Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Steve's Heart Walk

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 02 2007 - 02:38 AM

Friends,

I am participating this year in the American Heart Association Heart Walk.

I have a story to tell, and thanks to Ron and Parker here at Home Theater Forum, it will soon be posted for all to see and hear.

Please stay tuned! Good things happen, and we can all be a part of it.

Regards,
Steve

#2 of 19 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,667 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 03 2007 - 05:06 AM

Steve:

Terrific story. Good for you!

It's one thing to talk about getting more exercise and changing life-habits...it's another thing to do them.

Wish you all the best in your "new life!"

Mike

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 03 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Mike! You've got mail! Posted Image

Again, this is about making a committment to living a healthier lifestyle. I would be happy, really, if one person--just one person--did that. I did, and it has made a real difference to me and my family. But the reality of the situation is that American Heart Association is doing great work, and they need your help.

One question has come up--for those of you considering a donation by check, there is a donation form you can print off at the link I will send you once I know your email address. You mail the form directly to American Heart Association for them to handle, but it has my contact info on it so it gets credited to the team. All donations are handled through American Heart Association.

Thanks again, guys. It's time to finish picking up the house so we can rock the foundation tonight with 300. Although, quite honestly, I will have to take a break at one point to do my walk. Posted Image

- Steve

#4 of 19 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted August 03 2007 - 11:08 AM

Steve, your story really moved me.

I am particularly glad to know that this one story has got a happy ending.

I was sad to see your website go, and now I know why you shut it down. In my early years as DVD adopter and my first steps through the net, I spent my DVD-related web browsing on a couple of websites, namely DVD File (remember when it was THE site on DVD's?) and your own DVD Resource, so I keep pretty fond memories from your efforts.

Thanks a lot for it all.

P.s. I am not much of a sports-person myself, not even as a couch potato. But fortunately enough I have the most loving dog in the world, and I love walking her around as much as I can. We three (my wife, my dog and myself) broke a personal record of ours the day we went from our Manhattan's apartment to Williamsburgh and back, all in all an eleven-hour walk. Not bad, eh?

#5 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 04 2007 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Roy. The walks sure come easier when you are in shape to do them. What amazed me was how quickly I got in to shape--this has been going on for less than a month, and just this morning, I walked 3.5 miles. That is the distance of the AHA fun walk, and I am already there after just under 3 weeks of effort!

Thanks for the good vibes--it's truly been a wonderful life. Posted Image

- Steve

#6 of 19 Wezzo

Wezzo

Stunt Coordinator

• 248 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 09:52 AM

Really glad to hear about your success, Steve. Good job. Posted Image

#7 of 19 Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 03:29 AM

Steve -

Good to see you back on HTF again! Looks like that diet/exercise program has given you dramatic results already!

Just yesterday (before reading this thread), I resolved to get into better shape, for many of the same reasons (preventing the deadly diabetes/cardiovascular disease complex). Many of my relatives are overweight, and the men on my mother's side of the family have been prone to heart disease.

Around 215 lbs. on a 5'8" frame isn't healthy (BMI >30). So I'm cutting out junk food, joined a gym, and started a workout program that will consist of cardio and weight training. Since I just started yesterday I have no dramatic weight losses or pictures of body transformations ... yet.

My goal is to lose ~30 lbs. of fat by the end of the year. That would take me to ~185 pounds, still a little overweight but do-able in a 5-month time-frame.

And to everyone else reading this thread -

Many times I'll read about the importance of making a "commitment to a healthy lifestyle." Anyone have advice on how to really stick to it long-term? I've gone up and down in weight a couple of times because I will get zealous and hit the gym hard for 3-6 months ... but then I'll get busy or distracted, start missing workouts, and fall out-of-shape again (gain fat, lose muscle and cardio fitness).

This time I'm trying something different. I took a new job (at a cut in pay) so I wouldn't be expected to work a lot of overtime or be on-call after hours. This way, work obligations won't interfere with sticking to a workout program. It also helps that my new job is close to a good gym.

Any other suggestions on how to make this "commitment to a healthy lifestyle" stick?

P.S. A 5K walk on September 15 in Dallas? Hope it's early in the morning because it's HOT in Texas that time of year...
Colin Dunn

#8 of 19 Richard Matich

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 01:04 PM

I am walking more because of you and I allways park at the far end of shopping centers/stores. I also do plenty of walking at my job. I pledge to eat healthier in 08 because of the example you set. You are an insperation to all of us Steve. I will be donating to the American Heart Assosiation by years end. Keep at it. You're health is rockin now! Posted Image Good times!!! Posted Image

#9 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 12 2007 - 09:59 AM

Thanks, Guys, the support really means a lot.

A lot of the willpower required to keep to a program is something entirely out of our hands... I believe the trite phrase is to just let go... whatever that means. Posted Image

My success started when I tried NutriSystem for 2-3 months and dropped about 50 pounds. That locked me into some healthy eating habits, and now I can survive on real food--even sit in a room with $500 worth of pizza and not even budge towards it. Now I seem to have turned almost into Jared because when I can eat out, I do go to Subway. Posted Image

Amazing, guys... I never thought I could do something like this! Again, thanks for the kind words!

- Steve

#10 of 19 Charles J P

Charles J P

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 09:27 AM

Guys I hate to cause undue alarm but a couple people have been trying to get a hold of Steve via email/PM and phone without success for a few days, one person for over a week. Has anyone heard from Steve recently. My apologies if I'm overreacting to simple vacation/hiatus from internet activities.

#11 of 19 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,667 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 21 2007 - 09:36 AM

I would think it is most likely simply a case of what you suggest...vacation/internet hiatus. I hope to be doing some of the same very soon! Posted Image

After all, Steve just posted in this thread nine days ago.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#12 of 19 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill
Friends,

I am participating this year in the American Heart Association Heart Walk.

I have a story to tell, and thanks to Ron and Parker here at Home Theater Forum, it will soon be posted for all to see and hear.

Please stay tuned! Good things happen, and we can all be a part of it.

Regards,
Steve

I feel dense - I can't find your story - could you edit a link into your first post?

#13 of 19 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,667 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 22 2007 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_L
I feel dense - I can't find your story - could you edit a link into your first post?

Eric: Here you go! There is a stickied announcement at the top of each sub-forum page which includes this link...but, you are right--it should be included in this thread.

And, HERE is the link to Steve's personalized donation page.

#14 of 19 Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted August 27 2007 - 01:19 PM

Steve - just made my donation. See you in Dallas on the 15th...
Colin Dunn

#15 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 28 2007 - 10:54 AM

Groovy, thanks so much!

- Steve

#16 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 10 2007 - 09:43 AM

Well guys, thanks again for reading / listening to my story. The walk is this weekend, and I am doing my darndest to get ready for it.

The one thing I vow to --never-- do again is to sit on my ass all the time and let my life pass before me. I don't think I am being a drama queen when I say, again, that I could have died back in the late 1990's when all I did was work, eat, and sleep. I am not trying to send anyone on a guilt trip here, except for the one person who emailed me when I shut my site down and told me that I should be ashamed for doing it. In the wise words of Bill the Cat, pfffth!

The walk is early (they are telling us that the best parking will be had if we get there at 7:00am) and all I can say is that the cold drinks better have some caffeine in them if I am going to be out and about at that hour! Posted Image

Mostly, I just want to thank you falletin me be mice elf again. Posted Image

(And if you are getting on a funky groove with that Sly reference, then my work here is done.)

Posted Image

- Steve

#17 of 19 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,667 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 10 2007 - 09:46 AM

Good luck, dude!

#18 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 15 2007 - 04:57 PM

Well, the walk was a success! Some 12 hours after returning home, the feet and calves are still feeling funky, but everything went well.

My company team was small (the guests who walked with us ultimately outnumbered the company participants--one walker brought five guests!) but a splendid time was had by all, whether the team had less than a dozen participants, or several hundred.

There were a lot of familes at the event, even kids in strollers. There were people who brought dogs. One team had a pony. There was entertainment--a live band, stiltwalkers who juggled, a magician, free healthy snacks, lots of water to drink, and many volunteers helping out.

Dallas Mav's Head Coach Avery Johnson fired the starting gun, then at least a thousand folks walked in beautiful pre-fall weather in the streets of Dallas. The weather was perfect.

We started at Victory Park, just outside the American Airlines Center (where the Mavs and Stars play, and where I will be seeing Blue Man Group next month!) We passed the West End, the Texas School Book Depository, and other buildings that graced the opening credits of that favorite 80's prime-time soap where that J.R. guy got shot. Posted Image

A confession: I took one short cut, cutting what appeared to be a block out of the 3.5 mile walk. Sorry. I took the light rail to get to the event, but showed up late to the train station and ended up standing the entire hour it took to get from north of Dallas to Victory Park.

But the miracle here--and I am truly blessed to be able to say this--is that I could even think of standing for that hour, walking around the event and walking the city for almost three hours, and that I am still here with only minor aches and pains to show for it.

This walking thing is good stuff!

So thanks again to all who read my story, thanks even more to those who thought about making a lifestyle change despite this sedentary hobby, and extra special thanks to those who supported the walk (and I don't just mean financially).

The Dallas Heart Walk raised almost $2 million as of Thursday. Some last minute contributions could very well push us past our goal. There are Heart Walks scheduled in other cities, as well.

The statistic says that for every hour of regular, vigorous exercise, you gain as much as two hours of life expectancy! So what did I do this afternoon?

Well, sure, what else? I watched a movie. Posted Image I am going to have to really get to the exercise if I am going to be able to watch that new Kenneth Branagh Hamlet DVD. Posted Image

Anyway, thanks again everyone. Be well.

- Steve

#19 of 19 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,667 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 19 2009 - 04:56 PM

Steve:  Any updates?

My wife and I have changed out exercise and eating habits 180-degrees and have each lost 40+ pounds over the past year or so.

Hows things going for you?!? 

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow