What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-21-2007 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Peter Weller (RoboCop – 1987)

– Abigail Breslin (The Ultimate Gift – 2006)

– Helen Gahagan, Randolph Scott (She - 1935)

– America Ferrara (Ugly Betty – 2006/7)

– Bruce Willis, Halle Berry (Perfect Stranger– 2007)

– The Milky Way– 1969

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoBickford Shmeckler’s Cool Ideas$16.99$11.99$19.99 - - Broken English$19.99$24.99$19.99 - - The Dark Backward$9.89$12.99$9.99 - - Dexter: Season 1$27.49$29.99$27.99$27.99$26.99Dog Whisperer: Season 2$27.99$34.99$34.99 - - **The Ex$21.99$19.99$17.99 - - House: Season 3$37.49$39.99$39.99$39.99$38.89House of Games (CC)$25.99$34.99$34.99 - - J.A.G.: Season 4$39.99$39.99$39.99$39.99 - The Lives of Others$18.89$19.99$19.99 - - The Milky Way (CC)$19.99 - $19.99 - - **Perfect Stranger$19.99$16.99$15.99$19.99 - Red Line$23.19 - $19.99 - - Reel Talent: 1st Films by Leg. Dir.$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - Rob Zombie Collector’s Set (3-disc)$22.49$22.99$19.99 - - RoboCop CE (20th Anniversary)$15.99$19.99$17.99 - - Sacco and Vanzetti$26.99$19.99$19.99 - - Serenity CE$18.89$17.99$19.99 - - She (1937)$18.69$19.99$19.99 - - South Park: Season 10$34.99$32.99$29.99$32.99 - ’Til Death: Season 1$27.49$27.99$34.99 - - Ugly Betty: Season 1$38.99$36.99$39.99$37.99$41.49The Ultimate Gift$19.99$19.99$19.99$19.99 -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoNone this week. - - - - -

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoImmortal Beloved$19.95$24.99$28.96 - - Perfect Stranger$26.95$29.99$38.96 - - Van Wilder$19.95$24.99$29.99 - -

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Reel Talent: 1st Films by Legendary Directors: Films made at the USC School of Film by then-students: George Lucas, Robert Zemeckis, Shawn Levy, Stephen Sommers, Jon Turteltaub, James Foley, Kevin Reynolds, Richard Kelly and Richard Bare.

Rob Zombie Collector’s Set (3-disc): House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil’s Rejects, 30 Days in Hell.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Perfect Stranger AND The Ex are available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s)!

--Attention: Best Buy Reward Zone Members!
Earn a $10 Entertainment Certificate with every $100 spent on Movies, Music & Game Software between 7-1-07 and 8-25-07. There are restrictions. For details…go to www.MyRewardZone.com. You MUST register at the site to receive this bonus deal! Don’t miss out!

--Best Buy also has a 2/$20 deal this week. Buy Perfect Stranger ($16.99) with EITHER Single White Female OR Closer ($9.99 apiece) and get both titles for $20. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy is also advertising a BONUS PACK OF SOUTH PARK POSTCARDS with its copies of South Park: Season 10 on DVD. Minimum 30 packs of card per store. No rain checks.

--Best Buy has an immediate $10 savings, this week, with the purchase of Ugly Betty: Season 1 ($36.99) and ANY ONE of the following five TV on DVD sets ($49.99 apiece): Lost: Season 1, Lost: Season 2, Desperate Housewives: Season 1, Desperate Housewives: Season 2, Grey’s Anatomy: Season 2. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy is also advertising an EXCLUSIVE FREE SERENITY COMIC BOOK with its copies of Serenity CE. Minimum 8 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy has EXCLUSIVE FREE MOVIE CASH TO SEE BALLS OF FURY with THE PURCHASE OF one OF THE FOLLOWING THREE MOVIES: 21 Grams, Hollywoodland, Waist Deep ($9.99 apiece). Minimum 8 per store. Movie Cash value = $7.50. Valid 8-31-07 thru 9-21-07. No rain checks.

--Best Buy also has FREE MOVIE CASH TO SEE “HALLOWEEN” with the purchase of any ONE of the following movies: Halloween 4 SE, Halloween 5 SE, Halloween: 25 Years of Terror ($12.99 apiece) OR Halloween ($9.99). Minimum 4 per store. Movie Cash value = $10.50. Valid 8-31-07 thru 9-21-07. No rain checks.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:Best Buy has a number of DVDs listed for $9.99 with which you also get a FREE $20 GIFT CARD when you buy five of those titles. Best Buy also has Angels: Seasons 1-5 and Buffy: Seasons 1-7 on sale for $15.99 apiece!

--Circuit City has a $10 instant savings this week when you buy Ugly Betty on DVD along with ANY iTunes card. In-store only. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Circuit City is also advertising that seasons 1-9 of South Park are on sale this week. Although no price is noted, I would suspect they would be at the same $29.99 price as Season 10 this week.

--Circuit City Odds and Ends: Circuit City has a list of DVDs for sale @ $5.99 (“double feature” collections), $7.99 and $9.99 apiece.

--Target is advertising an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with its copies of Ugly Betty. Includes special Q & A from The Museum of Television & Radio. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--Target also has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with its copies of Dexter: Season 1. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--Target has SPECIAL LENTICULAR PACKAGING AND A BONUS DVD with its copies of South Park: Season 10. Bonus DVD includes debut episode of The Sarah Silverman Program. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--And, Target will reward you with a FREE $5 TARGET GIFTCARD with the purchase of EITHER House: Season 3 OR South Park: Season 10. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--Target Odds and Ends: Target returns to its usual selection of DVDs listed at $7.50 and $10.00 this week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

Wild Hogs $19.99
TMNT $19.99
Fracture $19.99

$5.99 Double Features (TBA):
Class/Secret Admirer
Desperately Seeking Susan/Something Wild
Alien Nation/Enemy Mine
French Kiss/She's The One
??/Volcano
Rising Sun/Sugar Hill
Vanished/Black Widow
Class Action/Runaway Jury
Nine Months/The Truth about Cats and Dogs
The Edge/Tigerland
Johnny Be Good/??
Once Bitten/??
Risky Business/Great Expectations
vanished/Chain Reaction
??/Dying Young
???/???
Planet of the Apes/Quest of Fire
The Sure Thing/Valley Girl
Cocoon/Cocoon 2
Anywhere But Here/Stealing Beauty

$4.99 each:
The Last Boy Scout
Eraser
After the Sunset
The Cell
Angel Eyes
Under Siege
The Exorcist
Clash of the Titans
Cellular
Queen of the Damned
Forever Young
Absolute Power
Empire of the Sun
City of Angels
i am sam
Lean on Me
Now and Then
Pleasantville
Rules of Attraction
Kangaroo Jack
King's Ransom
The Upside of Anger
Son of Mask
Blade
Return of the Living Dead part 2
Money Talks
Strange Brew
Analyze This
Risky Business
3000 Miles to Graceland
Summer Catch

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

Free Movie Cash for "Balls of Fury" when you buy one of these 3 movies
21 Grams $9.99
Hollywoodland $9.99
Waist Deep $9.99
($7.50 value. Valid 8/31/07 thru 9/21/07 in participating theaters. Minimum 8 per store. No rainchecks.)

$15.99 each:
Angel Seasons 1 - 5
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Seasons 1 - 7

9.99 each - Buy 5, get a free $20 gift card instantly
The Prestige
The Covenant
The Guardian
Pride & Prejudice
X-Men, The Last Stand
The Illusionist
The Breakfast Club, High School Reunion Collection
E.T.
Invincible (Wahlberg)
The Devil Wears Prada
Smokey and the Bandit SE
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Step Up
Stick It
Aliens
Alien Resurrection
I Heart Huckabees
I, Robot
Air Buddies
Backdraft, Anniversary Edition
The Rhinemann Exchange
Meatballs, SE
Tremors, Attack Pack
Psycho Triple Feature, (II, III, and IV)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail, SE
Darkman Trilogy

Free Movie Cash for Dimension's "Halloween" when you purchase one of these Halloween movies available now.
Halloween, 25 Years of Terror $12.99
Halloween 4, SE $12.99
Halloween 5, SE $12.99
Halloween $9.99
$10.50 value. Valid 8/31 thru 9/21 in participating theaters ONLY. Minimum 4 per title per store. No rainchecks.

2 for $25 or $14.99 each:
Handy Manny, Tooling Around
Rocket's Firebird Rescue

300 $16.99

HD DVD:
$34.99 each (HD DVD and DVD Combo Format)
The Departed
The Fountain
Superman Returns
Happy Feet
TMNT
Letters from Iwo Jima

$24.99 each
Blue Planet, IMAX
Blood Diamond
Unforgiven
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
March of the Penguins
Batman Begins

Blu-ray discs: Buy 2 and Save $10, buy 3 and save $20
$29.99 each:
The Prestige
Wild Hogs
Gone in 60 Seconds (Cage/Jolie)
Pearl Harbor
Eight Below
Deja Vu

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$10 each:
Monster House
Devils Wear Prada
Akeelah and the Bee
Over the Hedge
Charlotte's Web
Flags Of Our Father
Dreamgirls
Talladega Nights
The Holiday
Click
Davinci Code

$7.50 each:
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
Titanic
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Ultimate Avengers 2
Robots
Kicking and Screaming/Big Fat Liar - Double Feature

$16.99 each:
Shooter
Premonition

Low Price:
Disturbia
Are We Done Yet??

DVD SETS
Disney Rockets Firebird Rescue $17.99
Handy Manny Tooling around $14.99

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:eek: The Dark Backward

Somehow I missed that one was being released

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
One more title for the Blu-Ray list: The Lives Of Others (this past year's Best Foreign Film Oscar-winner) is also coming out Tuesday:

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoThe Lives Of Others
$26.99$29.99$38.96 - -

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, gents!

I will be picking up Ugly Betty, but may wait for a better deal to come along (like, say, buy it in tandem with Grey's Anatomy if someone has one of those buy 2 and get $10 off promotions like they usually do.) Otherwise, I may NetFlix She to see what that is all about. This is one of those films I have been aware of my entire life, but have never seen. Ray Harryhausen references his involvement in the new colorization of She several times in the supplements of his recent 20 Million Miles to Earth DVD, so, now I am curious.

Mary_P

Second Unit
The "Serenity" Collector's Edition for me -- this will be a triple-dip for me, having already bought the R1 and R4 releases. Thanks for the tip on the Best Buy comic; I'm guessing it's material I've already seen, but what the hey.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up South Park: Season Ten.

Just to clarify, 30 Days In Hell is a feature length making-of documentary of The Devil's Rejects (and is available as disc two in The Devil's Rejects DVD).

Thanks for the prices! :)

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like SP season 10 and Serenity for the double dip.

Thanks as usual for the roundup.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Serenity Collector's Edition. Just watched the film again last night, so I am primed to watch with the cast commentary on the Collector's Edition later this week.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm tempted to pick up Robocop, but I would rather get it on Blu-Ray, anyone have any idea if it's going to be released?

Mary_P

Second Unit
Just picked up the "Serenity" Collector's Edition -- what an improvement on the packaging. The free comic book that Best Buy is advertising is a reduced version of the first of the three comics that came out before the movie (or the first third of the trade paperback), with a new cover. The comic is packaged with the box, shrinkwrapped onto the back of it. Kinda a drag that the trim size is slightly too tall to allow it to be stored with the discs inside the box, but that's a pretty minor nitpick.

Also there seems to be what may be an unadvertised sale at Best Buy on a bunch of TV titles at $24.99 each. I didn't get a full list, but it was a lot of Fox and Warners stuff. I picked up "Picket Fences" S1 and a friend got "The Dresden Files," though we had to turn the store upside down to find it. (If you have trouble finding it in your store, try under the "Drama" section. Er, what?) I know "Boston Legal" S1 & 2 were also on the list.

Mary

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Mary! I've been looking for a good deal on Boston Legal: Season 2. Was thinking about waiting until Season 3 hits the streets (to see if there would be any package deals)...but my wife and I are chewing through season 1 at a record clip! ;)

Mary_P

Second Unit
The $24.99 sets are listed at Best Buy's website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=31590

In somewhat more organized form:

Boston Legal S1, 2
Dresden Files S1
Fall Guy S1
Kyle XY S1
Law & Order SVU S3
Magnum P.I. S4
Monk S1, 2, 3, 4
My Name Is Earl S1
Nip/Tuck S1, 2, 3
The Office S2
One Tree Hill S1, 2, 3
Picket Fences S1
Rockford Files S3
Scrubs S3
Smallville S1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Stargate SG-1 S8
Supernatural S1
The Unit S1
Weeds S2
Will & Grace S6

And, hey, it's nice to be able to point *you* in the direction of a deal for a change! Thanks to you and Patrick for the detailed information every week -- it's much appreciated!

Mary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks