Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"The Fugitive: Season 1, Volume 1" -- A Personal Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 of 59 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Dan.

Re. the picture question -- Full-sized IMDB images can't be copied. It would seem that no right-clicking is permitted on those larger images. (I tried before ever posting my review, too.)

But the thumbnails can be right-clicked. (Curious thing.).....

Posted Image

Footnote -- I've added some stuff to my review above as well, including some brief comments about Ep. #15, "Home Is The Hunted", which is an episode I don't think I had ever seen before. What a treat to see what amounts to a "brand new" show. A darn good one too, IMO.

#22 of 59 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted August 27 2007 - 05:57 AM

At least 2-3 of the episodes on this set are new to me too, having not been done on NuVentures tapes and not being among my scattered tapes of other eps. One picky thing on Morse's credits. There could be an exception in this S1-V1 set, but it seems like he's credited at the beginning only if he's in that episode, although he's always in the closing credits. I don't know if that practice continued through the subsequent seasons. He is technically "in" every episode, of course, in the main title.

#23 of 59 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 27 2007 - 07:03 AM

very impressed with the review. I will now go and buy it online
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#24 of 59 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted August 28 2007 - 09:13 PM

Happy 40th "FUGITIVE" Anniversary!!

Posted Image "THE JUDGMENT: PART 2" -- The Day The Running Stopped Posted Image

August 29, 1967 - August 29, 2007.

Posted Image

"You killed my wife, didn't ya?! [slug] Didn't ya?!!!"

#25 of 59 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 664 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 02:13 AM

One of the most satisfying finales, ever. 40 years, wow! Thanks for the memories.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#26 of 59 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 03:13 AM

Thanks for commemorating the show’s final original broadcast date, David. As I view these early episodes (a number of which I’m seeing for the first time), I’m struck by how good David Janssen’s acting and character realization is so early in the series. I thought it might have taken a bit longer for Janssen to find his “groove,” but his characterization of Richard Kimble is strong and consistent from the very first episode . . . . you really share his frustration and desperation. It's a real shame that David Janssen passed away at a relatively young age; one wonders what other great roles he might have had if he had lived longer.

#27 of 59 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 04:16 AM

As I watched "Decision in the Ring" last night I too was impressed at David Janssen's ability to project a genuine sense of vulnerbility and humility into his role. Recall that this episode was the second one produced and yet his portrayal of a dejected and lonely fugitive meshes seamlessly with subsequent episodes.

#28 of 59 OFFLINE   phil*

phil*

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted August 29 2007 - 12:28 PM

August 29th seems to play a major role in TV/Movie dramas; August 29,1967 was "The Day the Running Stopped" in The Fugitive TV Series; August 29,1997 was "Judgement Day" in The Terminator Movie Franchise...

Reaching From The Inner Mind To The Outer Limits

#29 of 59 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 11:28 AM

A little off-topic, but tied to a guest star (twice) on "The Fugitive", Suzanne Pleshette. (I can hardly believe that's Suzanne in the photos provided within the article below; doesn't look like her at all.).....

http://www.newsvine.....ill-a-spitfire

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 of 59 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 16 2007 - 11:15 AM

I watched "Fatso" (from S.1/V.1) the other night. I had never seen that particular "Fugitive" episode prior to watching it on the crystal-clear DVD.

I was impressed by that episode too. I was expecting possibly a subpar entry; but I think it rises above that status. Not the very best Fuge ep., but a solid one nonetheless, in my view.

Jack Weston, as "Davey Lambert" (aka: the "blimp" who Kimble is travelling with, per Indiana Lieutenant Philip Gerard), Posted Image does a nice job in "Fatso", IMO. As does the rest of the cast. (And I really don't think Weston looks like he weighs "260 pounds", as Gerard claims. Maybe I'm nuts, but Jack doesn't look THAT fat.) Posted Image

There's a good scene in "Fatso" with Gerard grilling Davey about Richard Kimble (and about Helen's murder), with Davey actually confessing to the murder himself.

I thought for a moment we might have an interesting twist coming up, with Davey possibly providing some added details about the killing that would make Gerard suspect--just for a little while--that Davey's story was possibly authentic in nature.

But the scene doesn't play out that way, as Gerard trips Davey up pretty quick by getting him to say that the murder had taken place in an apartment building (instead of Kimble's house).

Of course, it was a little easier for Lt. Gerard to trip up Davey, seeing as how Dave's elevator doesn't seem to go quite all the way up to the Observation Deck (so to speak). Posted Image

Anyway, I enjoyed "Fatso", and it's an episode made all the more enjoyable by the fact that we get to see Lt. Gerard chasing his prey yet again.

Posted Image

#31 of 59 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 01:57 AM

Re: Suzanne Pleshette Actually it does look like her, the early 60s version of her. If you are a viewer of shows from that era, she shows up a great deal looking like that. Besides The Fugitive, she appears in Dr. Kildare, Channing, Ben Casey, One Step Beyond, Route 66, Hong Kong, Naked City, Riverboat, Adventures in Paradise and quite a few other shows that I've seen. So, yeah, I'm pretty accustomed to seeing her look like that.

#32 of 59 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 02:41 AM

This episode is rather quaintly anachronistic in that "Davey" is singled out in "Fatso" as being grossly overweight and oafish when now over half of the people in the western hemisphere appears this way. In my day, fat kids, like the Davey character were teased mercilessly--but today, what's the big deal? And yes, I was prepared for a letdown for this particular outing of "The Fugitive" in light of an initial review of this segment and found myself placing it in the top five of the first 11 episodes I've viewed. Jack Weston was very, very good in "Fatso" and his appearance really demonstrates a solid understanding by the casting director for getting the right actor for the job. His performance is reminiscent of the bafoonish character he played in the hour length Twilight Zone episode entitled "The Bard", but then his cherubic features and boyish voice lend themselves well to playing characters having a somewhat "arrested development".

#33 of 59 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,628 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 03:55 AM

Hurray!!! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one that really appreciated that episode and thought the initial online review was too dismissive. And you are spot on about Weston too. He did a great job in capturing the spirit of the Davey character and giving the audience someone to feel for. I'd also be very tempted to put this episode in the top five of the first 11. It was that good in my mind. And although some may have not gotten to it yet, I also thoroughly enjoyed "Terror at High Point" even though it has been somewhat belittled along the same lines as "Fatso." But it's another solid outing that I think most fans here will enjoy. Gary "at worst it's #6 out of the first eleven, but a great episode deserving of more praise than it generally gets" O. P.S. Let me remind folks here that there are some fans that have never seen these episodes at all and don't wish to be spoiled, so let's make use of the "SPOILER" tags whenever possible if talking about specifics in an episode. Just a friendly exhortation.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#34 of 59 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 05:29 AM

Yes, good idea Gary. I've gone back to my last post re. "Fatso" and added the spoiler tags in pertinent locations. Thanks for that reminder.

#35 of 59 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted January 21 2008 - 04:39 AM

IN MEMORIAM:

The great Suzanne Pleshette passed away on January 19th (although IMDb is reporting the 17th). She would have been 71 on January 31st. Posted Image

Suzanne was (and always shall be) one of my very favorite actresses of all-time. She fits into this "Fugitive" thread due to her longtime friendship with David Janssen and her two excellent guest-star appearances on that TV series (the episodes "World's End" and "All The Scared Rabbits").

She was too young, at 70, to be taken from us. But her always-outstanding acting performances will live on forever in reruns and, especially, on DVD.

A sad day. Posted Image

Actress Suzanne Pleshette dies - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Posted Image

Posted Image

www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3229440-post.html

#36 of 59 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted January 21 2008 - 05:54 AM

She was one of my favorites as well. While I'm not much of a fan of short-haired brunettes, there was always something very appealing about her in her performances. One of a list of quite a few excellent actresses who for whatever reason were never given much of a chance on the big screen but who lit up television in tons of guest starring roles. Others who would fall into her category would be Susan Oliver, Lois Nettleton, Brooke Bundy, Diane Baker, Bethel Leslie, Joanne Linville and Carol Rossen. RIP, Suzanne.

#37 of 59 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 21 2008 - 03:19 PM

Ms. Pleshette regarded our Mr. Janssen as a gentleman who was always concerned about and for the people he worked with. Be it fellow actors, staff, crew...he always treated everyone with respect. "That was his nature," she disclosed in Ed Robertson's IMHO brilliantly-written book, The Fugutive Recaptured.

Ms. Pleshette also disclosed how much great comic timing Mr. Janssen actually had and was hoping that, during the series, he would do something along the lines of a Cary Grant a-la Arsenic and Old Lace, where The Fugitive would find himself on some kind of jeopardy because of an oddball character's--something Dr. Kimble came across often during the four years of running--crime.

However, Mr. Quinn would not have ANY of that, believing that to deviate in any kind of comedic form would detract from the somber tone of the series itself. So, sadly, it never happened.

Yes, the two of them were longtime friends who loved each other dearly and deeply. As a result of this connection--as well as the devotion each of them had to their craft--they were able to mesh so well together.

Ms. Pleshette was a wonderful embodiment of a witty, smart, savvy, foxy, confident AND sexy woman!!!!!! And, for that, to which I say, thank you very much, she will be dearly and deeply missed.

R.I.P., girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Posted Image
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#38 of 59 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 21 2008 - 03:23 PM

Oh, and BTW, David, I am already looking forward to, besides the rest of The Fugitive's freshman run, YOUR take on the other half. I am so very glad this has reappeared in the SD DVD TV Shows section.

I wanted to post this separately from my homage to Ms. Pleshette.
I shall attempt to go through the archives for those two episodes she was in and watch them soon!!!!!! Posted Image
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#39 of 59 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted January 21 2008 - 06:21 PM

And RIP, Ms. Nettleton.

Actress Lois Nettleton dies at 80 - Entertainment News, Obituary, Media - Variety

#40 of 59 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted January 21 2008 - 08:09 PM

They always come in "threes", don't they? Incredible. Suzanne, Lois, plus another talented actor, Allan Melvin. January '08 is starting to remind me of June 2003 (a month when we lost at least half-a-dozen great actors and stars).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users