What's new

Onkyo 805 or? (1 Viewer)

servant386

Grip
Real Name
steve
I just bought Paradigm 90P`s and also bought Energy Audyssey A5+2`s. Dont know which I will use yet . Have a Bic Venturi 15" sub and (at present ) have Bic Venturi Cinema rears and now am ready to buy a receiver. I am leaning towards the Onkyo 805 because of it`s price (900.00 ish) and because it has 130 watts per channel , true HD, 1.3 HDMI , Audessey speaker set-up , and almost all of the regular receiver options . I havent heard about any problems with them yet .Is this a good choice ?

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
i haven't read a review on the 805 yet, but i'm sure it is undoubtedly at least as capable as the 605 which is being heralded as the an all-around-superstar for the money in every piece of press i've scanned. i believe c-net was the latest and it fawned over it.

Personally, I've e always liked onkyo receivers sound and build quality.

good luck.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Some other things I like about the 805 is, according to the manual, it has separate bass/treble controls for the fronts, center and surrounds. On some other brands they only work on the fronts. And the 805 uses Burr-Brown DACS. Apparently lesser Onkyo's do not. Also, the bass/treble controls on Onkyo's work thru the analog inputs for SACD/DVD-A. Not crazy about the new design but if it performs as advertised I could certainly live with it. Some members have also reported heat issues associated with the 605 but I haven't read anything on the 805 about it.

chris l.

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne L
I thought my onkyo 805 sounded beautifully. Great clearity although a bit stretched on the low frequencies.

servant386

Grip
Real Name
steve
Thanks . I`m leaning further towards this receiver now . I too read about the heat problems with them but also read it is controlable . Had to look up what a dac was and Burr Brown too before respnding . LOL

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I installed one at a clients home last weekend and have owned the 704 since last year and they're excellent receivers. I'm planning on upgrading to the 805 soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks