Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

To the studios: STOP HOLDING TV ON DVD HOSTAGE!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
112 replies to this topic

#101 of 113 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 17 2007 - 05:37 AM

Gotcha. I forgot to think from a corporate, instead of consumer, standpoint.

#102 of 113 OFFLINE   tjguitar85

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'm sure some people are opening, copying and then returning...

I thought stores only accept defective (or unopened) product? Would a consumer intentionally cause a defect and then take it back? Or are stores just dumb and don't check what's getting returned?

#103 of 113 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 17 2007 - 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjguitar85
I thought stores only accept defective (or unopened) product? Would a consumer intentionally cause a defect and then take it back? Or are stores just dumb and don't check what's getting returned?
Most stores will only exchange for the same product but you can complain your way into a refund or a different product. You can't do it regularly but eventually if you go up the chain of command, someone is just not going to want to deal with you and give you what you want so you'll leave. Posted Image

When it comes down to it, the stores don't really care if it's defective or not. They get credit for the product that is sent back as defective either way.

#104 of 113 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I can't speak for David but I don't think he means consumers returning DVDs- he means returns from the stores. For example, say that Best Buy has 50 (or 40 or 25 or even 5) copies of a title that aren't selling and they don't want them cluttering their shelves so BB returns them to their distributor.

Exactly.

When you see 2 rows of a relatively minor new release at Best Buy on street date, or when a company puts an ad for a real "dog" in the circular (meaning they have to also ship a certain large quantity to BB), you know that a huge percent of them are going to be going back.

The more DVDs that come out, the more valuable shelf space becomes, and then the faster stuff gets returned.

#105 of 113 OFFLINE   The Doctor

The Doctor

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov
iTunes is the major hope so far as I'm concerned. It's got to be way cheaper to release something via iTunes than DVD. I am amazed that there isn't a single old show out there that is an iTunes exclusive (AFAIK -- reality TV excluded).

The 1970's "Logan's Run" TV show is available on iTunes and "Land of the Giants" was an exclusive until the absurdly overpriced box set was released last month.

#106 of 113 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 18 2007 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
The 1970's "Logan's Run" TV show is available on iTunes and "Land of the Giants" was an exclusive until the absurdly overpriced box set was released last month.

They also have the entire first season of Alice, which is not really exclusive as in2tv also has it uncut for free.

Still going to wait for DVDs.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#107 of 113 OFFLINE   alphanguy

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 03:14 PM

It amazes me all this trading/bootleg debate. I prefer to either buy the official release or tape it off air myself for my own viewing later. Anything else is too damn much trouble and ususally looks like crap. But for those who do trade and purchase bootlegs, I was told that the legal ramifications rests upon the SELLER and not the BUYER. One thing nobody ever mentions is that even if one does engage in petty copyright violation, it's not much worse than a littering fine or speeding ticket, as it's not a felony unless more than 10 copies with a retail value of 2,500$ or more as sold/distributed within a 6 month period. To me, this seems fair.... there are degrees of things being illegal, and the law was set up in this way just so like for instance.... teenagers that trade mix tapes and such don't get caught up in any legal hoo-ha. People who trade episodes of non commercially available TV shows, in my opinion, fit into this category. People who sell said shows on ebay however... do NOT.

#108 of 113 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 19 2007 - 03:01 AM

Quote:
But for those who do trade and purchase bootlegs, I was told that the legal ramifications rests upon the SELLER and not the BUYER. One thing nobody ever mentions is that even if one does engage in petty copyright violation, it's not much worse than a littering fine or speeding ticket, as it's not a felony unless more than 10 copies with a retail value of 2,500$ or more as sold/distributed within a 6 month period.

What you were told is wrong. Copyright violation has absolutely nothing to do with buying or selling. If you distribute copyrighted material you are in violation of copyright law and liable to civil action by the copyright holder. Criminal copyright may have a felony/misdemeanor line based on dollar value, but the civil tort does not. And if you think only the seller is affected by criminal law, try buying a stolen watch or car sometime and see what the cops have to say. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#109 of 113 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted August 19 2007 - 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanguy
I prefer to either buy the official release or tape it off air myself for my own viewing later. Anything else is too damn much trouble and ususally looks like crap. But for those who do trade and purchase bootlegs, I was told that the legal ramifications rests upon the SELLER and not the BUYER. One thing nobody ever mentions is that even if one does engage in petty copyright violation, it's not much worse than a littering fine or speeding ticket, as it's not a felony unless more than 10 copies with a retail value of 2,500$ or more as sold/distributed within a 6 month period. To me, this seems fair.... there are degrees of things being illegal, and the law was set up in this way just so like for instance.... teenagers that trade mix tapes and such don't get caught up in any legal hoo-ha. People who trade episodes of non commercially available TV shows, in my opinion, fit into this category. People who sell said shows on ebay however... do NOT.

Makes sense to me.

#110 of 113 OFFLINE   alphanguy

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted August 19 2007 - 11:14 AM

Joseph, your'e talking about stolen TANGIBLE property. and yes, I was referring to criminal penalty in regards to the dollar amounts. And YES, you could be sued by the copyright holder, you can be sued by anyone for almost anything. You can call someone a four letter word and they can SUE YOU, doens't mean it's prudent to do so. I guess if you are one of the big studios, you can troll the internet looking for people who trade tapes of your properties, and then spend a couple thousand dollars on attorneys and legal costs to try recoup your damages. 99 percent of companies won't or don't. and how do you arrive at a dollar amount for damages for a title which has never been released? What if it's something that was taped off air years ago and the studio doesn't even POSSESS a physical copy of the title, because they destroyed it years ago? There are much more profitable things to be spending your time on. In fact, alot of companies use the trading/bootleg market to gauge whether a title has a large enough cult following to warrant a release. Like it or not, they DO look at such things when making decisions. When it comes to artists, illegal downloads and such are frowned upon, as they should be... but the majority of artists (And I happen to be good friends with one) don't have problems with their fans trading commercially unavailable material amongst themselves, as long as it's NOT OFFICIALLY RELEASED, and as long as money does NOT change hands. It's kind of an unspoken (or soemtimes spoken) rule at least among music artists. Many artists are quite flattered that people love their work SO MUCH that people are willing to break a law to get it. They consider it ultimate fan devotion.

#111 of 113 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted August 19 2007 - 01:44 PM

Why do threads liek these have to be such wastelands.

#112 of 113 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanguy
I guess if you are one of the big studios, you can troll the internet looking for people who trade tapes of your properties, and then spend a couple thousand dollars on attorneys and legal costs to try recoup your damages. 99 percent of companies won't or don't. and how do you arrive at a dollar amount for damages for a title which has never been released? What if it's something that was taped off air years ago and the studio doesn't even POSSESS a physical copy of the title, because they destroyed it years ago? There are much more profitable things to be spending your time on.
I totally agree.The cost of bringing people to court,who trade some obscure show,would be just as much,if not more,than it would cost to just release it on DVD.

#113 of 113 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,732 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 07:39 AM

*Looks at huge pile of ligit DVDs*

So which is worse? Me breaking down once and buying the bootleg set of Batman or the loggerheads of two stupid studios who refuse to budge - for YEARS mind you - because of naked shameless greed? I'll willingly give up my money in a hot second to them if they released the real McCoy. But they squabble like spoiled brats, so F'em both.

Sure it's selfish to want the set, but the other side of the equasion looks a LOT worse than I do.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow