Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is a Pioneer HTZ-830DV worth $200?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi! I will never be an aficionado as far as these things go, but a friend of a friend of a friend is going to jail and his mom is selling all his belongings off. He has a barely used Pioneer HTZ-830DV system for $200. I'm just wondering if this is considered a good investment. I know that Pioneer is generally considered a quality name. I am also interested in learning more about this "DTS" I keep hearing about when a new DVD comes out and people complain that it doesn't have a DTS track, so I want something DTS-capable. So... anyone think I should go for it?

#2 of 4 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 12:06 PM

If $200 or so is all you're willing to spend on a complete system, go for it. If you don't like it, sell it on eBay and you would probably make a profit.

#3 of 4 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 01:04 PM

^ I figure it's a quick fix. My band is making a $9k record, so a sound system is not really in the budget right now. But I don't want to pass it up if it's a good deal.

#4 of 4 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 08 2007 - 02:11 PM

This is actually a pretty sweet deal. This system plays not only Dolby Digital and DTS, but is also SACD and DVD-Audio compatible, which means that the speakers should be halfway decent as well. It isn't going to sound as good as say, a buddy's $100 000 audiophile system, but if this is going in an apartment or a small living room, it should be more than adequate.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert