an HD source being used for the disc but the Divimax one does so I think the Blu Ray release will be the Divimax transfer. There's always the next two or three HD releases that Anchor Bay will do. :)

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards

makes sense. They already have a Hi Def master with the Divimax. I doubt they would spring for a new transfer all they have to do is encode the last one to VC1.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
From what i've read, they'll use the Divimax transfer as it is in great shape and 1080 but they will make colour corrections supervised by Dean Cundey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks