What's new

Fox/MGM announce 19 titles for BD this Fall (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...ews_view_popup

MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.

FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.

THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.

28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only

ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.

AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only

BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08

A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08

I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08

DIE HARD NOV. NOV.

DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER NOV NOV.

DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV. NOV.

RED DAWN (MGM) NOV. Q1 08

MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.

INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.

CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only

RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Actually, it's 19 catalog titles, plus new releases such as Live Free or Die Hard, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and Prison Break.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'm guessing 28 Weeks Later will be another day and date release. It better be, anyway.

That's a good list of catalogue releases, but I wish there were more, considering it's supposed to take up to the end of the year. Also, I won't get too excited considering Fox's history with delays.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm really trying to buy only the must-own titles for the near-term, so, with that in mind, I will be picking up:

If, by some miracle, they actually release the Die Hards individually, I will only pickup the first one. I will also pickup Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I would love to be able to rent 28 Weeks Later, Live Free or Die Hard, and The Simpsons Movie too.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I guess the films have have lots of special effects or CGI to qualify for BD release. How many times ca one watch those films? No true classic titles announced? No BD for me. I'll stick to my HD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Oh, come on - Die Hard and RoboCop are both true classics. ;)

Seriously, though - it better be the uncut RoboCop with the Special Features of the DVD. And Master & Commander better port over all the bonus from the SE DVD.

No more bare bones titles Fox!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Some good stuff on there.

I'm a bit dissapointed though that the Alien films don't seem to be included. I read somewhere that at least "Alien" was rumored to be in the pipeline for BD

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

It says "day and date" with the DVD, so I guess we'll have to wait until they announce those. The other three Die Hard's are in November, so logically LFoDH will be on the same date.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's leave such format bias comments to the proper two threads. Thank you.

By the way, though they might not be as classic as "Twelve O'Clock High, I think "Battle of Britain" and "A Bridge Too Far" qualifies as classic war films.

Crawdaddy

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
So, the official count for the press release is 29 titles.

6 day-and-date Fox titles, only three which were specifically mentioned (FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Live Free or Die Hard, Prison Break).

4 day-and-date MGM titles.

19 catalog titles from Fox/MGM combined. (list above).

So - any idea what those other 3 Fox titles and 4 MGM titles would be? I think The Simpsons Movie is rather obvious.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
28 Weeks Later might be another Fox title, and The Simpsons is a no-brainer, I think. I would love for "Sunshine" to be the other one.

As for MGM, I know they're distributing the new Halloween film (along with the Weinsteins), but I have no idea how this affects its HD status.

justinslot

Agent
Real Name
Justin Slotman
Robocop is definite for me (that was my first Blu-ray preorder back in the day! Before I figured out how expensive the players were, and all the bad initial reviews came out, and I cancelled it.) Red Dawn, Die Hard and The Fly are all possibles. The Fly is the first hi-def Cronenberg, I believe.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'd call BATTLE OF BRITAIN and A BRIDGE TOO FAR classic titles. And Ronin is an amazing action film with no CGI.

Doug

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I wouldn't get too excited about these titles...Fox will end up delaying them anyways.
And I'm not being sarcastic...as a BD owner, I'd love to see several of these...Fox just has a horrible track record.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks