Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dallas Season 7 arrived 7/31/07

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 06:42 PM

I am very grateful that Warners has put out so many sets already of this series. But my theory is that the supposed Dallas movie is behind the marketing decision to put out so many set so (relatively) quickly. Does anyone else agree? I have to question the popularity of Dallas on dvd because hardly anyone here ever mentions it!

But seriously--Season 7 is actually one of the better seasons. That's the season they added Priscilla Presley and Christopher Atkins to the regular cast. Lots of good and bad things happened to the Ewings during season 7 (no spoilers will be offered by me). I think also that season 7 was the turning point for the show. Afterward, they started dropping a lot of popular characters and Miss Ellie got replaced temporarily by Donna Reed (unfortunately). Then season 9 was the awful "dream" season. I think season 7 was actually when the series peaked, then afterward kinda went downhill. That's not to say I won't buy the rest if it comes out, but season 7 really was the last season of the Old Guard, familiar Dallas that everybody truly remembers to this day.

So...who else bought or is planning to buy this set?

#2 of 33 david_hu

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 09:02 PM

Have already had mine shipped. Was thinking of stopping at the season where Victoria Principal departs- season 10, I think.

#3 of 33 beatlejam

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 11:07 PM

Huge Dallas fan here! Posted Image

I used to watch the show all the time back in the day, and I have seasons
1-6 on DVD (with 7 on the way!).

But having said that, I will stop my collection with season 8. To me, that was the last great Dallas season (despite the unfortunate Donna Reed debacle). The last image of season 8 is, in my opinion, the perfect way to close things out. The show was never the same after that, spinning more and more out of control with cast defections, wild story lines, etc. Up until then, however, Dallas was one of TV's greatest dramas of all-time. Great characters, acting, and stories kept you coming back for more!

#4 of 33 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,011 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 01 2007 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
I am very grateful that Warners has put out so many sets already of this series. But my theory is that the supposed Dallas movie is behind the marketing decision to put out so many set so (relatively) quickly. Does anyone else agree?

I don't know. I doubt they'd sell season after season of an unprofitable show for marketing purposes on a movie that may never be made. If they don't get a final approved script and cast soon, this TV series on DVD could be over long before the film makes it's way into theatres.

#5 of 33 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:01 AM

I hope you are right, John. I really do want it to be successful on dvd, because I want to see it through to the end. And I also want the other primetime soaps to do just as well. I'm praying Dynasty season two does well next week and that many more are to come.

#6 of 33 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 01 2007 - 07:39 AM

Bad news: One episode runs 3 minutes shorter than the rest.

http://www.sitcomson....dvdreview.html

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#7 of 33 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,448 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
But having said that, I will stop my collection with season 8. To me, that was the last great Dallas season (despite the unfortunate Donna Reed debacle). The last image of season 8 is, in my opinion, the perfect way to close things out.
I'm with you 100% on this. The impact of that final scene raised the entire series to a new level. It was all downhill from there.

The Donna Reed thing was unfortunate, but what were they gonna do? Barbara Bel Geddes was just too sick to do the show that season.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#8 of 33 Kevin L McCorry

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 01:14 AM

The first 10 or so episodes of the "dream season" were some of the best of the whole run of the show.

#9 of 33 brett tolino

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 06:06 AM

I already got mine and can't wait for Season 8, one of my favorites with the Death of Bobby. I plan on skipping the whole dream Season 9 but will then buy Season 10 when Pam wakes up from her dream. That will be 'my' last season as well. For me, the show went down hill after Victoria Prinicpal left.

After that I'm done with WB TV on DVD. Frankly, I'm tired of investing in first seasons of shows with no follow up. Yea, yea, I know... if you don't buy the first season, your own nonparticipation contributes to not getting it out but you know what, I've been participating for years and they still get hung up on not producing more seasons so my buying dollars hardly make a difference.
These studios have to do much more than they are doing to promote their product and stop blaming consumers for not buying what they have no idea is out.

From now on, if its a show I 'really' want, I'll just find alternative ways of getting the show complete like I did for Knots Landing when Warner said that no more were planned. And it works for me, if they studios don't want my money, that's fine, I ain't stressin'. There are other ways of getting them and I don't want to hear the bull about legalities and all that because if the studios cared so much, they would put them out complete. So consumers shouldn't have to suffer because some studio deems a show not profitable enough to continue. You the studios want to hold a tv series hostage? Go ahead, we'll go elsewhere.

I'm also hot on the heels for Dynasty Season 2 next week but I wonder how well it will do. Most people who are not internet savy aren't even aware its coming out. Even friends of mine who 'are' internet savy don't know because they don't go to dvd sites and Paramount has done ZERO to promote this series. If I didn't check tvshowsondvd.com, I wouldn't even know it was coming out. So, if Studios want these things to sell, they better start coming up with better ways to promote besides the internet. Again, most of the JoeQPublics do not patronize dvd sites and are unaware of what's coming out so unless you let them know you're product is out there, it won't sell.

