What's new

O Lucky Man in October 07? (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I can't find the thread for this, but can someone tip me off as to wether this has finally been annouced... dates and specs??? Much appreciated!

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

It was mentioned in the last post of this thread that it is up for pre-order at DVD Empire as is due on October 23. They have the front and rear cover art, which shows that the supplements will include:

* Commentary by Malcolm McDowell, Alan Price, and screenwriter David Sharwin

* New Feature-Length Career Profile, O Lucky Malcolm! (also on the new Clockwork Orange disc)

* Vintage Featurette: O Lucky Man! Innovations in Entertainment

* Theatrical Trailer

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This art shows a 178 minute run time, which is about 12 minutes longer than the US theatrical release, but short of the original 192 minutes. The pricing is right though.

October is shaping up to be a McDowell/Mirren month with Caligula getting a reissue.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
is the 192 minutes what was widely perceived at the time as the X rated version in the UK?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
About frickkin' time!! I have been waiting for this FOREVER!!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It was the Cannes cut I was refering to (based on info from IMDB). So this X rated cut is still longer than what we are getting - anyone know what we are still missing - not that it really matters as I'll be getting this regardless.

Anyone know off hand how long the LD version ran?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Why are reviews needed?

Warners are usually on the ball with these type of releases... I've had mine pre-ordered with DigitalEyes for some time now and I believe it shipped earlier this week.

Should be a fine release.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

Sometimes its nice to read about a release before buying it. Sheesh.

I've been waiting for this for 10 years and I'd love to know how to picture quality is. Guess I'll find out on Tuesday. Thanks a lot for the help.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
It looks INCREDIBLE. Beautiful, colorful, nearly flawless anamorphic transfer and the mono soundtrack ROCKS. Lots of deep bass in the musical numbers, but not muddy sounding. The movie is spread over two discs. The disc change occurs during the scene with Alan Price's band on the bus, right after Helen Mirren's seduction of Mick and picks up on disc two with Mick waking up as the sun rises. The formerly deleted scene featuring the suicidal housewife and Alan Price singing "My Hometown" has been restored.
Extras on disc one are the film's trailer (anamorphic) and the vintage featurette "O Lucky Man! Innovations in Entertainment" (a making of from the time of the film's release) which is presented in its original aspect of 1.33:1. Both trailer and featurette show a little wear, but both look quite incredible considering their age.
Disc two contains the new documentary "O Lucky Malcolm!" which I understand also appears on the new Clockwork Orange discs.
Both discs contain commentary by Malcolm McDowell, Alan Price, and screenwriter David Sharwin (which I have yet to listen to).
I cannot recommend this highly enough. Warner Brothers continues to amaze. For a rather obscure cult film like this to be treated this beautifully and with so many extras, it shows that George Feltenstein and crew deserve much needed respect. And for only $14.99? It's absolutely a no-brainer. Buy this film, share it with friends and you'll be a lucky man.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
It is astounding how little press this release has received. None of the big DVD news sites carried any mention of it and none of the popular review sites have touched it.

As Mr. Newton says, this set is fantastic.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I concur. It looks and sounds fantastic. O Lucky Malcolm, on the other hand, is kind of spotty-- it goes into depth on a couple of his movies, but overlooks way too many for the good overview it needs to be.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
My Amazon shipment is due to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to revisit this wonderful film tomorrow night! The last time I saw it was in the '70s when HBO aired it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Mine is in transit. Kind of disappointing about the disc switch (which I thought was going to be the advantage over the LD), but I guess it's better than compressing the crap out of it.

Not sure if Warner is not heavily promoting this or are just late with screeners.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I watched this last night and I am happy to report that O Lucky Man! is every bit as wonderful as I recalled it being!

The disc switch is really not much of a problem (especially seeing how the film is filled with "black outs" between many scenes in the first place) but, I wish Waners handled disc 2 like studios did back in the days of laserdisc, i.e. have the film resume on startup. Having to sit through another FBI warning and Warner Bros. title animation seems unnecessary.

I also didn't realize that this set comes with about 1 hour and 45 minutes of extras! For a street price of $15, this purchase is a no-brainer.

Bradley Newton summed it up perfectly in his earlier post...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I just noticed that DVD Beaver has an extended review of O Lucky Man! on their site. If you are even mildly interested in learning more about this great film, you will want to check it out.

BE WARNED - - IT DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS!!

If you have never seen it, but are planning to, you may wait and read this review after you have seen the film.

That said, and YMMV, but knowing about some of what goes on in the movie from a "plot" standpoint should not seriously diminish one's overall enjoyment. This is certainly a film that holds up to repeat viewings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks