Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Robert's home theater

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 of 36 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted January 03 2009 - 07:05 AM

After much much work, the theater is done. My inspiration for it comes from Art Sonneborn and Greg Powers. Special thanks to Doug Baisey for his incredible expertise with the NEC XG135LC projector. I'm very happy with the results. Biggest thanks of all to my wife for her unflagging support and hard work in making it all come true. I'm very lucky to have her.

View from the rear with the drapes closed:

Posted Image

View from the front:

Posted Image

View of the screen:

Posted Image

View of the entrance, with my DVDs, HDDVDs, and Blu-Rays:

Posted Image

Views of the Lobby:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Views of my rack:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 of 36 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted January 03 2009 - 08:35 AM

WOW!

#23 of 36 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted January 03 2009 - 06:23 PM

RobertR, that is one nice set-up. I'm impressed.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#24 of 36 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 03:22 AM

Last Saturday I had my friends Vern Sharp, David Tolsky, and Tom Young over to check out the room. Here are a couple of pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vern brought over some demo material that showed off the full potential of the IB subwoofer. First up was the Bass Mekanik CD, which has frequency sweeps down to 1 Hz. It was fascinating to see the 8 15 inch woofers cause the room to shake at frequencies too low to hear. Next up was the Cloverfield Blu Ray. An AVS thread lists this as a tier 0 audio reference disc, and I can see why. Simply overwhelming bass power. When buildings and such are knocked down, they really sound knocked down! Next up was the Master and Commander Blu Ray. Again, the IB sub had a chance to show what it could do with the Attack scene, giving a sense of effortless room-shaking power in reproducing the cannon shots. I bought the Blu Ray the next day. Posted Image Thanks Vern, you are serious about bass! We demoed several other discs that day, and I very much enjoyed everyone's company. Tom sent me a very well written essay on how great my room is, and I thank him very much. Dave, you're one of the people who inspired me to build the room.

#25 of 36 OFFLINE   DelRay

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 04:20 AM

Great job Robert. Very nice attention to detail and it looks like all the hard work paid off. Enjoy!Posted Image

#26 of 36 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 04:37 AM

Thanks everyone!

#27 of 36 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 04:49 AM

Wow, that is an impressive theater Robert. Well done.

#28 of 36 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 11:30 AM

Great theater Robert!

I especially drool over your ribbon tweeters. I wonder if those sound like the Genesis floor-standers that were my personal "best sounding speakers ever" in 1999 when I moved out of the high-end audio world.

If you don't mind me asking (and you can PM me the answer), how much did the physical construction for your addition cost... minus equipment and furniture? Just the room itself? I'm thinking about doing an addition myself, and the basement extension could house a HT room...

dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#29 of 36 OFFLINE   Rhatphlegm

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 01:16 AM

Wow! Incredible! Amazing quality of work!

#30 of 36 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
Great theater Robert!

I especially drool over your ribbon tweeters. I wonder if those sound like the Genesis floor-standers that were my personal "best sounding speakers ever" in 1999 when I moved out of the high-end audio world.
Thanks Matt and Dave. Posted Image Funny you should mention the Genesis, Dave.....The VMPS speakers use the same ribbon drivers that were in those Genesis models. Dialogue and overall sound is extremely clear and transparent, thanks in part to the room treatment. It's a real pleasure to hear music on lossless tracks.

#31 of 36 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 07:47 AM

Here's the latest addition to the theater, a nice custom-made marquee:

Posted Image

Gives it a little more of the "real" theater feel.

#32 of 36 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 03:04 PM

Years ago, I had my CRT projector floor mounted, and was very happy with my 80" wide Da-Lite high power screen. Bright, razor sharp picture with no hot spotting. When I built my home theater, I put the projector on the ceiling, and accepted the idea that I couldn't take advantage of the gain of a High Power screen. I used a piece of Wilsonart laminate, which had gotten a lot of praise. It was cheap, so I decided why not? Well, the picture was "nice", but it never really popped, and there was noticeable hotspotting, which began to bug me more and more. I finally decided to see if the High Power would make a big difference. I taped a sample to my Wilsonart screen, and could see that it was noticeably brighter, even if I wasn't getting the full advantage of the gain. I could also see that mounting the High power wouldn't cause focus or color shift problems. I went ahead and took the plunge. I bought a Da-lite Model C screen, and cut it to fit my home-built steel frame. I attached the material to the frame with small neodymium disc magnets, which have tremendous gripping power, and allow me to get a nice, flat surface.

My reaction? WOW! It makes a HUGE difference! Even watching from the first row, which has the greatest vertical angle from the projector, the brightness level is MUCH better with the High Power. The hotspotting is GONE. Colors are wonderfully vivid, and there's a perceived increase in sharpness as well. After reading all the concerns about increased black level, I'm pleased to see that it isn't a concern. My projector has a DEEP black level (you cannot see your hand in front of your face during an all-black scene), and it doesn't appear elevated at all (I put up an all-black test pattern to verify this). The result is a big increase in contrast ratio. The brightness from the back row (which puts eye level about 8 inches below the projector) is ENORMOUS. I'm ecstatic.

#33 of 36 OFFLINE   Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 07:48 AM

WOW that looks absolutely stunning especially those IB subs.  I would love to do an infinite baffle set up but don't have the room.  Love those front speakers

#34 of 36 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 02:18 AM

Thanks Brandon :)

#35 of 36 OFFLINE   Sparks

Sparks

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 10:27 PM

It looks good Robert. I like the wall panels a lot. Very professional job. Congrats, and I hope your enjoying it as much as I am mine.

#36 of 36 OFFLINE   athurart09

athurart09

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by RobertR 

Ok, so after more than two years of permit frustration, I've finally started work on my HT. The room I'm working with was originally 15' x 20'. It was converted from a garage:

Posted Image

I decided to add a 16 foot extension to make it a 28 x 20 room, with three feet behind the far wall for an IB sub. Here's the original exterior:

http://i188.photobuc....7/DSCF0498.jpg

Framing the addition:

http://i188.photobuc....7/DSCF1667.jpg

Here's a view of the framed and insulated addition:

http://s188.photobuc....t=DSCF1676.jpg

Here's a view looking towards the entrance and equipment closet:

http://s188.photobuc....t=DSCF1677.jpg

I took my inspiration for the basic layout from Art Sonneborn's room. I really like the way he oriented his equipment closet to the entrance. After the contractor is done, a friend of mine who works in construction will help me with double drywalling the walls with GG, building the risers, etc. My plan is for three rows of three chairs.

Since I had to wait so long for the building permit, I had lots of time to lay out everything in Autocad. Here's a rendering I did:

http://s188.photobuc....snoambient.jpg

I've spent years marveling at the amazing theaters many of you have built. The quality and quantity of information available on this sort of thing is truly remarkable, and I look forward to the day when I can enjoy what many of you have worked so hard to make come true.

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!