Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is "300" worth a blind buy?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Orlando

Orlando

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 206 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 01 2000

Posted August 01 2007 - 02:36 AM

Have not seen the movie and was wondering if I should take advantage of the target sale on Blu-ray. Or just get it from netflix and see if I like it first.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Adam_G

Adam_G

    Extra



  • 16 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 09 2005

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:03 AM

Absolutely worth it. An amazing movie imo if you're into epics such as Troy, LotR, etc.

And from the reviews I've read, the HD versions of the movie are considered a benchmark of the format. So if you're looking for a showpiece for your system. This would be the disc to get Posted Image

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

    Producer



  • 3,024 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 01 2001

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:07 AM

I hope so. Got caught up in the hype and ordered it yesterday after telling myself I wouldn't do any more of this blind buying crap. Posted Image

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

    Producer



  • 4,486 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 15 2001

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:09 AM

I rented the standard DVD and if I like the movie as much as everyone says I will I'm going to buy the HD-DVD.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle

    Second Unit



  • 476 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 28 1999

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
Have not seen the movie and was wondering if I should take advantage of the target sale on Blu-ray. Or just get it from netflix and see if I like it first.


I did a blind buy yesterday and am waiting until the weekend to view it with an entourage of friends who have already watched it.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

    Lead Actor



  • 8,341 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 16 1998
  • Real Name:Neil Joseph

Posted August 01 2007 - 05:04 AM

I would say this title is worth a blind buy.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

 


#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 143 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 17 2007

Posted August 01 2007 - 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_G
Absolutely worth it. An amazing movie imo if you're into epics such as Troy, LotR, etc.

I totally agree! If you like Gladiator and the style of Sin City albeit in color,
then you'll love this movie and you won't regret the blind buy.

Get it now! No seriously, go and get it, now!! Posted Image
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   James T

James T

    Screenwriter



  • 1,643 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 08 1999

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhill
I totally agree! If you like Gladiator and the style of Sin City albeit in color,
then you'll love this movie and you won't regret the blind buy.

Get it now! No seriously, go and get it, now!! Posted Image


That was the description I was going to give Posted Image

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul



  • 22,345 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:10 AM

I'm definitely in the minority but I thought 300 was lousy. The slow motion and narration (it seemed like half the time it was telling you what was happening onscreen at the same time) were overused and eventually became unintentionally funny. Plus, the subplot about the wife that is only in the movie to attract a female demographic was awful.

All that being said, most people seem to love it so what the hell do I know. Posted Image

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter



  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:26 AM

I could've done without the movie-only wife subplot, but it didn't keep me from enjoying the movie. Since you appear to have at least a familiarity with the graphic novel, I'm sure you're aware that the narration is taken straight out of it.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul



  • 22,345 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Since you appear to have at least a familiarity with the graphic novel, I'm sure you're aware that the narration is taken straight out of it.
Yeah, I've read the comics and the narration worked for me there but it didn't work for me in the movie. I'm not the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons hoping that the movie is bad so I can write hundreds of paragraphs at AICN and on a blog about how they ruined Frank Miller's work either. The movie just didn't work for me and I'm a big fan of Frank Miller and the Sin City movie.

Like I said, most people loved the movie so I'm definitely in a minority with my opinion but I threw it out there as a counterpoint.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Archangel

Archangel

    Agent



  • 31 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 24 2007

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:41 AM

Easily a great blind buy.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter



  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Like I said, most people loved the movie so I'm definitely in a minority with my opinion but I threw it out there as a counterpoint.

Sure, and I can appreciate that. I was just wanting to make sure that you and others understood that the flaw you precieved was the result of staying true to the source material. I can usually forgive those flaws easier than ones born from unnecessarily veering from the source.

I have to admit, the narration bothered me a bit at first. Mainly because the guy doing the narration played the friar in Van Helsing, and I kept expecting a funny ha-ha to crop up. Posted Image Thankfully, I got over that.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

    Producer



  • 6,017 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 26 1999

Posted August 01 2007 - 09:19 AM

No. I won't be responsible for someone that hates it. If you are ever in doubt, rent it.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   PeterMano

PeterMano

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 182 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 08 2004

Posted August 01 2007 - 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I'm definitely in the minority but I thought 300 was lousy. The slow motion and narration (it seemed like half the time it was telling you what was happening onscreen at the same time) were overused and eventually became unintentionally funny. Plus, the subplot about the wife that is only in the movie to attract a female demographic was awful.

All that being said, most people seem to love it so what the hell do I know. Posted Image

Well, add me to that minority. The narration was tedious and those outfits. Yikes! The film didn't build to a rousng climax, it just fizzled out. For an action flim, there's a whole lot of posing going on, hey, guys, look at my abs and biceps, aren't they great, and the slow mo stuff just doesn't work. Its used incessantly, and just drags the picture down to a crawl. A great action film, this isn't.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

    Lead Actor



  • 9,539 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 19 1998

Posted August 01 2007 - 11:08 AM

I think this thread is evidence that movie evaluation is too subjective to recommend a blind buy.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter



  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted August 01 2007 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
I think this thread is evidence that movie evaluation is too subjective to recommend a blind buy.

Bingo!
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

    Second Unit



  • 293 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 19 2005

Posted August 01 2007 - 11:19 AM

I thought the film was bombastic trash. However, if, as I do, you like "Showgirls", you'll probably be able to appreciate the film on the same level.

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer



  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted August 01 2007 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace_A
I thought the film was bombastic trash. However, if, as I do, you like "Showgirls", you'll probably be able to appreciate the film on the same level.

A little "bombastic trash" is necessary now and then for healthy cinema diet! Posted Image

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

    Producer



  • 6,017 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 26 1999

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:28 PM

It's actually more like all style and no substance. Michael Bay films come to mind immediately.

Comparing it to showgirls is too much.


Back to Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow