-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Rifleman on DVD...why no season sets?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 of 74 MarkDukes

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted August 05 2007 - 09:06 AM

Can anyone provide information as to why there are no season sets of THE RIFLEMAN available?

Are there any suggestions as to which DVD releases are the best to pick up for this series? Is the best outlet for those releases Amazon?

#2 of 74 Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted August 05 2007 - 09:40 AM

I've been asking this for the longest time myself. And no one seems to have an answer.

#3 of 74 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 05 2007 - 10:24 AM

Mark,

After I read your post I checked several online stores for the MPI Box Sets. I was surprised that most are unavailable. DDD, Amazon, Laser's Edge, and DVD Empire all have a couple available but one store says that they're "discontinued by the Studio". I have all 6 of the MPI Box Sets. If I recall from a resident Rifleman expert here, those contain all but 60 of the series episodes. I think I remember something mentioned about possible full season sets rumored to be coming someday but as far as I know it's just a rumor for now.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#4 of 74 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,411 posts

Posted August 05 2007 - 11:48 AM

I thought I had read on one of these boards that MPI's license for The Rifleman had expired and that is why they are out of print.

#5 of 74 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted August 06 2007 - 12:06 AM

I was netflixing them due to non season sets but netflix never received the 6th set. I would buy season sets if released as this is one of my Favorite westerns of that era. Perhaps BCI could pick up the license, might be worth an email to them, they did a great job with WDOA. I've got to believe there is a small but dedicated following for these shows. I mean they got stripped nightly on Encore Westerns someone's gotta be watching
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#6 of 74 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted August 06 2007 - 01:46 AM

Quote:
I think I remember something mentioned about possible full season sets rumored to be coming someday but as far as I know it's just a rumor for now.

A good news source for all things "Rifleman" including DVD news is riflemanconnors.com. It was there that I learned that Arnold Laven, one of the original producers is making an earnest attempt to get the remaining 48 episodes released. I would prefer that the episodes get remastered, released season by season with the appropriate opening shots/titles for each season. (The aforementioned website depicts the 4 different openings used in the series run). For such a well remembered tv western series, "The Rifleman" really hasn't been treated with the respect it deserves when it comes to being released to DVD. But then, what B&W era western has?

It is true that once MPI's license expired, the 6 sets were discontinued. Also, in response Mark's original post, although the episodes are scattered all over the place on the 6 sets, the earlier sets tend to favor the first two seasons which are generally the tighter scripted, superior episodes. Between all the sets, the first 98 episodes (S1-2 and the first half of S3) are represented at least, with large gaps appearing in S4-5 especially.

#7 of 74 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 06 2007 - 02:24 AM

Miike, thanks for the info. As you guessed, you're the "resident Rifleman expert" I was referring to Posted Image I guess I was in the ballpark about the remaining eps excluded from the MPI sets.

Dave, I agree about this series. There's a fanbase out there for this one. The only dilema for me, if this one's released properly, is the old "double-dip" question since I have all of the MPI sets. But if they come out remastered similar to the awesome 50's/60's sets that I've been watching lately, then it's a done deal for me. The main problem that I've had with the MPI sets is the audio, to me, is hard to hear in a lot of the eps in these sets.

#8 of 74 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted August 06 2007 - 02:53 AM

Quote:
The only dilema for me, if this one's released properly, is the old "double-dip" question since I have all of the MPI sets. But if they come out remastered similar to the awesome 50's/60's sets that I've been watching lately, then it's a done deal for me. The main problem that I've had with the MPI sets is the audio, to me, is hard to hear in a lot of the eps in these sets.

Jeff, I agree with you there on the "double dip" issue, especially in light of the fact that these darned sets never seemed to go on sale--they were always priced at or near $2.00 an episode ($36.00 to $42.00 per set). But I'm such a fan of the show that if it was accorded the TLC treatment, I guess I'd unload on ebay and buy again. And you're right about the "muffled sound", this is particularly a problem for me with sets 3 and 4.

#9 of 74 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 09:04 AM

I'd love to see season sets of this; it has a special place in my heart since I was named after the character of the kid on it. As my mom says, "He was such a nice little boy." I'd buy 'em for sure.

#10 of 74 Cowgirl

Cowgirl

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hi everybody, I'm riflemanconnors.com/gifs/cowgirl.gif from riflemanconnors.com.

First I'd like to thank michael ks for the plug to The McCain Ranch.

I do have a lot of information posted in the newsletter & throught the website on The Rifleman DVD's.

Arnold Laven, one of the producers of The Rifleman has told me that they have not renewed their contract with MPI to do any further episodes/DVD's of The Rifleman and that they were looking into other options.

The other options are per Arther Gardner; another producer of The Rifleman is that they have been working on bringing out all 168 episodes of The Rifleman in a special 50th anniversary edition. Which the release date has not been set. But I have been checking on this & will post it in my newsletter as soon as I hear this.

As of to date the producers have not renewed their contract with Encore for The Rifleman to continuing airing on The Western Channel as of November 30th. That probably is because of The Rifleman coming out on DVD.

I also agree with michael ks on - "The Rifleman" really hasn't been treated with the respect it deserves when it comes to being released to DVD. But then, what B&W era western has? I for one would love to see more of those great classic westerns!

I also have a Buyer Beware section on the ranch so you know what to buy and not to buy.

Feel free to stop by the ranch anytime and be sure to stop by and say "howdy" to riflemanconnors.com/gifs/cowgirl.gif, that's me Margie!

Catch ya' later!
riflemanconnors.com/gifs/cowgirl.gif

#11 of 74 Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 18 2008 - 11:06 AM

Cowgirl, thanks for moseying on by with the info!

#12 of 74 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 01:35 PM

Margie, welcome to HTF and thanks for the info!

Question for you: Do the full versions of all episodes still exist and, if so, what is the liklihood that the proposed future release will contain the full episodes? (Edited to remove incorrect assumpion in question)

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#13 of 74 Charles Thaxton

Charles Thaxton

Stunt Coordinator

• 90 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 02:16 PM

I'd be interested if Mr. Laven or Gardner knew the whereabouts of the music recordings for the series. I would LOVE a RIFLEMAN CD with all of Gilbert's cues.

#14 of 74 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,119 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Thaxton
I'd be interested if Mr. Laven or Gardner knew the whereabouts of the music recordings for the series. I would LOVE a RIFLEMAN CD with all of Gilbert's cues.
Yes, that would be wonderful. That music is so very dark, and at times, ominous. I remember reading that Herschel Burke Gilbert recorded much of the music in Munich, Germany. (Sorry for the morbid subject terms in the link; the information is useful and informative, however.)

FMS: Feature ["Rifleman" Composer Herschel Burke Gilbert Dead at 85]

BTW, I wrote to MPI a year or so ago regarding the season sets. Oddly, I received no reply. (I say oddly, because whenever I have written to them about anything concerning Dark Shadows, I have received a prompt reply.)

#15 of 74 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted June 19 2008 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
First I'd like to thank michael ks for the plug to The McCain Ranch.

You're very welcome, Margie and welcome to the htf forum. I'm glad to return a favor as you had so graciously sent my son a Birthday card featuring a shot of Lucas and Mark. I'll never forget the look of genuine surprise on my 7 year old's face when he received it in the mail! (We've traded a few blurbs on airline travel and especially the D-FW airport, remember?)

Thanks too, for sharing information regarding a possible 50th anniversary complete series set. How I'd love to see that, especially with some bonus material on the shows producers, behind the scenes, bios of Mr. Connors and Johnny Crawford. And a CD of Gilbert's score to "The Rifleman" that Charles mentioned would make for a nice touch indeed!

#16 of 74 Charles Thaxton

Charles Thaxton

Stunt Coordinator

• 90 posts

Posted June 19 2008 - 01:48 AM

I picked up quite a few of the DVDs at Half Price Books in Columbus OH a while back...if you have used DVD places in your area try haunting them regularly for RIFLEMAN DVDs.

#17 of 74 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 19 2008 - 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
Margie, welcome to HTF and thanks for the info!

Question for you: If memory serves the previously released episodes were edited syndicated versions...do the full versions still exists and, if so, what is the liklihood that the proposed future release will contain the full episodes?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

The episodes on Encore run slightly more than 25 minutes, so I think they are complete. I started putting them on DVD-r lately, so it makes sense they will come out officially soon. And I too, would love to have the proper opening credits attached to the proper seasons.

They look pretty good, but I wonder if the cost of doing all new film to digital transfers would be financially in the cards. Wouldn't a bluray release with quality comparable to the T-Zone be nice?

And there are enough actors, producers, etc. still living that could really make for some nice extras. It has become one of my favorite vintage series.

#18 of 74 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 19 2008 - 02:03 AM

Margie,

Another "howdy" from Dallas Posted Image Great to have you at HTF. As Michael knows, I'm also a big Rifleman fan. Do you happen to know if there's a complete series set in the works, would the series be remastered or would the MPI Box Set prints get ported over for the Complete Set? I have all of the MPI sets but I have trouble hearing the dialogs with the audio on the DVD's. The video transfers, imo, are ok but I'm hoping for a re-mastered set someday.

I met Johnny Crawford years ago in Ardmore, Oklahoma at a local hotel in town. Mom and I had stopped for lunch at the hotel and Johnny C was at a nearby table. He was in town for a rodeo show and was sitting with some of the other rodeo performers. I kept telling Mom "That's Mark from the Rifleman!". She didn't believe me but finally allowed me to go over and say "Hello" to the guy she was certain wasn't "Mark" Posted Image Well, coming from a kid that never missed the Rifleman, I was right. I got Johnny's autograph that day.

Welcome back from the trip, Mike!

#19 of 74 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,119 posts

Posted June 19 2008 - 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Do you happen to know if there's a complete series set in the works, would the series be remastered or would the MPI Box Set prints get ported over for the Complete Set? I have all of the MPI sets but I have trouble hearing the dialogs with the audio on the DVD's. The video transfers, imo, are ok but I'm hoping for a re-mastered set someday.
Amen to that. I too own much of the series (on DVD and VHS); however, I would love to see a single-sided remastered series. I have read a few reviews that talk of discs freezing up on the DVD sets currently available. I think I am going to write to MPI again this week or next to see what's up from their vantage point.

Quote:
I met Johnny Crawford years ago in Ardmore, Oklahoma at a local hotel in town. Mom and I had stopped for lunch at the hotel and Johnny C was at a nearby table. He was in town for a rodeo show and was sitting with some of the other rodeo performers. I kept telling Mom "That's Mark from the Rifleman!". She didn't believe me but finally allowed me to go over and say "Hello" to the guy she was certain wasn't "Mark" Posted Image Well, coming from a kid that never missed the Rifleman, I was right. I got Johnny's autograph that day.
That's such a neat story! It must have been a blast seeing him that day. Posted Image

I have some film clips/stills of Chuck Connors playing for the Celtics. They were part of some special I taped during (I think) the time of his passing.

The Rifleman will forever remain my favorite western television series, and that's saying a lot given how many of them are out there and are quite good. Posted Image

#20 of 74 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 19 2008 - 04:04 AM

This post reminds me of what value Encore Westerns has been for classic TV up to this point, with their runs of Rifleman, Big Valley, Bat Masterson and Gene Autry. Give my right arm for season DVDs of all of the above, frankly!
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow