What's new

Do you own any colorized versions of films? (1 Viewer)

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Out of curiosity; does anyone here own any colorized versions of black and white films? If so; what is your opinion of the colorized version? I don't own any, and never would knowingly buy anything like that (the exception being the Legend Film releases which I buy for the Mike Nelson commentary tracks).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
No. I will eventually pick up the new VCI Christmas Carol, as well several of the Legend Films editions of public domain films. However, only for the B&W original versions. I'm not interested in seeing a film altered that way, even if a certain prominent stop-motion animator supervises the process.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I've acquired a few over the years as a reviewer, and at the risk of being burned at the stake, I have to say they're not as bad as people make out. Certainly the early colorizations such as the Laurel and Hardy shorts are quite appalling, but some colorizations like the Bewitched series or the Shirley Temple boxset that was released here in R2 were quite pleasing to watch. In a truly ideal world, movies would be restored to the best possible condition and any colorization carried out from that master, then both color and monochrome versions would be included on the disc. As long as the color version doesn't become the only version the studio puts out, and has been produced with some care for the source material, then I'm not as vehemently opposed to colorization as some folks, but of course I'd rather see the monochrome original restored to sparkling condition.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well after seeing 20 Million Miles to Earth in colour I might never watch it in black and white ever again. I thought they did a pretty good job, the films black and white photography was crap to begin with.

The Mark of Zorro was also a good attempt at colorization though the faces still looked pasty, at least they've included the original B/W version.

But it's funny how some people turn their noses up at colorization but don't seem to mind mono sound converted to 5.1 surround and in a few cases with new sound effects added on top.

IMO let them do what they like to sell the movie as long as the original untampered version is also included.

ps. Looking forward to the 1935 She, on DVD release soon, I've seen the trailer and the colour looks mmmm. ;)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Only by accident. I purchased Blood On The Sun courtesy of Artisan and NO WHERE on the package does it say the film is colorized and, in fact, the jacket is clearly labeled "Black and White". Needless to say I was pissed.

I have no interest in colorization but Steve makes an excellent point about "snobs" who wouldn't be caught dead with a colorized movie in their collection but start drooling when they hear a mono film has been remastered and remixed in 5.1 stereo sound!

BTW, is there a decent print of Blood On The Sun in B&W out there?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would only buy a colorized title if the black and white version is included, plain and simple. I also try to only buy films that include the original audio configurations as well as any newfangled versions, but that's not always possible.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I know the HTF is pretty split on colorization, but I don't like it. I'm not an audiophile, and am listening with two speakers anyway, so I don't know much about that end. But, I know that if it was shot black-and-white, colorizing it is as bad *to me* as P&S. I don't like some modern technician deciding what can be cut out of a frame, and I don't want him to guess what color a dress was, either. I'm not a film snob, in any case. It's the old, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I *don't* like."

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Yes.

The Ultimate Collectors Edition of THE SEARCHERS.

It's colorized with yellow.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
To echo what Steve says, the colorization of 20 Millions Miles to Earth is extremely well-done. The technology has improved tremendously and the colors actually quite realistic.

That said, I personally would not have recommended it had it not also included the original B&W version.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Most of our colorized acquisitions are Christmas themed.

On DVD I own the VCI b&w/colorized version of SCROOGE: A CHRISTMAS CAROL, the Alastair Sim version. About once every other year, we'll dig it out when we're not in a black & white mood, but always screen the black & white each year, usually Christmas Eve. I'm happy that it's available both ways and will pick up the new version when it shows up this fall.

Somewhere, I think on a VHS tape, we have a colorized version of the Reginald Owen A CHRISTMAS CAROL. We haven't watched that in years, mostly because of the tape medium I suppose, preferring the b&w DVD. If the colorized one were available like the Sim version, we'd probably do double-duty with those two versions as well each year.

Last year we bought an updated MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET DVD package with both a colorized and black & white version. Again, we'll screen both during the Christmas season.

Somewhere on tape I grabbed a telecast of CASABLANCA that Ted Turner had colorized, and I think I also grabbed a KING KONG colorized telecast. I haven't watched them (probably ever), but keep them around as sort of a historical record of what someone had done.

Harry

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Could anyone please post some screen grabs of the colorized SHE and 20 MILLION YEARS TO EARTH? They seem to be the ones people have anything good to say about and I'd love to see some shots. Thanks in advance!!!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I have 6 of John Wayne's colorized Lone Star films from Legend. They are great fun to watch...wish Legend would release all 16 of the Duke's Lone Star films in color.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've never liked the idea of colorized films, so I do not own any. I love the look of old black & white films. There is great beauty in the cinematography of many b&w films.

BTW, I am also a big fan of black & white still photography. As an amateur photographer, I really appreciate how difficult it can be to produce a quality black & white image compared to color.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I have the colorized Carnival of Souls and actually like it better. The colors made me notice details that I hadn't before.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Same thing happened when I watched 20 Million Miles to Earth. The colours really opened the film up visually. I prefer it to the original B/W. That said, considering all the progress in colorization they still haven't perfected face colour, which still looks a little pasty. And everyone in the film seems to have the same skin colour... ;)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Finally got a chance to check out 20 Million Miles To Earth in color. Well, I'll grant you the colorization process has improved somewhat but it still looks like a kid took a crayon to the movie. It just doesn't look natural. Plus they made no attempt to stay true to the actual coloring of the actors. For example, anyone who has seen William Hopper in a Technicolor movie like Rebel Without A Cause or The High And The Mighty KNOWS he has silver hair. The crayonists who colored 20 Million Miles made him a blonde!!!

While the color version is a novelty (the only way it works), when I sit down to watch the movie, I'll go the way it intended to be shown in cinemas ..... black and white.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks