Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

O Lucky Man in October 07?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted August 04 2007 - 03:52 AM

I can't find the thread for this, but can someone tip me off as to wether this has finally been annouced... dates and specs??? Much appreciated!

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 04 2007 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_Duffy
I can't find the thread for this, but can someone tip me off as to wether this has finally been annouced... dates and specs??? Much appreciated!

It was mentioned in the last post of this thread that it is up for pre-order at DVD Empire as is due on October 23. They have the front and rear cover art, which shows that the supplements will include:

* Commentary by Malcolm McDowell, Alan Price, and screenwriter David Sharwin

* New Feature-Length Career Profile, O Lucky Malcolm! (also on the new Clockwork Orange disc)

* Vintage Featurette: O Lucky Man! Innovations in Entertainment

* Theatrical Trailer

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 04 2007 - 05:54 AM

This art shows a 178 minute run time, which is about 12 minutes longer than the US theatrical release, but short of the original 192 minutes. The pricing is right though.

October is shaping up to be a McDowell/Mirren month with Caligula getting a reissue.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 04 2007 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer
This art shows a 178 minute run time, which is about 12 minutes longer than the US theatrical release, but short of the original 192 minutes. The pricing is right though.

October is shaping up to be a McDowell/Mirren month with Caligula getting a reissue.

The IMDB notes that only the Cannes cut was 192 minutes.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted August 05 2007 - 08:24 AM

is the 192 minutes what was widely perceived at the time as the X rated version in the UK?

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted August 05 2007 - 08:46 AM

The BBFC originally passed the film with 'X' certificate and a running time of 184m 5s.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted August 06 2007 - 08:56 AM

About frickkin' time!! I have been waiting for this FOREVER!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Gary

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 06 2007 - 10:45 AM

It was the Cannes cut I was refering to (based on info from IMDB). So this X rated cut is still longer than what we are getting - anyone know what we are still missing - not that it really matters as I'll be getting this regardless.

Anyone know off hand how long the LD version ran?

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted October 21 2007 - 02:15 AM

Anyone seen any reviews for this yet?

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,822 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted October 21 2007 - 03:46 AM

I may feel a bit "sheepish" later on, but I'll go ahead and purchase this disc even without reviews.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 21 2007 - 05:27 AM

Why are reviews needed?

Warners are usually on the ball with these type of releases... I've had mine pre-ordered with DigitalEyes for some time now and I believe it shipped earlier this week.

Should be a fine release.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted October 21 2007 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
Why are reviews needed?

Warners are usually on the ball with these type of releases... I've had mine pre-ordered with DigitalEyes for some time now and I believe it shipped earlier this week.

Should be a fine release.

Sometimes its nice to read about a release before buying it. Sheesh.

I've been waiting for this for 10 years and I'd love to know how to picture quality is. Guess I'll find out on Tuesday. Thanks a lot for the help.

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 09:45 PM

Anyone got this yet? If so... any verdict? extras... pic quality?

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 10:37 PM

It looks INCREDIBLE. Beautiful, colorful, nearly flawless anamorphic transfer and the mono soundtrack ROCKS. Lots of deep bass in the musical numbers, but not muddy sounding. The movie is spread over two discs. The disc change occurs during the scene with Alan Price's band on the bus, right after Helen Mirren's seduction of Mick and picks up on disc two with Mick waking up as the sun rises. The formerly deleted scene featuring the suicidal housewife and Alan Price singing "My Hometown" has been restored.
Extras on disc one are the film's trailer (anamorphic) and the vintage featurette "O Lucky Man! Innovations in Entertainment" (a making of from the time of the film's release) which is presented in its original aspect of 1.33:1. Both trailer and featurette show a little wear, but both look quite incredible considering their age.
Disc two contains the new documentary "O Lucky Malcolm!" which I understand also appears on the new Clockwork Orange discs.
Both discs contain commentary by Malcolm McDowell, Alan Price, and screenwriter David Sharwin (which I have yet to listen to).
I cannot recommend this highly enough. Warner Brothers continues to amaze. For a rather obscure cult film like this to be treated this beautifully and with so many extras, it shows that George Feltenstein and crew deserve much needed respect. And for only $14.99? It's absolutely a no-brainer. Buy this film, share it with friends and you'll be a lucky man.

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 01:27 AM

It is astounding how little press this release has received. None of the big DVD news sites carried any mention of it and none of the popular review sites have touched it.

As Mr. Newton says, this set is fantastic.

#16 of 24 ONLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,124 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 04:16 AM

I concur. It looks and sounds fantastic. O Lucky Malcolm, on the other hand, is kind of spotty-- it goes into depth on a couple of his movies, but overlooks way too many for the good overview it needs to be.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 25 2007 - 06:16 AM

My Amazon shipment is due to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to revisit this wonderful film tomorrow night! The last time I saw it was in the '70s when HBO aired it.
Gary

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 08:47 AM

Mine is in transit. Kind of disappointing about the disc switch (which I thought was going to be the advantage over the LD), but I guess it's better than compressing the crap out of it.

Not sure if Warner is not heavily promoting this or are just late with screeners.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 27 2007 - 08:06 AM

I watched this last night and I am happy to report that O Lucky Man! is every bit as wonderful as I recalled it being!

The disc switch is really not much of a problem (especially seeing how the film is filled with "black outs" between many scenes in the first place) but, I wish Waners handled disc 2 like studios did back in the days of laserdisc, i.e. have the film resume on startup. Having to sit through another FBI warning and Warner Bros. title animation seems unnecessary.

I also didn't realize that this set comes with about 1 hour and 45 minutes of extras! For a street price of $15, this purchase is a no-brainer.

Bradley Newton summed it up perfectly in his earlier post...
Quote:
I cannot recommend this highly enough. Warner Brothers continues to amaze. For a rather obscure cult film like this to be treated this beautifully and with so many extras, it shows that George Feltenstein and crew deserve much needed respect. And for only $14.99? It's absolutely a no-brainer. Buy this film, share it with friends and you'll be a lucky man.

Gary

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 27 2007 - 08:31 AM

I just noticed that DVD Beaver has an extended review of O Lucky Man! on their site. If you are even mildly interested in learning more about this great film, you will want to check it out.

BE WARNED - - IT DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS!!

If you have never seen it, but are planning to, you may wait and read this review after you have seen the film.

That said, and YMMV, but knowing about some of what goes on in the movie from a "plot" standpoint should not seriously diminish one's overall enjoyment. This is certainly a film that holds up to repeat viewings.
Gary

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow