Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Ugly Betty - The Complete First Season

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,590 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 20 2007 - 08:04 AM

Ugly Betty - The Complete First Season
Directed by James Hayman et al

Studio: Touchstone
Year: 2006-2007
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 anamorphic
Running Time: 992 minutes
Rating: TV-14
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 English, 2.0 Spanish
Subtitles: SHD, Spanish, French
MSRP: $59.99

Release Date: August 21, 2007
Review Date: August 20, 2007

The Series

4/5

Telenovelas have been popular in Spanish-speaking countries for decades. Ugly Betty was adapted for American television from a wildly popular Colombian series. As in all telenovelas, Ugly Betty contains a mixture of slapstick comedy, melodrama to the most outrageous degree, and characters that often run more toward caricature than real flesh and blood people. And yet, through all of this satirical extremity, there is heart and soul and warmth. With skillful writing, even the villains have traits that make viewers care about their fates. And the “heroes” of the story, the good guys who try to do the right thing despite overwhelming odds against them and adversaries who don’t play fair, become so endearing to us that we keep tuning in each week to root them on.

Ugly Betty burst on to the American airwaves in late September 2006 and was an instant hit. And it’s easy to see why: Betty Suarez (America Ferrera) is a Latina who has great hopes for working in the publishing industry. She gets as job as assistant to the editor of a fashion magazine, but the problem is that she’s about as far away from a fashion plate as one could be. Her co-workers, appalled that someone so gawky and gauche not only could be hired at their piece of perfection heaven but that she could actually be good at her job, throw obstacles in her path at every opportunity.

She works as the executive assistant for Daniel Meade (Eric Mabius), editor-in-chief of Mode, one of the top fashion magazines in the country. Wilhelmina Slater (Vanessa Williams), who coveted the job as editor, together with her viperous assistant Marc (Michael Urie), does everything she can to sabotage Daniel and Betty in the eyes of Mode’s publisher Bradford Meade (Alan Dale), Daniel’s father. At home, Betty must cope with a father (Tony Plana) who we learn several episodes into the season is an illegal immigrant, a beautiful sister (Ana Ortiz) who‘s an unwed single mother, and a preteen nephew (Mark Indelicato) who’s into fashion and musical theater. That Ugly Betty breaks (at long last) many of the rules for family comedy-dramas is one of its grandest accomplishments during its first season. Yes, it’s outrageous, frequently over-the-top, and awash in some stereotypes that some might find demeaning or decidedly out of date. But the show’s heart is in such a good place that it’s easy to overlook any eccentricities and overbearing traits and just enjoy the ride. There are usually a few laughs and a few tears to reward the viewer each week.

There isn’t a single cast member who hasn’t fit instantly into this world of haute couture and haughty conniving. American Ferrera gives an instant star-making performance as Betty. Vanessa Williams is as maliciously evil as one could hope as the treacherous snake in the grass. Eric Mabius as the playboy editor who jumps on and off the conscientious bandwagon during the season couldn’t be better cast. Among the guest stars who pop in for one or more visits this season are Christopher Gorham (very effective as one of Betty’s suitors), Judith Light, Gina Gershon, Salma Hyack, Patti Lupone, and Rita Moreno.

Not every plot strand attempted during the first season worked out well. A story arc with a female immigration case worker who falls for Betty’s father was tedious and went nowhere. Wilhelmina’s abrasive relationship with her daughter was a fizzle. Hilda’s sibling rivalry with Betty never rang true since the sisters are so very different in the skills and looks department. And speaking of sibling rivalries, Daniel and Alexis’ on again-off again filial bond was haphazardly written during the course of the season. But those were exceptions rather than the rule with the series. The ongoing romance between Henry and Betty played out beautifully through the season, and Hilda’s former love Santos popped up in several episodes to excellent effect.

Here is the line-up of episodes from the first season. An asterisk (*) marks an especially exemplary episode:

*1 - Pilot
2 - Queens for a Day
3 - The Box and the Bunny
4 - Swag
*5 - Fey’s Sleigh Ride
6 - The Lyin’, the Watch and the Wardrobe
7 - Trust, Lust and Must
8 - After Hours
*9 - Four Thanksgivings and a Funeral
*10 - Lose the Boss?
11 - Fake Plastic Snow
12 - Sofia’s Choice
13 - In or Out
*14 - I’m Coming Out
15 - Brothers
*16 - Derailed
17 - Icing on the Cake
*18 - Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell
19 - Punch Out
*20 - Petra-Gate
21 - Secretaries Day
22 - A Tree Grows in Guadalajara
*23 - East Side Story

Video Quality

4/5

The show is broadcast in high definition over ABC in 720p, and this widescreen anamorphic transfer is a down conversion 480p transfer. The show is noted for its kaleidoscopic arrays of bold primary colors, and this standard definition set only approximates the striking look of the sets and costumes in the HD broadcast. The colors could pop more, and contrast could have been heightened to give it a more luminous feel. The image is above average in sharpness in most shots though occasionally some scenes are lacking. There is some aliasing present in fine line structures though no other digital artifacts seem to occasionally mar the presentation. Each episode has been divided into 8 chapters apart from the pilot which was split into 7 chapters..

Audio Quality

3.5/5

The Dolby Digital 5.1 potential is mostly wasted in a dialog-heavy show such as this. Music is the primary occupant of the surround channels with an occasional voice also directed to something other than the center channel.

Special Features

4/5

Four of the episodes in this six disc set contain commentaries. The pilot features the director, writer, and executive producer of the show enthusiastically discussing in detail the writing, casting, and filming of this first episode in New York (subsequent episodes were filmed in Hollywood). The other commentary that’s really engaging is by Michael Urie (Marc) and Becki Newton (Amanda) on episode 5. The other two duos (Eric Mabius and Salma Hyack on episode 12 and Michael Urie and Vanessa Williams on episode 18) are much more subdued with long spaces without comments and nothing much of interest discussed.

“Becoming Ugly” is a 12-minute featurette concentrating on the making of the series, especially the adaptation the original telenovela into the American version. Comments from several of the series stars and footage from the show's two wins at the 2007 Golden Globes are featured in this feature presented in anamorphic widescreen.

“A La Mode” is a 7-minute background featurette on the set design and costume design for the series, both important elements in its overall success during its first season. This is also presented in anamorphic widescreen.

“Green Is the New Black” is a fascinating 5-minute explanation of how green screen is used to replicate New York locations while filming is done on the Paramount lot in Hollywood. This is also an anamorphic widescreen presentation.

The disc offers 27 deleted scenes amounting to a little over 20 minutes of footage. Most of the scenes are presented in 4:3 while a few are in non-anamorphic letterbox.

The special features conclude with a 3½-minute blooper reel made up of stumbles with lines, footing on the set, and inability to keep a straight face during a scene.

The disc also contains trailers for upcoming Disney DVD releases including Meet the Robinsons, Grey’s Anatomy - Season Three, Desperate Housewives - Season Three, and the first season of Brothers & Sisters.

In Conclusion

4/5 (not an average)

The quality of Ugly Betty was not lost on the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. It nominated the show for eleven Emmy Awards after its first season, and it seems certain to win some of those awards if not the big prize for Outstanding Comedy Series in mid-September. It’s probably not a show for all tastes, but if you like the built-in effervescent highs and melancholy lows of a comic soap opera, you won’t find a better example of the form than Ugly Betty.

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 07:18 PM

One of the best new shows I've seen in a long time. "Ugly" is the new beautiful !
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 08:49 AM

Got it today at Target! They have an exclusive bonus disc which is a Q&A with the cast.

As for the aesthetics of the set: The box is an old school fold-out set. No slim cases or micro packaging ala the CBS sets. However, the packaging itself is nice and slim. There are six cute-looking discs. They all feature color art of the cast members in a sort of metallic photo style. The accompanying booklet looks like a miniature of Mode magazine with Betty's picture on the cover. Inside the packaging there is the first of five rebate coupons you can save; they are refundable when you buy two or more of the following ABC dvds: Ugly Betty 1, Desperate Housewives 3, Grey's Anatomy 3, Brothers & Sisters 1 and What About Brian.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 24 2007 - 12:09 AM

I just got into this via Netflix and I love this show but I noticed something odd, on disc one episode 2 is actually labled as episode 3 so in the episode list above ep 2 is 'The Box and the Bunny' and ep 3 is 'Queens for a Day'. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Matthew Eagin

Matthew Eagin

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
I just got into this via Netflix and I love this show but I noticed something odd, on disc one episode 2 is actually labled as episode 3 so in the episode list above ep 2 is 'The Box and the Bunny' and ep 3 is 'Queens for a Day'. Posted Image

According to ABC, that's the correct order... the episode listing in the review is incorrect... and that's the order that they aired in as well... Box was the week before Queens.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,590 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 26 2007 - 03:14 PM

I watched every episode in the box set, but when it came time to list the episodes, I copied the list directly from the insert.

As I watched the episodes, they all seemed to flow very naturally from one to the next for me, so if they're out of order, I don't think it makes a significant difference in the flow of the series.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted August 26 2007 - 06:00 PM

If they're out of order then that's frustrating but it's not unheard of. This has happened with other series on DVD such as Mama's Family.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted August 27 2007 - 04:31 AM

As pointed out in annother thread, the episodes on the DVD are in the order they were produced in and was intended to have aired. ABC changed the playback order.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 04:22 AM

Does anyone know why when characters say the words "Fashion TV" they are bleeped out?

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 04:30 AM

Because anytime people on a show (real or fictional) speak or write the name of or wear something with a specific brand name logo, or anything along those lines that is a trademark/copywrited, the show would have to pay that company to use it. It's similar to the music replacement issue in a sense.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 04:33 AM

Ah okay, so it's not an in-joke I'm not getting or anything!
I take it this wasn't bleeped when it aired on tv, or was it?
Weird that the Fashion TV logo doesn't get blurred or anything then. Is "fashion tv" actually real?
As you can tell, I know nothing about these things!!!!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 09:36 AM

There's a show called Fashion Television that's been on for probably over 20 years here in Canada. I'm sure there are variants of it in many countries.