Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fox/MGM announce 19 titles for BD this Fall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
217 replies to this topic

#1 of 218 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 20 2007 - 08:20 AM

http://home.business....ews_view_popup

MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.

FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.

THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.

28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only

ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.

AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only

BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08

A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08

I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08

DIE HARD NOV. NOV.

DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER NOV NOV.

DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV. NOV.

RED DAWN (MGM) NOV. Q1 08

MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.

INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.

CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only

RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 218 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 08:25 AM

Actually, it's 19 catalog titles, plus new releases such as Live Free or Die Hard, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and Prison Break.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 218 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 08:51 AM

I'm guessing 28 Weeks Later will be another day and date release. It better be, anyway.

That's a good list of catalogue releases, but I wish there were more, considering it's supposed to take up to the end of the year. Also, I won't get too excited considering Fox's history with delays.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#4 of 218 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 09:11 AM

I'm really trying to buy only the must-own titles for the near-term, so, with that in mind, I will be picking up:

Quote:
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.

ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9

DIE HARD NOV.

DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER NOV.

DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV.

RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC.

If, by some miracle, they actually release the Die Hards individually, I will only pickup the first one. I will also pickup Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I would love to be able to rent 28 Weeks Later, Live Free or Die Hard, and The Simpsons Movie too.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 218 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 09:13 AM

I guess the films have have lots of special effects or CGI to qualify for BD release. How many times ca one watch those films? No true classic titles announced? No BD for me. I'll stick to my HD.
Ken

#6 of 218 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 09:16 AM

Oh, come on - Die Hard and RoboCop are both true classics. Posted Image

Seriously, though - it better be the uncut RoboCop with the Special Features of the DVD. And Master & Commander better port over all the bonus from the SE DVD.

No more bare bones titles Fox!

#7 of 218 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 09:28 AM

Some good stuff on there.

I'm a bit dissapointed though that the Alien films don't seem to be included. I read somewhere that at least "Alien" was rumored to be in the pipeline for BD
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#8 of 218 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 09:43 AM

When is the release date for Live Free & Die Hard and Fantastic Four #2?
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#9 of 218 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Joseph
When is the release date for Live Free & Die Hard and Fantastic Four #2?

It says "day and date" with the DVD, so I guess we'll have to wait until they announce those. The other three Die Hard's are in November, so logically LFoDH will be on the same date.

#10 of 218 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 10:12 AM

Strange there is no mention if these titles will be using BD+.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#11 of 218 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,038 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 20 2007 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Koc
I guess the films have have lots of special effects or CGI to qualify for BD release. How many times ca one watch those films? No true classic titles announced? No BD for me. I'll stick to my HD.
Let's leave such format bias comments to the proper two threads. Thank you.

By the way, though they might not be as classic as "Twelve O'Clock High, I think "Battle of Britain" and "A Bridge Too Far" qualifies as classic war films.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 218 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,021 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 10:19 AM

germany own the rights to both Fantastic four and FF2. they are releasing both titles in HD DVD.
http://www.amazon.de....7648381&sr=8-4
Jacob

#13 of 218 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 10:25 AM

So, the official count for the press release is 29 titles.

6 day-and-date Fox titles, only three which were specifically mentioned (FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Live Free or Die Hard, Prison Break).

4 day-and-date MGM titles.

19 catalog titles from Fox/MGM combined. (list above).

So - any idea what those other 3 Fox titles and 4 MGM titles would be? I think The Simpsons Movie is rather obvious.

#14 of 218 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 10:38 AM

28 Weeks Later might be another Fox title, and The Simpsons is a no-brainer, I think. I would love for "Sunshine" to be the other one.

As for MGM, I know they're distributing the new Halloween film (along with the Weinsteins), but I have no idea how this affects its HD status.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#15 of 218 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,665 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 10:42 AM

At least 9 titles of that list for me.

Posted Image

Cees

#16 of 218 OFFLINE   justinslot

justinslot

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 11:16 AM

Robocop is definite for me (that was my first Blu-ray preorder back in the day! Before I figured out how expensive the players were, and all the bad initial reviews came out, and I cancelled it.) Red Dawn, Die Hard and The Fly are all possibles. The Fly is the first hi-def Cronenberg, I believe.

#17 of 218 OFFLINE   loganhunter2002

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 11:32 AM

Can't wait until Fox cancels the titles again. Posted Image
Sony STR-DG910
Creative Megaworks 650 THX 6.1 (575 Watts RMS)
Toshiba HD-A2
Toshiba HD-XA2
PS3 60 GigXBox 360Sony KDL40S2000 40" Bravia Flat Panel LCD HDTVSamsung 50" Plasma HPS5033

#18 of 218 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Koc

I'd call BATTLE OF BRITAIN and A BRIDGE TOO FAR classic titles. And Ronin is an amazing action film with no CGI.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#19 of 218 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 12:07 PM

I wouldn't get too excited about these titles...Fox will end up delaying them anyways.
And I'm not being sarcastic...as a BD owner, I'd love to see several of these...Fox just has a horrible track record.

#20 of 218 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 12:08 PM

Where's PATTON, BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUBDANCE KID, SOUND OF MUSIC?
Ken

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow