Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Roseanne Season 8--Edited

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted August 13 2007 - 06:43 AM

Does anyone know why the Patty Duke Show parody with the two Beckys isn't on the tag of the season premier episode of Roseanne season 8? The episode ends and it just goes to generic ending credits instead of the parody tag.

Also, apparently there is a music substitution. I don't know which episode yet, but apparently they replace the Three's Company theme with generic 70s style music. Which ruins the joke about the Three's Company being the 70's Friends. This doesn't bother me as much as the missing tag, but I'm still not too happy about this.

Anchor Bay has been really, really good about releasing the complete uncut episodes. I wonder what happened?

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 13 2007 - 06:54 AM

This is just silly. Considering Three's Company was also put out by Anchor Bay, I'd say it was a Carsey Werner slip-up.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Demis G

Demis G

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted August 13 2007 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
This is just silly. Considering Three's Company was also put out by Anchor Bay, I'd say it was a Carsey Werner slip-up.

so this means I'll buy the R4 edition or even the R2

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 04:32 AM

Well, I watched more of season 8 and there are a couple of more episodes with generic end titles. One of them being the episode where Scoot and Leon get married. I saw that episode when it originally aired and I know that there is something missing at the end but I can't remember what. Was it the Judy and Liza impersonators singing? At the moment I can't remember which other episode had generic ending credits. This is rather upsetting after all of the work that Anchor Bay has done to release the rest of the seasons complete and uncut.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 12:02 PM

I would assume the changes were made because they could not license the theme song music .

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Nick_TV

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 01:35 PM

Here are the cuts that I know about:

"Shower The People You Love With Stuff" - The ending tag scene with the 2 Beckys with "The Patty Duke Show" theme has been replaced by a black screen and credits rolling.

"December Bride" -The ending tag scene with Milton Berle in drag catching the boquet has been replaced by a black screen and credits rolling.

"Construction Junction" - The ending tag scene with David and Tiny Tim playing the ukulele has been replaced by a black screen and credits rolling.

"Disney World War I" - David singing the "When You Wish Upon A Star" song has been replaced with blank audio. The video is the same.

"Disney World War II" - The "When You Wish Upon A Star" song has been replaced with generic marching music. The video is the same.

I spoke to Anchor Bay/Starz and they said they put on the DVD set whatever Carsey/Werner gave them. So, it's Carsey/Werner's fault. I think they just got lazy towards the end. I don't understand why they can put the Betwitched reference at the end of "Homecoming" (Season 6) but not some of the stuff above. I think they just didn't put the effort into it. Perhaps because of DVD sales. Whatever the case.... I don't care they suck!

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Himes
Also, apparently there is a music substitution. I don't know which episode yet, but apparently they replace the Three's Company theme with generic 70s style music. Which ruins the joke about the Three's Company being the 70's Friends. This doesn't bother me as much as the missing tag, but I'm still not too happy about this.

it wasn't Three's Company, which AB owns also, so they could've worked that out, it was Facts Of Life, a Sony property

I don't understand how on earth AB was able to afford to use Jailhouse Rock in season 5, but not the theme songs to Patty Duke and Facts Of Life in season 8? Surely Elvis costs just a tad bit more than two theme songs from the past.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   David*W

David*W

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 07:11 AM

I think the cheapening of Season 8, probably has to do with Anchor Bay being taken over/merging with Starz. There has been a drop in quality of releases since they merged.

As has been pointed out, it seems illogical that they could clear the use of theme tunes from shows like 'Bewitched' and 'Bonanza' in the past, but they couldn't get 'The Patty Duke Show'.

Also as has been pointed out they managed to get 'Jailhouse Rock' back in Season 5, but somehow could not get 'The Merry Go Round Broke Down' for Season 8.

I don't think any effort was even made to get the music and they decided outright to just chop any music and save themselves the money.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 07:34 AM

I suppose it's a good thing that AB didn't merge with Starz until the show started dropping in quality. While I do like season 8, I can handle edits on that set moreso than seasons 5 and 6 when I think the series was really at it's pinnacle.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 06:14 PM

Well, I hate that the 2 Beckys tag isn't there. That was an inspired bit of comedy. But this doesn't surprise me since the series is almost done on DVD and perhaps sales are down. Plus it's widely thought that the series had jumped over the shark and entered the Bermuda Triangle around this point in the series. And it was indeed Facts Of Life that they referred to as a precursor to Friends. The version that aired wasn't the original it was a sound-alike.

I'm not as concerned about the other edits but it's still frustrating since things had been going smoothly in previous volumes. I shudder to think what they'll cut out of the lackluster final season, which they are now rush shipping in a couple of months.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 11:26 PM

Considering I LOVE "The Patty Duke Show" and "Roseanne" - and that was like the greatest segement of Roseanna for me, I won't be picking up this season if it's edited out.

And the sales will continue to go down for the DVDs if they begin butchering out classic television.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   RoryR

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted September 11 2007 - 04:21 AM

I was quite disappointed to find scenes missing, changed music I can understand and accept (especially on a show like Roseanne), but to have scenes missing is quite a travesty.

Starz put out a press release today, its at TVSOD, and they say it will be the same in Season 9 - I hope that means audio replacement, not missing scenes.

The press release says all episodes are intact except with regards to music cues, which can't be true - there is a scene with two becky's that is definatley gone.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 11 2007 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAn
Considering I LOVE "The Patty Duke Show" and "Roseanne" - and that was like the greatest segement of Roseanna for me, I won't be picking up this season if it's edited out.

And the sales will continue to go down for the DVDs if they begin butchering out classic television.
I was going to type this exact same thing. One thing I remember from the show was when Roseanne told Dan he couldn't feed the kids a big can of corn for dinner and the other one was the Patty Duke parody. Big laughs...now gone. Damn. Just. Damn.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted September 11 2007 - 04:59 AM

Well, at least they gave us an explanation. It's a bit of a bummer...but with greedy music rights issues, what can you do? I'm glad I have season 8 and I will be getting season 9 to finish off the series, but I'm not happy about the missing music. ~sigh~

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 11 2007 - 07:01 AM

I don't buy Starz's BS explanation. Why were they able to negotiate Elvis, Blues Traveller and The Grateful Dead all in this same season, but NOT the theme song music to Patty Duke and Facts Of Life? I seriously doubt the FOL theme song costs more than Heartbreak Hotel.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted September 11 2007 - 08:07 AM

Popularity of the song plays a very little role in determining cost. It's all about who holds the rights and how willing they are to deal.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 11 2007 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Levine
Popularity of the song plays a very little role in determining cost. It's all about who holds the rights and how willing they are to deal.

yes, but come on man... Elvis? His stuff isn't cheap! It's like being able to afford The Beatles but the Just The Ten Of Us theme song is too much $$$$. I think it's more like Starz not wanting to put money in rival studios' bank account (I know Facts is Sony, not sure about Patty Duke show) than anything else.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 11 2007 - 09:42 AM

Patty Duke Show is MGM, of which Sony owns 20%.

Fox didn't mind shelling out for The Facts of Life theme (along with those of One Day at a Time and Diff'rent Strokes) on Family Guy Volume 1, not to mention the Sanford & Son and What's Happening themes on King of the Hill DVDs. All under Sony's control.

Or does Alan Thicke still have Bentley payments to make?

Maybe studios should just start stealing music; everybody does it, and they cheat actors out of royalties all the time! Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   moogaboo

moogaboo

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted September 11 2007 - 09:59 AM

I'm surprised at how feeble Starz' excuse is. If I were a Roseanne buyer, I'd be on the horn, pronto, to let them know that it didn't fly with me. Also, I'd ask for an explanation for those missing non-musical scenes, and I'd specifically point which ones. Although, I guess these demands would just fall on deaf ears, wouldn't they? It's too bad.

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted September 11 2007 - 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
yes, but come on man... Elvis? His stuff isn't cheap! It's like being able to afford The Beatles but the Just The Ten Of Us theme song is too much $$$$. I think it's more like Starz not wanting to put money in rival studios' bank account (I know Facts is Sony, not sure about Patty Duke show) than anything else.

Again, it's all about the rights holders. I hear WAY more Elvis music used in things than I do The Beatles.

Some rights holders like the idea of getting their music out there to more people, some treat it like it's an insult to the music.

It has absolutely nothing to do with popularity or album sales.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow