What's new

Cheap projector screen (1 Viewer)

Marcel_D.

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcel Dorma
Right now I'm searching for a projector and a good 16:9 screen to go with it. I really don't want to spend more than a few hundred on one but I want something that doesn't make the projected image look worse than what it really is. The maximum height for it is 76" and maximum width is 154".

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
if you want a quality screen, at a very good price with excellent performance check out Carada screens. I have the 126 16:9 Criterion in BW. Awesome screen and they even shipped to Japan for me, excellent customer service. www.carada.com You could go with the Precision screen, go even larger and still save a little coin. Check both of them out and good luck.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I am also getting a Carada, but I wouldn't call them cheap.

For cheap, try using the white melamine (?) board you can get at Home Depot. Some people just project on that, or that put a coat or two of paint on. Others just do white or silver paint on their wall. Just make sure it isn't textured. Either way, I'd put some sort of dark border on it to catch overspill. Black velvet over wood is popular.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
They arent cheap, they are quality screens @ an excellent price, some say they are better than stewart, I can say for sure though the frame of the criterion is definitely classy, and it does look better that some of the framed screens I've seen around.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You can't go cheaper than home-made. Using cheap lumber from home-depot, some black-out cloth from any fabric store and a heavy-duty staple gun, you can make yourself a fine screen for less than $50. I did and I couldn't be happier with it.
Of course, fabric only comes in a width of 54", so it wouldn't work if you need a screen height of 76". You must have an enormous room if you really want to project that large.

Marcel_D.

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcel Dorma
The fact that the rolls are only 54" in width has stopped me from attempting to make my own. I have a fair amount of room to play with, but 76" x 154" is just my maximum. A screen that large would take up almost the entire wall and that would probably make it too low to the floor. Keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio in mind I figured a screen about 66" x 117" or 134" diagonal would keep it 10" off the floor and 12" from the roof. If done properly the seams in a DIY could be hardly noticeable, but I would rather have something thats one piece.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You guys are wrong about screen material not coming wider than 54". Are you talking about blackout cloth specifically? Because I've seen it in 80" width at Walmart.com. and Rosebrand.com. Dazian.com also has numerous materials wide enough for you to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks