A few random thoughts from the old timer (who loves and endorses both formats in theory and with his pocketbook):
- A lot of interesting comments here and a couple of eye-openers as well. Of course, this is the spot (or more correctly one of two spots) that we have designated to allow for some "Smackdowns" and "Upside Your Face With Smitties." And I can't help but notice that all the other threads have benefited greatly from this new policy. People are actually talking HT rather than their favorite "color."
- I've seen that some of the usual suspects are claiming that the HTF has shut down all discussions of the format wars. As usual, these people obviously don't read the announcements or choose to ignore the fact that we have set up specific areas where you can express your views in a civil manner. Telling it like it isn't on other Internet venues doesn't enhance a person's credibility. Especially when anyone is free to come to the HTF (even banned members!) and see what the true situation is.
- I've read over Hartwig Hanser's remarks after his original "Ben Williams was right" comment and after his further clarification of the situation his words don't rile me as much as when he first wrote them. Let's just say that any person who states in an open forum that Graffeo was "driven from the room" by the tough audience at EMA (when the video clearly shows that he had announced 45 minutes earlier that he had to leave to catch a flight) clearly has misrepresented reality. I was there and I can attest to the fact that this was a blatant lie. There's a lot more to Williams' banishment from this forum than just some simple comments that were misinterpreted. Believe me, if you are a friend of Williams you don't want to pursue this. (I wouldn't have even mentioned this if it didn't come to the surface in this thread). 'Nuff said on that.
- This "missing section of tape" is laughable at best - along with all the conspiracy theorists. Let's see: Ron + Williams = Rosemary + Woods. Hmmm... There's got to be a connection here! It's plain as day. Check the room at The Venetian for any grassy knolls! Seriously, Ron has explained his actions while taping. I was sitting right there no more than 10 feet away from him. He was concentrating on trying to provide as much coverage as possible with his camera and I'm certain that he wasn't even paying attention to the actual words being said (other than looking for a good time to switch to the body tripod). He didn't have a cadre of "HD-DVD advisors" keeping track of what was said and telling him when to film and when not to in this free form forum. No conspiracy here. Give me a break.
- Finally - I, too, am amazed at how some otherwise reasonable (or so I thought) people can get so passionate about formats - to the point of absurdity. This is about competing HD formats, not about World Peace. There is a fine line between fervent and fanatical. It's one thing to express a preference and quite another to go bananas whenever someone disagrees with you. It's affecting a lot of forums on the Internet and has polluted many of them beyond the point of being reasonable by any stretch of the imagination. A core group of people have actually become laughing stocks by their continuous, monotonous actions and many of them are probably not even aware that they have lost credibility in the eyes of many members. I have to say that many of them act more childish than my grandkids. Time to stop eating so many things with sugar in it!
I can't wait to see what floats to the surface next!