What's new

*** Official HTF HD Formats Comparison Thread *See Post 957, p. 32* (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This is the Official HTF HD Formats Comparison Thread.

Want to discuss Nielsen numbers? Talk about the different bitspace/bandwidth of the HD-formats? Audio codecs that are or aren't mandatory? Discuss BD+? Tell us why one format should rule them all? Or why two formats should go on competing with each other? Do it here.

But nowhere else!

All HTF Rules still apply.

HTF Staff

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I "borrowed" this from another site:

I'll try to update weekly

MarekM

Supporting Actor
with much much bigger volume of 300 :) we will see new movement in SI and YTD data probably 68:32 for YTD and 61:39 for SI

Marek

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Now that is a major accomplishment. HD and BD combined sales finally out sold the nearly dead VHS format.:D Heck, I didn't even know anyone was releasing anything other than 1.99 titles in VHS.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

My original thread had: :P

Do they still release films in VHS btw? At least in Europe, I doubt it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

So nearly twice as many units that moved were Blu Ray in spite of the fact that there is an added bonus feature on the HD-DVD. This combined with reports of sell outs and under-ordering of the title at many outlets, I'd say that this is a significant win in the Blu column.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
John, I guess we could take the other stance to. There is no difference in the percentages of this release vrs. the overall percentages even though the HD DVD is the much 'trashed' Combo format and costs 5.00 more then the BD disk.

BTW, I will wait for the real numbers to be posted before jumping to any conclusions. From the studios perspective, the only one that really counts for this title, it is a win for dual format releases. And with over 100k HD units sold, the profit loss for the remaining exclusive studios is going to make remaining exclusive that much more difficult.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
65/35 is around what most expected for its first week. I'm actually more interested in seeing where the ratio is for 300 at the end of the year.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

Another reason why I'd like to see how subsequent weeks hold between the two formats. BD software tends to hold much better, enough that their exclusive studios probably still won't care about going nuetral.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

well there are several other exclusive titles with much bigger chance to exlipse this amazing numbers wich 300 did

the only other possible winner in Q4 will be TRANSFORMERS, that one can be overaall winner :)

Marek

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I'm just waiting for someone to post...
Not much news since High Def is only 2% of the market share....;)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Just doing some quick Math:

Based on 65/35 split, that is 163K units for Bd and 87K unit for HD DVD

So with 3,000,000 plus BD players in the market, BD managed to sell to 5.4% of their installed base.

With 500-600K HD players in the market (this includes x-box add ons) HD managed to sell to about 14.5% of their installed base.

I think that is a pretty attractive sell through rate for the HD camp and shows a lot of customer loyalty to the HD DVD product.

Of course, Warner really only cares about units sold so maybe the comparison isn't meaningful for them but I would think Toshiba is pretty happy with that number.

Dave

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

How many HD DVD enthusiasts (percentage) don't like the combo format? Does that describe most "enthusiasts" here who view it as paying more for something they don't want (the DVD)? I get how a "walmart" shopper might like the idea of a combo... especially if they don't yet have an HD player. But for someone who already does have the HD player, it seems redundant (to me).

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I wonder where did you get those numbers for players...

there are around 2mil BD players (PS+standalone), and there are around 450,000 HD-DVD players around (including addon)

so check your math again..

Marek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks