What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Woo Hoo, it's football season once again!

I feel good about the Bengals this year, there is not a team in the league that can stop them. However, there are a few judges and league rules that may de-rail a superbowl season.

tyler

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can see the Eagles winning the NFC East, and a good chance of getting to the Super Bowl, with the NFC being weak.

Let's go Birds!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for starting a new thread, Patrick. I thought about doing the same last weekend.

I'll kick things off with an analysis of my local team, the mighty (cough) Detroit Lions. Others feel free to fill us in on your local or favorite team.
  • QB: Jon Kitna is the unquestioned starter. He threw for a lot of yards last season, but averaged over 2 turnovers per game. He'll need to protect the ball better this season. Hopefully the offensive line will offer better protection than last season. If Kitna gets injured, though, this team is in deep trouble. There is not another QB on the roster with any significant NFL game experience.
  • RB: Kevin Jones is still recovering from a serious foot injury, and will probably start the season on the PUP, missing at least the first six games. That means the Tatum Bell will carry the load. There are questions whether he can catch the ball well enough, which is required in the Martz offense. TJ Duckett will be the short yardage back -- he looks old so far in camp.
  • WR: The strength of the offense. Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald give the team four legitimate NFL receivers. Johnson looks like the real deal, unlike previous high first round picks Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. If Kitna gets the time to throw, these guys will put up some stats.
  • OL: The biggest question mark on the team. This unit was terrible last season, ranking #32 in rushing and 2nd worst in sacks given up. There are two new starters at RT (George Foster) and LG (Ed Mutilalo), along with a 50 pound lighter Damien Woody, who returns from injury. It's difficult to imagine the unit not being better than last season, but the question is will they be improved enough to make a difference? I think the unit is still not very good, and the team will struggle to run the ball, leading to red zone problems as Kitna will be forced to throw too much.
  • DL: This is where all the money was spent on the defensive side of the ball. Kalimba Edwards, Corey Redding and Dewayne White are all getting paid more than they are worth, and Shaun Rogers was a major disappointment last season. The unit lacks a quality outside pass rusher, which means opposing QB's will have lots of time to pick on a weak secondary.
  • LB: There is Ernie Sims and little else here. Boss Bailey and Teddy Lehman have not been able to stay healthy since they were drafted, and Paris Lenon is merely average at middle linebacker. Do you think that Poslusky would have looked good here instead of drafting QB Drew Stanton, who is on injured reserve?
  • Secondary: This unit is a disaster. Safety Kenoy Kennedy is the only proven NFL-caliber starter in the group. CB Fernando Bryant can't stay healthy, and last year's 2nd round draft pick (safety Bullock) is unproven. The other CB spot is up for grabs between a bunch of youngsters and journeymen. The pass defense will not be pretty.

Outlook: The offense will be exciting with all the passing possibilities, but teams win with quality offensive lines and defense, and the Lions have neither. While Detroit is a fashionable pick to be this year's Saints, I think they will struggle to win six games.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
Here's my outlook on the 2007 Dallas Cowboys. I really think the NFC East is pretty weak. The Eagles typically implode, Washington is rebuilding and New York is really in trouble especially when Strahan hangs them up.

Phillips is a defensive minded coach and defense is where the Cowboys had issues. They played too passive for my tastes and Phillips will solve that issue. I expect Ware to have a mega year(15+ sacks or more). Phillips will let Jason Garrett run their offense which looks to be fairly efficient so far.

QB: Romo is the man this year. He has this year to further prove that. If not then look for management to draft a QB next year given they have 2 first round picks.

RB: The top 3 running backs are solid. Jones has to prove he can stay healthy otherwise they will just keep giving the ball to Barber who is a touchdown machine inside the 20. Jones needs to run well this year given how big the line is and how they should open up holes left and right.

WR: A strength but their 2 main receivers are old. If they go down with injuries, there isn't much of any decent backups.

TE: Another strength. Look for Witten and Fasano to get the ball a bunch.

OL: Another area of strength. Their main offensive lineman are HUGE.

Defensively: Their line is good but thin if Jason Ferguson goes down. Their linebacking core is solid. Greg Ellis remains a question mark but Anthony Spencer was drafted to help that. He still needs to learn how to play Lb because he was a down lineman before otherwise it really puts the pressure on Ware to do it all.

Their secondary is somewhat questionable still. Ken Hamlin needs to prove he's a solid center fielder. I'm hoping the increased defensive pressure will help him as well otherwise I think it will continue to show how limited Roy Williams is. He's more of an ILB IMHO.

Kicking and Punting is solid. No worries there.

Overall: They are setup to win the East. A lot of hope is put on how Phillips will magically make the Cowboy defense the aggressive force they need to be. Phillips has proven he can do this. I still question whether Romo or Julius Jones are capable starters for this team. And I couldn't forget about TO. So far he's been fairly quiet but it's only a matter of time.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I created a HTF pickem group on Yahoo for those who are interested.
All you do is pick the winning teams each week.
NO SPREAD, so its easy.
Its free, easy and fun.
Your 2 lowest scores are thrown out.
The group # is 29026
The password is widescreen

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I think 5,000 passing yards is a stretch, the offense will put up some impressive passing stats. However, that will be due mostly to (1) the poor defense giving up a lot of points, causing the team to play from behind most of the time, and (2) an inability to run the ball. So, there will be a lot of "3 and out" drives, as well as drives that go backwards due to sacks and offensive holding penalties to go along with the flashy, quick drives. Also, the inability to run the ball well will result in a lot a Jason Hanson FG attempts when drives stall in the red zone.

So, even with all those passing yards, I cannot imagine this team winning more than 6 games.

However, should Kitna get injured and miss a significant number of games, all bets are off on the passing stats. Neither backup QB looks to be capable of running an NFL offense well, and Martz's offense is more difficult to run than a typical offense.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
One more 1st round pick down, Revis signs with the Jets.

JaMarcus is the only guy left. I wonder how far apart he is with the Raiders on contract talks?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think Russell and the Raiders are quite far apart in negotiations right now. With training camp wrapping up, this season is pretty much a loss for Russell. Whenever he signs (maybe not until after the season begins), he'll be the #3 QB, which means almost no practice time during the regular season.

Jim_F

Screenwriter

I'm in. I've also started a Home Theater Forum group for ESPN Pigskin Pick'em. Similar rules, but no scores dropped. The password is OAR.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Jamarcus and the Raiders are still far apart. Clayton reported yesterday. There hasn't been any contact between the two sides in 8 days.

NikkiJo

Grip
I can't wait to see how on fire Reggie Bush is gonna be this season...He is soooo ridic. talented (he can apparently even play soccer - hahah check this out )

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since we are halfway through the exhibition season, it's as good a time as any for me to make my season predictions.

NFC North:
1. Chicago
2a. Minnesota
2b. Detroit
4. Green Bay

NFC East:
1. Dallas
2. Philly
3. Washington
4. NY Giants

NFC South:
1. New Orleans
2. Carolina
3. Tampa Bay
4. Atlanta

NFC West:
1. Seattle
2. San Fran
3. St. Louis
4. Arizona

NFC Wildcard: Philly, San Fran
NFC Champ: Dallas

AFC North:
1. Pittsburgh
2. Cincinnati
3. Baltimore
4. Cleveland

AFC East:
1. New England
2. NY Jets
3. Miami
4. Buffalo

AFC South:
1. Indy
2. Jacksonville
3. Houston
4. Tennessee

AFC West:
1. San Diego
2. Denver
3. KC
4. Oakland

AFC Wildcard: Cincy, Denver
AFC Champ: New England

Super Bowl Champ: New England

1st overall draft pick: Dallas (from Cleveland)
Toughest divisions: (1) AFC North, (2) AFC West, (3) NFC East
Weakest divisions: (1) NFC North, (2) NFC South

*Note: I picked Minnesota and Detroit 2a & 2b. I think both teams will struggle, and I'm having a tough time with picking the bottom three in this division. I'm leaning towards Minnesota finishing higher due to a better defense and offensive line, but the Vikings are really lacking at QB and receiver. I think defensives will stack the line to stop the run, forcing Tavarias Jackson to throw the ball. Minnesota will play a lot of low scoring games, while the Lions will be on the losing end of a lot of higher scoring games (Detroit's defense will be bad). Green Bay did little to improve in the offseason.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hated seeing DJ Shockley blow out his ACL (I actually saw the play live on Friday, and I didn't think he was coming back after seeing the way his leg locked up on him from running on the turf on a QB scramble) because Chris Redman is too prone in throwing off his backfoot, which has "INT" written on his passes.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Raiders acquire Broncos DE Gerald Warren for an undisclosed draft pick. This move seems strange since another Broncos DL Ekuban blew out his Achilles against Dallas.

Also Vick has now accepted a plea. I guess we'll find out how long he is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks