-

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI/DVI Input Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 03:50 AM

Hello ... my Samsung has two inputs connections on the back of the TV, but need some clarity as to what each is. The input is labeled "HDMI/DVI IN". Under that is input connector 1 and input connector 2 (both are the same). Does that mean that input connector 1 is HDMI and input connector 2 is DVI? Or, are these the same thing????

Thanks!

#2 of 7 John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 06:23 AM

If you gave us the model number of the Samsung TV someone might be able to better assist you.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

#3 of 7 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 06:28 AM

Weird that they would label this way, it's inaccurate. Maybe they are using the same chassis for slightly different models that use different connectors in that spot. So one model sticks 2 HDMI there while another has a DVI. (say if they were using the same panel for both TVs which use HDMI these days & also for computer monitors which still take DVI).

Anyway, HDMI & DVI look very different. HDMI is very small, thin rectangular, somewhat resembling a USB connector. DVI connectors are huge, trapezoidal, have many pins and are similar in size to the old parallel printer ports.

It's likely both are HDMI, if there are two of them of the same type.

#4 of 7 Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gido
If you gave us the model number of the Samsung TV someone might be able to better assist you.

Ooops .. sorry. It's the Samsung LN-S2651D.

#5 of 7 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 08:18 AM

It probably says HDMI/DVI because a DVI-out can be plugged into a HDMI-in with a converter or HDMI/DVI cable. Silly, but that's the only way I see it.

#6 of 7 ttribe

ttribe

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 04 2007 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie
It probably says HDMI/DVI because a DVI-out can be plugged into a HDMI-in with a converter or HDMI/DVI cable. Silly, but that's the only way I see it.

Agreed. It is somewhat rare to find an ACTUAL DVI connection on a new HDTV these days. My guess is they labelled it this way because it will accept a signal from a DVI-Out with an adapter.

#7 of 7 dumprep101

dumprep101

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 28 2012 - 06:54 AM

HDMI/DVI input allows uses RGB format while the HDMI input uses Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr

Forum Nav Content I Follow