Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Volume 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,525 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 04:22 AM

THE OSCAR-WINNING, ANIMATED CAT AND MOUSE DUO
TOM AND JERRY, RETURNS TO DVD
WITH THE RELEASE OF
TOM AND JERRY SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION VOL. 3
SEPTEMBER 11, 2007
FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

Two-Disc Set Features 35 Classic Cartoons,
15 of which have been Re-mastered
in Their Original CinemaScope Widescreen Format

DVD To Include Bonus Material

BURBANK, CA (August 7, 2007) – The most popular and beloved cat and mouse act returns to DVD with Warner Home Video’s (WHV) release of Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 3 on September 11, 2007. The highly-anticipated third and final volume of the Spotlight Collection from the Hanna-Barbera era will feature a total of 35 classic cartoons, 15 of which have been re-mastered in their original CinemaScope Widescreen formats. The two-disc set will retail for $26.99 SRP.

The never-ending chase between Tom and Jerry continues in Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol . 3. Several memorable shorts are showcased in this exciting volume. Shorts include Love That Pup, where Jerry is protected from Tom by menacing bulldog Butch. Neapolitan Mouse, where the duo travel all the way to Italy and meet Topo, an Italian mouse who gives the two a tour of Naples. Robin Hoodwinked where Jerry and Tuffy head to Sherwood Forest to help Robin Hood escape from the Sheriff’s jail. Little Runaway has Jerry discover a baby seal who’s runaway from the circus. While all sorts of bad things happen to Tom in Tennis Chumps, where his racket catches fire, he’s tangled in the net and swallows a bunch of tennis balls before he looses the match to Jerry, who wins a trophy. That’s My Mommy has Tom end up as a surrogate mom to a baby duck but not before attempting to eat the duckling several times. Volume 3 is comprised of many more endearing and delightful shorts, which will entertain viewers for hours.

From Tom and Jerry’s appearance in the Academy Award nominated short Puss Gets the Boot to their latest television series Tom and Jerry Tales, the legacy of the cat and mouse team continues to capture new audiences to this day. Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 3 is the last volume of shorts from legendary animators William Hanna and Joseph Barbera.

“Tom and Jerry, is one of the most ingenious cartoon series ever created because of the unique way music and sound are used to convey communication between the two characters, both of whom never speak. This characteristic enabled the cartoon to gain popularity across the globe with generations of audiences who love the series to this day,” said Dorinda Marticorena, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Sports Marketing. She added, “We are certain that both fans of great television as well as seasoned animation aficionados will embrace this delightful title as part of their DVD libraries.”

The first two volumes of Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection sold hundreds of thousands of units to date. Tom and Jerry classic shorts as well as made for video cartoons currently air on the Cartoon Network while Tom and Jerry Tales can presently be seen on the Kids WB block which is broadcast Saturday mornings on the CW.

DVD Bonus Special Features Include:

³ Cat and Mouse: The Tale of Tom and Jerry – The history of one of animation’s greatest teams – from early days to censorship controversies to award-winning glory.

³ The Karate Guard – The theatrical short released in 2005 that marked Joe Barbera’s first return as a writer, director and story board artist on the series since his and Hanna’s original cartoon shorts. This also was the last Tom and Jerry short Barbera worked on.

The Credits

Warner Bros. Animation has been producing award-winning original animation since 1930, when it released its first cartoon, “Sinkin' in the Bathtub.” Since then, Warner Bros. Animation’s characters have set the standard for innovative, quality animation. Producing for network and cable television, online, home entertainment and feature films both domestically and internationally, Warner Bros. Animation is highly respected for its creative and technical excellence, as well as maintaining the studio’s rich cartoon heritage. Warner Bros. Animation also oversees the creative use of, and production of animated programming based on classic animated characters from the Hanna-Barbera and DC Comics libraries. Warner Bros. Animation is one of the most honored animation studios in history, garnering a grand total of six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, a Humanitas Award, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).

With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

For more information on this and other titles distributed by Warner Home Video, visit www.whvdirect.com.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 07 2007 - 04:42 AM

OK dont have my check off guide close, but this should finish the HB theatrical shorts, of course they could be nice and include Texas Tom as a bonus, LOL, one this is done, here is hope that WB will either put out a Barney Bear/Screwy Squirrel set, or a Tex Avery set. what a great year for classic animation on DVD
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 10:44 AM

Why are "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat" being left off this final volume?

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=7809

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 12:49 PM

I imagine "Mouse Cleaning" is being left off because of Tom imitating Stepin Fetchit, who, although was a very funny actor, some people find him offensive because his character was unfortunately stereotyped http://www.bcdb.com/...._Cleaning.html

"Casanova Cat" has a blackface routine also...
http://www.bcdb.com/....anova_Cat.html

But at least we got 2 copies of "Texas Tom"!

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 12:53 PM

When will WHV produce proper sets with transfers that don't look like utter crap, do not feature edited content and revisionist audio tracks, actually include worthwhile extras and insightful commentary from people that are not actors on Mad TV, and collected in an organized and chronological fashion? Why is it that we we've been asking for this for 4 years now (after it was initially promised to us) and yet they still will not concede?? After the CLEAR success of recent and thoughtfully packaged golden age cartoon collections (which we all KNEW were quite viable and have requested for ages) - Why does WHV remain so stubborn in this instance? These are among the GREATEST animated short films to come out of the 1940's Hollywood studios and yet they are treated like second-rate kiddie fodder. The transfers are abysmal, they are riddled with DVNR, some shorts are interlaced, the bonus content is laughable and utterly useless next to the same recycled film segment with Fred Astaire. They are thoughtlessly compiled and in my opinion, overpriced for what they offer. And WHV's replacement discs that they promised in regards to the censorship issues which should never have existed in the first place, are completely useless as they are improperly flagged and all the cartoons are interlaced and the picture is just about unwatchable! This is the very reason the studio had proposed to set up an exchange program for the Looney Tunes sets int he first place... and yet this is what they deliver for disc replacements?? What a joke! The bottom line is that these DVD sets are rubbish and even those who've been referred to and acted as consultant on them will and have attested this much. I want to know if and when we will finally get a proper release of the MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons on DVD? I wouldn't pay five cents for any future volumes of these crappy Spotlight Collections!

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 01:07 PM

Although, someone pointed out elsewhere that the trailer for this set ( http://www.totalecli....&affliateid=-1 ) has clips from "Mouse Cleaning"!

#7 of 55 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,675 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 08 2007 - 03:32 PM

The other volumes have black face jokes. There's plenty of racist jokes that are intact on other WB DVDs. Why would (or is) Warners chicken out here?

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 09:36 PM

Superb post, MarcoBiscotti.
...says it all. As I've said elsewhere on this forum, Warner should wrest these films away from the careless, clueless hands of its Family Division and pass them over to George Feltenstein's team, the people who gave us the Looney Tunes and Popeye sets -- you know, the cartoon collections people LIKE. If a complete chronological set is deemed unviable, Warner could take a leaf out of Universal's book (yes, you read correctly) and issue a series of Tom and Jerry and Friends sets, along the lines of last month's highly successful Woody Woodpecker and Friends: three discs of remastered T&J shorts, in chronological order, with a selection of remastered Happy Harmonies, Barney Bear and one-shot cartoons to accompany them. Talk to Jerry Beck; he'll know what to do. So simple, and yet we have this pathetic offering from the Family Division, who think these classic films are children's TV shows and that their audience don't have the sense to put ethnic stereotypes in historical perspective or the taste to expect decent transfers and intelligent extras. I fear for the Tex Avery set when it finally comes out.

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 10:32 PM

Absolutely impossible my friend. Only an absolute brainless monkey could suggest that, given that these cartoons are probably tracking right behind the classic Warner Bros. (Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies) shorts in terms of popularity and familiarity. It's just a case of WHV being stubborn and continuing to neglect these properties, despite their initial PROMISE to deliver the exact opposite of what we've been given. These films are in horrible shape and these DVD sets are akin to any cheapo public domain cartoon set in terms of the restoration and cleanup that they haven't undergone, thought, organization and features. Not to mention the edited audio tracks which as far as I'm concerned, still have not been properly addresses with the useless replacement discs I've received. These collections are not suitable for anything but the garbage bin.

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted August 09 2007 - 04:26 AM

That's a gross exaggeration. I, for one, am looking forward at least to seeing all those Cinemascope shorts in their correct ratio at last.

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 04:57 AM

That's all it's worth buying for, though. TBH I bought the recent Droopy set purely for the Cinemascope cartoons. The rest of the set was the usual unrestored, DVNR-corrupted mess. I'll be giving this one (like the previous T&J set) a very wide berth.

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 05:03 AM

As good as the rest of Warner is, the Family Division has proven itself woefully inept. Time for a good housecleaning.

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 09 2007 - 06:17 AM

I know for a fact that i have given some leeway in this matter, but now we have 2 missing cartoons, and the possibility of not getting another set afterwards, this is a problem, i do have to agree that if they would have taken the time to do these sets like Universal did Woody ( and Yes the did a good job and got it right!) i would be happier, the problem is it is being done by the family division/TV instead of where it should be. i know that i have stated this before, what they need is a "MGM Golden Age Of Animation Collection" all Tom and Jerry, theatricals in chronological order, dont say its impossible, they own it; unlike with the Popeye's, who they have an arrangement with Barney Bear, Screwy Squirrels, Tex Avery one shots, Droopys all in one collection, done by the film division, with the same respect that they treat their own animation. With Bonus Feature that represent what was going on in reference to the Toons themselves. Supplements for adults if they would just let us know that the set would be out that way but would take a year fine. i would rather have it right than quick!
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 06:34 AM

I have to echo most of the sentiments from above. Why can't WB handle these shorts properly? These toons are every bit as important if not moreso than the Looney Tunes, yet they are treated worse than almost anything in their entire cannon. WB goes out of their way to obtain Popeye and make masterful sets (I am not complaining about this in anyway), but they already had a treasure trove of great animation right under their fingertips. Why do they refuse to let these cartoons be handled by the film division? Certainly, nobody can look at these as being different than Looney Tunes or Popeye - can they? I for one, will not be buying this set and am once again glad that I did not sell off my LDs. Absolutely ridiculous!

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 09 2007 - 07:19 AM

I'd love to see the chronological MGM sets since it would mean there's no immediate double-dip on Tom & Jerry or Droopy. We get new-to-DVD cartoons right off and there will always be a mix of different series. With the exception of Droopy and Goofy, most character-centered sets are too monotonous. This is why I'm glad the Looney Tunes sets are a mixed bag and Universal's Woody Woodpecker set had a lot from other series.

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 10:36 AM

I just want the damn Tom & Jerry films done right and treated with a little respect. Surely the fans who were promised this much three/four years ago by Warner Bros. are entitled to such a request. These sets are junk and thoughtlessly thrown together without any attempt to clean up the shorts or entice buyers with any worthwhile extras deserving of such classic material. It's a damn shame and as I've mentioned already - the replacement discs that Warners sent out last year were the final slap in the face. I tossed them right into the garbage after viewing the interlaced mess of lines that appeared on my projection screen. The bottom line is that Warner Bros. is completely mishandling and mismanaging this franchise and I don't care what division they fall under - that's no excuse for throwing out poor quality products and expecting that to justify their lack of effort! "well it's not meant for YOU... it's meant for families and children" That's enough reason for everyone on this forum to go out of their way to NOT buy and support these releases. It's a completely shameful display imo. And I don't think I'm overreacting because of this was Casblanca or any other renowned Hollywood film of the classic studio era, you'd have Robert Harris and every other HTF mod and people with pull posting in these threads and demanding answers. But since they are cartoons, it's up to the same few of us here who feel passionately about the medium to continually voice our opinions and have them be ignored by WHV.

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 12:55 PM

Can I ask, how is it known that this third volume will be censored, other than two films that might be missing. How do we know it will be riddled with DVNR (Which I'm not sure what it is since I don't have the highest end equipment as of now)
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 01:20 PM

I never said it will be censored. I don't care about this third volume one way or the other. I wouldn't spend a dime on it. My beef is with the entire way they've handled the series... They promised us complete and chronological, uncut & remastered sets. The sets (according to this latest p.r.) are not complete. They are anything but chronological. Apart from a couple of Cinemascope shirts, not a single one of the cartoons has been remastered. They just sourced the same old subpar DVNR'd transfers that have been broadcast on Cartoon Network for the past many years. Nor were they uncut. The first two volumes were heavily edited. They substituted many of the original soundtracks for dubbed audio versions and a few cartoons were indeed cut & edited in places. Than as if it made up for the crappy way they've released these films, WHV promised replacement discs (only after a year and a half of ignoring our complaints and pretending the problems didn't exist). What did they send us? Uncut cartoons... in even worse shape than anything originally included! Everything on the revised discs are incorrectly flagged and the cartoons are wholly unwatchable as any onscreen motion causes line breakup and interlacing errors to register. It's a complete mess. To top it off, WHV promised (but has yet to make good on their word) to replace a similar disc in the 2nd volume of the LTGC. Why? Because of the exact same mastering issues that affect their T&J replacement discs! How stupid can you really get??? Some of the cartoons in the LT set were interlaced and looked terrible in playback. But NOTHING compared to the T&J replacements!!! So THIS is what they send us to "fix" their initial errors! As if these sets weren't a shot of mud in the fan's eyes to begin with! If these issues happen once, or even twice, it can be addressed and forgiven if properly dealt with. But this is an issue that's repeated time and time again. It's becoming a convention with WHV and they have shown absolutely no regard or concern for their customers and adult fans of these animated films. The MGM Tom & Jerry films ARE the Citizen Kane of 1940's cartoon studio shorts. And WHV has not only exercised the absolute worst quality control of any company I've ever had the displeasure to witness, but absolute disrespect for it's consumers and their handling of the entire film series and release from the get go to their poor and ultimately failed attempts at reconciling the issues at hand, were not only less than satisfactory but insulting, deceitful and irreverent as well!

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 01:34 PM

And you might as well save your money and watch them on TV because, save for a select few shorts, they are the exact same decade old transfers that you'll find broadcast as featured on these thoughtless DVD sets.

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,217 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted August 09 2007 - 03:22 PM

I doubt those 200,000+ who bought them even know they're edited and I doubt many of them have a problem with the picture quality. With that in mind, I'd say it's a very small group who has any issue with them.