-

Photo
- - - - -

Spider-Man -films (Blu-ray) on 10-30-07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#101 of 119 OFFLINE   Seppo

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted October 12 2007 - 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Massey
Just got the trilogy today. It is encoded for regions A B C so I assume it is the same for all.

First impressions are good for me. I did look for the edge enhancement mentioned and I have to say if I hadn't been straining my eyes to look at it, I wouldn't have even noticed. Still not sure if it is my eyes playing tricks on me or it is actually there Posted Image. That said my screen is a 46" LCD so perhaps on larger screens it may be obvious.

The main noticeable difference to me was the colour improvement. Colours were far richer than what I had seen on the DVD. I did notice grain in certain shots on Spiderman 2 as mentioned before, which changed from shot to shot, usually in effects shots, but it didnt distract. There was no problem with playing the extended version or the theatrical version.

Spiderman 3 is pretty much a flawless transfer - the less said about the actual film the better.

Overall I would give the first 2 films 4 out of 5, with the third being 5 out of 5.
I only noticed EE in one or two scenes. I've now watched all the films in their entirety. The only disappointment concerning picture quality is the first film. It just looks a bit too ill-defined in my opinion. Don't expect a sharp, well-defined picture i.e. "Bridge to Terabithia", "Hellboy" etc.

"Spider-Man 2" looks pretty much excellent in my opinion even though contrast levels are quite different compared to the DVD versions - the Blu-ray version looks quite a bit darker and less blown out. It'll be fun to see if this turns into another "Bram Stoker's Dracula" debate. Posted Image

Seppo's picture quality ratings on the Spider-Man films on Blu-ray:
- "Spider-Man": 3½/5
- "Spider-Man 2": 4½/5
- "Spider-Man 3": 4½ or 5 out of 5

#102 of 119 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,689 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 08:37 AM

Okay so I've encountered my first annoyance with Blu-ray, and it's on the Spider-man discs.

I use a PS3 + BD remote. I don't like the layout of the Pause, play, stop, FF/REW buttons on the bottom of the remote. It is unintuitive. Where pause should be, stop is instead. Hence I often when I want to pause, hit stop.

No biggie. For every other BD title I own (about 50), I can use the "wheel" part of the PS3 BD remote up top. Clicking the middle button plays and pauses, clicking to the left/right either FF/REW if in play mode, or frame forwards/back in pause mode. Great workaround.

The Spider-man BDs, for whatever reason, disable that part of the remote. Sure, I can still do the above actions, but I must use their dedicated, non-intuitively laid out, buttons, not the wheel. Further, after some investigating, I see some "options" also grayed out of the PS3 BD playback menu, things like A-B repeat. So my guess is that somehow the Spidey BDs have locked out some controls. When I FF/REW, a new, Spidey-dedicated navigation bar showing how far you are in the movie shows up at the bottom of the screen. Annoying.

Someone got too crazy with the interactive features on this release when it gets in the way of basic functionality. Posted Image

Otherwise, quite a good looking set of transfers, from what I've sampled.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#103 of 119 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,016 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 09:38 AM

I also got the trilogy set. I must say that I was very impressed with both spidey 1 and 2. more so then others have stated.. they certainly look better then the dvd versions.. so much new detail.. its like watching the movie new again.

Jacob

#104 of 119 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 30 2007 - 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
wow is this really the movie they want to put a $50 retail price on?
Posted Image
well i guess since i and some others were able to get the set for $55, it wasnt so bad after all/
facebook.com/whotony

#105 of 119 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
well i guess since i and some others were able to get the set for $55, it wasnt so bad after all/
Seems like the number 3 was the death mull for alot of series this year. From the mediocre Shrek the Third, the absolutely dismal POC 3, and the equally bad Spiderman 3. At least the price is not over the top for Spidey 1 and 2. Can't wait to view those two releases.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#106 of 119 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,689 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 12:49 PM

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority.

I actually liked Spider-man 3...

#107 of 119 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,009 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 30 2007 - 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

If it makes you feel any better, I thought it was OK. Posted Image

#108 of 119 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,016 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 03:05 PM

I like spidey 3 the best. I think spidey 3 got a bad rap.. there was alot of thread s to deal with.. I found it to be a better second sequel then say x-men 3 and blade 3. they both sucked.

Jacob

#109 of 119 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 03:48 PM

I find that movies don't impress me as much in the theater as they do at home. I love going to movies to support what I like to ensure future installments. I love the first Spider-Man film and in the trilogy it's my favorite. The second movie didn't impress me as much as the first. The third is better than Spidey 2, but, not as good as the first. The drama of "2" seems to slow it down way too much. With the first one the drama builds to developing the characters, I didn't need this as much with the other two films, but, it's there anyway. In the third film, shit like that ego driven dance routine could have been cut. The whole MJ not being good enough to hold her stage job and the, can't you just stop being Spider-man long enough to care about me, crap. Oh, boo-hoo....really who gave a rat's ass about that shit? The conflict with Harry and thier friendship was great and all the drama we really needed. Sandman was good even though He was over shadowed by Venom. Venom should have been dealt with in his own film not shared between two other villians all clamouring for screen time. All in all, Spidey 3 is fun and that's all I needed from it. As far as quality of the transfers I agree with previouse posts. First film looks great, but, not as good as 2 and 3. I wonder why the first one is in 1.85 ratio and the sequels are 2.40 ratio? Since Raimi did all three films this confuses me a bit. Is there any technical reason why a 1.85 transfer would look any different PQ wise than a 2.40 transfer? More than likely not. Still, I wonder why the ratio switch between films?
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#110 of 119 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 11:40 PM

Looking forward to the set.

My $.02

Spider-man 2 I'd rank up there as one of the top superhero films of all time (along with X-2, Batman Begins and Superman).

I enjoyed Spider-man even though I think it's flawed a bit, great origin but they screwed up the Green Goblin by turning him into a friggin power ranger.

Haven't seen SM3 but I do wish they stuck with the classic villains (sorry I'm an old fart). Swap Venom with The Lizard and I'd be much more excited. Posted Image

Death before Streaming!

#111 of 119 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted October 31 2007 - 06:11 AM

I understand Venom was put there at the behest of Avi Arad. Otherwise, he was not planned to be in there. Avi basically should have stayed out of it.

I too like Spider-Man 3. I thought the climatic battle was great as well as the ending. Sure there were a few contrived scenes there but all in all, a fun ride.

Let's hope the Lizard is in the next one.

#112 of 119 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 06:25 AM

Best Buy has the package for $60 this week. That's cheaper than Amazon.

Quote:
must say that I was very impressed with both spidey 1 and 2. more so then others have stated.
I was very impressed.

My rankings(video):
Spiderman 1: 4
Spiderman 2: 4.5
Spiderman 3: 5

The audio is first rate on all 3 releases.

#113 of 119 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,689 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Martin
Best Buy has the package for $60 this week. That's cheaper than Amazon.

I was very impressed.

My rankings(video):
Spiderman 1: 4
Spiderman 2: 4.5
Spiderman 3: 5

The audio is first rate on all 3 releases.
My rankings tend to mirror yours, Shane (Sony PS3 -> semi-calibrated Sony SXRD KDS-60A3000).

And I second the audio quality. I don't even have TrueHD capable sound, so I'm only getting DD 640kbps, and I can definitely tell an improvement over the DVD soundtracks [though what part of that is due to bit rate improvement vs. different mix I can't say for sure].

#114 of 119 OFFLINE   Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted November 10 2007 - 05:47 PM

So I was in Target today and noticed that they have the blu-ray trilogy for sale in a single case instead of the three case set everyone else has. I love to slim down space as much as possible. Does anyone know of a way to contact Sony to get the single-case to replace the three cases that I currently own?

mike.
Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®

#115 of 119 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted September 13 2008 - 02:50 PM

Quote:

Bump.

Me too. I didn't have problems with it, but then again I'm not much of a critic anyway.

Anyhow, picked this set up yesterday. Haven't watched it but sampled a couple of scenes from each film and they look fantastic. SM1 does look a bit different than the others, but no complaints.

I haven't watched any extras from Spider-Man 1 or 2 since the DVDs were originally released. One viewing of the extras for each film and I never thought of putting them on again.

Still, I'll keep the bonus discs in case I ever change my mind, and give the features themselves to my grandmother who can lend them to her family/friends.

#116 of 119 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,566 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 11:39 AM

I just bought the trilogy set and right there on
the back it says that there are cast commentaries!
I go to find them on Spiderman 1 and Spiderman 2,
and I cannot find them.

They are advertised on the box!

Come to find out, only Spiderman 3 has commentary tracks!

I feel ripped off!

I was looking forward to getting rid of the DVDs, feeling
if the commentaries were ported over, then that is what
I really care about, as that is the only special feature I tend
to go back to over and over.

Okay, so I purchased the trilogy at the bargain price of $37.99
at Fry's on Black Friday, but considering I thought I was replacing
the DVDs, as I had done with Pirates of the Carribean, I am feeling
short-changed.

This is the last time I upgrade from SE DVDs to Blu-Ray without reading this forum
and the digital bits first!

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#117 of 119 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 29 2008 - 12:05 PM

i'm looking at my set right now and there is nothing anywhere
indicating a commentary on 1 & 2.

right on the outer cover box on the bottom is a list of
features.
Only the third movie has a listing indicating any extra features.
I really feel you should take a step back and rethink this if you think you were ripped off after paying only $38 for this set.
facebook.com/whotony

#118 of 119 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 06:16 PM

Quote:

Me too carlo. The wife and I thought it was a hoot.

#119 of 119 OFFLINE   Jrf2

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 07:00 PM

Considering I got Spider-Man 3 free with my PS3 and I've watched it as much as I can possibly stand to (twice), I'm patiently waiting for individual releases of the much superior first two. Anybody know of any plans to bring them out?

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow