-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Well, I just bought a Macbook Pro...and now some questions...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 07:31 AM

Well, I made the switch Posted Image

This is my first Mac (well, not counting my iPhone, which I absolutely love!). I currently have 5 Windows machines throughout the house/garage (3 desktops, 1 laptop, and 1 HTPC).

I spent about an hour or so yesterday afternoon at the local apple store and finally walked out with a 15" MacBook Pro (Glossy) with 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB Memory, & 120GB HD. I used my Govt. discount and got it for $1839 + tax.

I also got the $99 printer (free after rebate) and also purchased 12 months of .mac for $69 (after $30 instant savings).

Been setting things up here today and so far I am quite impressed. Now, my initial question:

1) Using Windows Programs: Is it better to just buy the mac versions of software such as Microsoft Office or will my Windows copy of Office 2007 work fine if I just buy "Parallels Desktop for Mac"?

That's really all I have right now...I'm sure I'll add some additional questions here as I get things finalized on my new mac...so far...so good!

#2 of 13 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,213 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 08:23 AM

Why, Michael....welcome to the club!

Holy cow! Another convert. And a Pro to boot!

Let me tell you something...you just made the best purchase ever!

Windows Office 2007 will work very well if you get Parallels.

Any questions you have, ask away. We have a great group here.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 13 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 09:54 AM

It would work fine in parallels but you'd have to boot the virtual copy of windows any time you wanted to use it. How dependant on Office are you? iWork is pretty decent and pre loaded on your mac so you might try using that and see if you still need Office...itmay be good enough for most of what you do and for the rest boot into windows...or wait till this fall and buy the new Office for Mac...or buy a cheap copy of the Office for mac that's available now (its old and for the powerPC hardware but it works fine and can be obtained cheaply online)

#4 of 13 Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 10:22 AM

Ron, thanks for the kind welcome to the mac family! (and I just knew that you would be one of the first to reply to this thread! Posted Image ) I'm pretty sure that I'll be purchasing Parallels...most likely from amazon (unless there is a better/cheaper place?).

And I'm sure I'll get all the help I need (should any further Q's come up from the great HTF family!

Andrew, I'm VERY dependent on Office to be honest...nearly everyhting I do at work uses excel or powerpoint...and I'm also taking classes online that are very much uber-dependent on Word...so, I'm pretty much tied to it at this point. i do intend on trying the iWork as soon as I get some free time...but I doubt I'll be able to leave behind the MS Office suite anytime soon.

#5 of 13 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 12:37 PM

Michael,

I'm strongly considering jumping to Mac as well, and I am very dependent on Microsoft Office (Microsoft Publisher in particular).

I also just bought a full-install Office 2007 for Windows (just prior to giving serious consideration to Mac, of course).

Anyway, look into VMware Fusion; it's a new Windows-On-A-Mac program that, I'm told, is pretty awesome.

http://vmware.com/

#6 of 13 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,302 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 12 2007 - 03:12 PM

Michael,
I'll echo Ron and Jon in their welcomes to the "club". Here are some conflicting thoughts on Office. Posted Image

1) Ultimately it's easier, and maybe cheaper, to switch to Office Mac. You won't need to buy Windows or Parallels (or VM Ware). And it's simpler to run, as you don't need to first run Parallels or BootCamp to use Office.

However...

2) If your job depends on reading Word/Excel/PowerPoint files from others, and/or creating files for others to use, you may want to stay with Office (Windows) for guaranteed compatibility. I've read that Office Mac is not 100% file-compatible with its Windows brethren. And if your work buys your Office software, your expenses are mitigated.

3) If cost is strong driver: consider using BootCamp for Windows software work, and not buying Parallels.

With all that: BootCamp and Parallels are easy to install. It takes a few hours, but the process is straight forward. (VMWare, the competitor to Parallels, sounds just as nice. But Parallels got the early buzz with us switchers, and so gets talked about more.)

#7 of 13 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,464 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted August 12 2007 - 04:41 PM

Quote:
If cost is strong driver: consider using BootCamp for Windows software work, and not buying Parallels.
Remember, however, that if you want to run Windows on your Mac, you must purchase a new Windows license, which will almost certainly be more expensive than either Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#8 of 13 Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S
Remember, however, that if you want to run Windows on your Mac, you must purchase a new Windows license, which will almost certainly be more expensive than either Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Hmmm....you mean to tell me that I cannot use a current legal copy of Windows Vista (Premium) Upgrade?

Just want to be sure before I place my order....

#9 of 13 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D. Bunting
Hmmm....you mean to tell me that I cannot use a current legal copy of Windows Vista (Premium) Upgrade?

No, that should work, as long as you're not using it on any of your other machines. Also, what are you upgrading from? Technically it might work, while legally it might not be so clear cut.

You could try CrossOver Mac to run Office *without* needing Windows:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#10 of 13 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,213 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 09:23 PM

Only the top two Vista releases (Business and Ultimate) will work
with any sort of virtual software on Mac. Premium will not.

This is a licensing issue.

My advice?

Forget Parallels unless you really have a lot of Windows programs you
are dependent upon.

For the price of Parallels and a copy of the Business/Ultimate Vista you
can just buy Mac Office 2004 Student Edition for much less. It goes for
(I think) $99. Just order it from Amazon. They won't ask you for student ID.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 13 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 10:47 PM

Quote:
For the price of Parallels and a copy of the Business/Ultimate Vista you can just buy Mac Office 2004 Student Edition for much less.

Not a good solution for me; Microsoft Publisher, which isn't included on Mac Office, is the Office software I use most.

Jon

#12 of 13 ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted August 13 2007 - 07:09 AM

The free demo of iWork 08 is worth a look before you venture back to Microsoft. Just a thought.

#13 of 13 Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 05:36 AM

Well, I bit the bullet and just ordered the $99 (after rebate) Office 2004 for Mac from amazon. Should be here in a day or two... (thanks for the info Ron!)

I tried out the demo/trial and it seemed to have no problem with any file I threw at it or created (then trying it on my Windows PC) so I'm thinking/praying I'll be okay.

Back to Apple and Macintosh

Forum Nav Content I Follow