-

Photo

Do you care when a DVD doesn't include the teasers or trailers or TV spots?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   PaulKTF

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 07:14 AM

Just wondering what the forum's opinion on missing teaser/trailer/TV spots are.

I only care when the missing teaser or trailer or TV spot(s) has footage that didn't make it into the final film. THen it really annoys me. Beyond that, I'd rather have that space on the DVD used for a commentary track or a making of featurette.
-Paul.

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 07:49 AM

Paramount really dropped the ball on the last two Martin and Lewis box sets. At least half of their films had trailers which featured special footage of Dean and Jerry talking to the audience about their new movie. One particularly clever one was for SAILOR BEWARE. The trailer starts as if it were the feature with the Paramount logo and the opening title card. Then - without warning - Jerry crashes through the movie screen and yells at the projectionist to stop the film saying "our picture isn't playing now - it's coming next."

It was a great opportunity to include this rare footage which hasn't been seen in years, but not one trailer was included in these two box sets.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 09:47 AM

Quite simply and honestly, trailers are the single most important DVD extra in the marketplace for me. If required, I can forego all other extras but this one; when the trailer is missing, I go white hot. It's a ridiculous omission, especially in light of how little disc space they take up. I can sort of let it slide when there are music rights issues (though that always smacks of studios having shallow pockets), but otherwise, it's inexcusable, especially when the trailer appears on an earlier edition but is dropped on a reissue (like today's otherwise stellar release of the 2-disc CE of TAXI DRIVER), requiring me to hold on to two DVDs of the same movie. You have no idea the sigh of relief I gave when it was uncovered that TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE would feature a trailer after all. Sometimes I feel like weeping at the recent trend of missing trailers for Spielberg (my favorite director) films...THE TERMINAL, WAR OF THE WORLDS, MUNICH...sigh...(shakes head, collapses shoulders, defeated)
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, this trend of not including trailers is something that really bothers me, especially for older titles where's it's fun and interesting to see how films were promoted in different eras or it can be nostalgic if you remember a certain trailer really affecting you.

They're an art unto themselves.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,148 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 03:06 PM

It bugs me enormously too, especially on older titles. I would have thought this would be a no-brainer by now that the bulk of DVD lovers enjoy having original advertising material included. And yes, just like Travis, I hold on to older releases of movies in order to have trailers that have been omitted from newer reissues - I have an extremely old "Live" Video DVD of AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON that has a teaser left off of Universal's otherwise stellar DVD.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 04:41 PM

I think trailers are important, too. I love the one on the Johnny Dangerously DVD, with Joe Piscopo in the projection booth (in character as Danny Vermin). Those types of trailers are the best, and also the ones with cut scenes of course (a couple of my favorites are from the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 14 2007 - 05:03 PM

I love trailers, so yes, I'd prefer it if the studio includes the film's trailer on its own DVD release.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 05:37 PM

I almost never care unless it's a really special trailer (like the Kubrick ones).

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 11:23 PM

Trailers should be mandatory ,no matter what the movie is.You get to see how the movie was marketed.Im especially upset when an 80s movie is released without a trailer.
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 11:34 PM

I sometimes enjoy watching them once, but I could care less if trailers are included. But I also don't care if there are featurettes or any of that stuff; I like a quality presentation of the movie, and anything else I can take or leave.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Reynolds
I sometimes enjoy watching them once, but I could care less if trailers are included. But I also don't care if there are featurettes or any of that stuff; I like a quality presentation of the movie, and anything else I can take or leave.

Aaron, this is how I feel, except, often I don't even watch them once.

That said, it is ridiculous they can't include the trailer, yet jam pack it full of "previews" many times where you can't even skip them.

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   JohnTRU

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 12:41 AM

Not at all.

I buy the DVD for the film, not the trailers. Even if they're on the disc, I'll probably watch them once (if that) and not bother about them again.

Sure, for completists' sake they're essential, but in all reality they're rather superfluous. Except of course they're the trailers for the Star Wars prequels and then they just remind me that 'a good trailer does not a good movie make'.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 04:10 AM

It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I definitely like to watch them. I think they're much more representative of the time the film was made than the movies themselves. Plus it's fun to watch the evolution of trailers as an art-form, as they get slicker and more misleading.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 04:25 AM

Nine times out of ten, the trailers and TV spots are the only extras I watch on a disc. I find myself disappointed when they are not included - especially for older pre-2000s films where the trailers were sometimes more creative than the film they were promoting.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,016 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 15 2007 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanOhara
It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I definitely like to watch them.
That's my POV on the subject too.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted August 15 2007 - 05:31 AM

They mean nothing to me.

In fact, I get bothered when they call them "Bonus Material". They are usually never remastered and so look pretty bad. Now, since I rarely watch them, this might not still be true but it was the few times I looked.

I actually get mad when they are the only "bonus material" on a dvd release.

I consider Bonus Material to be newly made material, or material never before seen.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 06:05 AM

To me, including a trailer is one of the most basic requirements of a disc. Back in the LaserDisc days, we'd get a film and a trailer, and that was it most of the time.

While you do get more stuff with discs today, I cannot fathom the reasoning behind leaving off the movie's trailer. I actually agree with an earlier poster who thought they should be mandatory!

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 06:31 AM

I'm more upset over DVDs not having music videos. In the 80's, they were a lot bigger part of the promotion of the film than TV spots or trailers. They included clips of the film, and were many times shot with the cast of the film in the video.

While you could say it has something to do with music rights, if THE ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLAINE can be released, as a budget title, with the Billy Idol "Cradle of Love" video on it, a song that was on a different label than the film, and a more popular song than it was a film, than most films should be able to carry the music videos. Especially when the song only existed on the soundtrack for the film.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,347 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 15 2007 - 06:35 AM

I don't mind when it's a new movie missing trailers, because I'll probably already have the trailer somewhere on one of my drives. But I do get pissed when it's an old classic and the trailers not on the DVD. I'm a bit of a fan of ancient movie trailers, I collect em, someone has to! Posted Image -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Danoldrati

Danoldrati

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi
It's unthinkable not to put the trailer on the DVD. I'm always disappointed when it's not included.
Great day
Dan

Forum Nav Content I Follow