Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Canon G3 DIY repair advice..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 07 2007 - 02:35 AM

I have a Canon powershot G3 that has seen a lot of use. For a long time, the shutter button sticks in the down mode because it gets caught somehow with the zoom in/out ring so that the camera is almost always in the focus mode. This affects working with the menu, using the camera review and of course, trying to zoom in/out when the camera is in record mode.

I don't think it's worth it to send to canon to pay more than the camera is probably worth to fix so I'm looking at perhaps opening the body to take a look see. I'm pretty handy with hacking apart gadgets, I've taken apart my Garmin etrex Vista to fix a few things and I'm pretty handy hacking into various tools and stuff. Just looking to see if anybody's done this and not to reinvent the wheel here. I'm going to spray the sucka with some compressed air and perhaps some contact spray to see if I can unjam the shutter button. It's been like that for quite some time, but I've just lived with it, now it's getting worse.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life