#10 of 33 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 02 2007 - 07:06 AM

Well said, Brett.

I am also tired of seeing the studios cut every corner possible with picture and audio quality. If I wanted faded, grimy prints with bad sound I'd track episodes down on 16mm. Have you seen The Waltons on DVD? The picture quality ranges from acceptable to appalling. Uncut episodes are no longer enough. HD media is a reality, and the bar for picture and sound quality should be going UP, not down. Warner Bros. is still on thin ice with me because of the Mama's Family DVD insult, and the fact that any sitcom that doesn't start with (and in two cases, rate) an "F" doesn't have a prayer of completion. It's almost like they farted out these releases because they lost a bet. Public enthusiasm towards the product tends to reflect that of the people who put it out. Every studio is guilty of this to some extent.

#11 of 33 Scott+W

Scott+W

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 07:50 AM

"Dallas" is the crown jewel of my TV-on-DVD collection. This is one series I try to pick up before the release date. In the past, some stores have put it out early. Now, even though it's been a while and I'm pretty sure I won't find it early, I can't help myself from trying even up to the night before.

On the ultimatedallas fan site, a forum member bragged about finding a box with the "Dallas" DVDs. It was right outside the storeroom. She grabbed the DVD, paid for it, and took off. This was a few days before the release date.

So, suffice it to say, I already have Season 7 and am six episodes into it. I, too, hated to see the show go downhill and fizzle out at the end. But I've invested too many years in these characters to stop buying DVDs now. I'll pay for anything "Dallas"-related that WB puts out.

And I'm hoping that the three movies will be released as well -- "The Early Years" (1986), "J.R. Returns" (1996), and "War of the Ewings" (1998).

I don't think the releases have anything to do with that silly movie that may never get made. They've been talking about that movie for years, and they're nowhere near starting production on it. Half the cast has defected from the project.

"Dallas" has been pretty consistent with two releases a year, and I think WB will keep it that way.

I'm just hoping that sometime, somehow, WB will reconsider and release the second season of "Knots Landing." Hopefully, S2 of "Dynasty" (with Alexis's intro) will send a message about the importance of Abby in "Knots" S2.

#12 of 33 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 02 2007 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott+W
And I'm hoping that the three movies will be released as well -- "The Early Years" (1986), "J.R. Returns" (1996), and "War of the Ewings" (1998).

I don't think the releases have anything to do with that silly movie that may never get made. They've been talking about that movie for years, and they're nowhere near starting production on it. Half the cast has defected from the project.

"Dallas" has been pretty consistent with two releases a year, and I think WB will keep it that way.

I'm just hoping that sometime, somehow, WB will reconsider and release the second season of "Knots Landing." Hopefully, S2 of "Dynasty" (with Alexis's intro) will send a message about the importance of Abby in "Knots" S2.

Agree on all points. I especially want to see "The Early Years" movie, and I am disappointed that SoapNet (where I first saw the show, it being cancelled when I was 8 and not being allowed to stay up to watch it) didn't get the rights to it.

I'd gladly buy restored/remastered High-Definition versions as well, assuming they are in the 4x3 OAR. There is certainly room for improvement in the picture quality; nothing as bad as how The Waltons look on DVD but not nearly as good as it could be.

#13 of 33 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,448 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted August 02 2007 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
The first 10 or so episodes of the "dream season" were some of the best of the whole run of the show.
I don't disagree that there was some good stuff in the "dream season". The cliffhanger in particular was jawdropping...

...and then Pam found Bobby in her shower, and the whole season was for naught. If there was ever a "jump the shark" moment, that was it.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#14 of 33 brett tolino

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 01:11 PM

I would absolutely LOVE to get the Dallas: The Early Years series on dvd but given the way Warner Bros releases them, I'm not holding my breath.

To clarify what I said above, I want to make it clear that I do NOT condone buying bootlegs but these studios are leaving consumers with NO CHOICE.

I understand that there is quite a bit of things that go into preparation for a season to be released. However, tv on dvd is approaching nearly 7 years -- that's almost a decade and way too many shows have not gone past Season One or Two.

We all understand that studios are in the business to make a profit but the attention span of the average consumer is not contingent on a 3-5 year wait. And for a show to be profitable, they need to attract more than just the enthusiasts who patronize dvd sites. We're just a very small niche of dedicated fans and we know when a show is coming out because we patronize the sites.

Right now, only the most profitable shows get continually released and there aren't many of them. Sure, shows like Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Dynasty, Party of Five, Knots Landing and scores of others are old favorites but studios need to realize that for these shows to be profitably released, they are going to have to do more than just relay the information to internet dvd sites because AverageJoeQPublic doesn't patronize the sites. For the shows to be profitable, the studios need to reach THAT audience and they are doing NOTHING to promote it to them.

How is your product supposed to sell if people don't know its out there? You want the show to sell, you say you would release more if people bought them but you the studios are doing nothing to reach people outside of the dvd enthusiasts. Its like a catch-22: We're not going to release more seasons unless they sell but we're not promoting it to people outside of the enthusiasts. And you NEED to reach that audience for the show to be profitable.

Add to that is the lack of quality, lack of extras and incentive for average joe public to lay down the big bucks you guys are charging for the older shows. It's almost like they're holding TV on DVD hostage: they want a lot of money to release them but won't do anything to promote it or give anyone any incentive to spend the bucks on those who are aware its coming out. So the enthusiasts who are supporting these measly releases are suffering for the studios lack of effort and greed.

To expect consumers NOT to go to bootleg sites is becoming irrational. You don't want to release them because they're not making megamillions yet you won't do anything to let people know its out there except by a free solicitation mention on an internet dvd site.

We the consumers are in a no-win situation. I have held back for over 7 years being patient, waiting, supporting your high priced, low quality releases with NO follow up. Again, you don't want to release them and you don't want people to go elsewhere to get it. That's not only not fair, its not rational.

Dynasty Season One was released two years ago. Now, Season 2 is out next week and NO ONE knows its coming out.

One of my best friends is a HUGE Dynasty fan. When I asked him if he was buying S2 next week, his exact words were, 'Its coming out next week? I had no idea. It's been two years since the last one so we'll see. The way they move, it could be 2009 before Season 3. And At the rate they're going, I could be dead before they ever get to Season 4."

Here is a die hard fan who never would have bought it had I not told him. Studios cannot expect consumers to do the promoting for them and they don't want to promote themselves. So now what's going to happen? No Season 3 because Season 2 didn't sell. Why? Because no one knew it was out.

Consumers are losing in a big way because of studios lack of effort and greed. Right now, the ONLY thing keeping tv on dvd alive are the enthusiasts and you're buring bridges with them with your refusal to release season and the number of years you make people wait when you do. You may own the rights but your refusal to release other seasons and your refusal to promote what you do, when you do is beginning to hurt you in a big way.

Stop holding TV Shows on DVD hostage or people will start going elsewhere.

It's that simple.

#15 of 33 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,011 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett tolino
I would absolutely LOVE to get the Dallas: The Early Years series on dvd but given the way Warner Bros releases them, I'm not holding my breath.

To clarify what I said above, I want to make it clear that I do NOT condone buying bootlegs but these studios are leaving consumers with NO CHOICE.

I understand that there is quite a bit of things that go into preparation for a season to be released. However, tv on dvd is approaching nearly 7 years -- that's almost a decade and way too many shows have not gone past Season One or Two.

We all understand that studios are in the business to make a profit but the attention span of the average consumer is not contingent on a 3-5 year wait. And for a show to be profitable, they need to attract more than just the enthusiasts who patronize dvd sites. We're just a very small niche of dedicated fans and we know when a show is coming out because we patronize the sites.

Right now, only the most profitable shows get continually released and there aren't many of them. Sure, shows like Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Dynasty, Party of Five, Knots Landing and scores of others are old favorites but studios need to realize that for these shows to be profitably released, they are going to have to do more than just relay the information to internet dvd sites because AverageJoeQPublic doesn't patronize the sites. For the shows to be profitable, the studios need to reach THAT audience and they are doing NOTHING to promote it to them.

How is your product supposed to sell if people don't know its out there? You want the show to sell, you say you would release more if people bought them but you the studios are doing nothing to reach people outside of the dvd enthusiasts. Its like a catch-22: We're not going to release more seasons unless they sell but we're not promoting it to people outside of the enthusiasts. And you NEED to reach that audience for the show to be profitable.

Add to that is the lack of quality, lack of extras and incentive for average joe public to lay down the big bucks you guys are charging for the older shows. It's almost like they're holding TV on DVD hostage: they want a lot of money to release them but won't do anything to promote it or give anyone any incentive to spend the bucks on those who are aware its coming out. So the enthusiasts who are supporting these measly releases are suffering for the studios lack of effort and greed.

To expect consumers NOT to go to bootleg sites is becoming irrational. You don't want to release them because they're not making megamillions yet you won't do anything to let people know its out there except by a free solicitation mention on an internet dvd site.

We the consumers are in a no-win situation. I have held back for over 7 years being patient, waiting, supporting your high priced, low quality releases with NO follow up. Again, you don't want to release them and you don't want people to go elsewhere to get it. That's not only not fair, its not rational.

Dynasty Season One was released two years ago. Now, Season 2 is out next week and NO ONE knows its coming out.

One of my best friends is a HUGE Dynasty fan. When I asked him if he was buying S2 next week, his exact words were, 'Its coming out next week? I had no idea. It's been two years since the last one so we'll see. The way they move, it could be 2009 before Season 3. And At the rate they're going, I could be dead before they ever get to Season 4."

Here is a die hard fan who never would have bought it had I not told him. Studios cannot expect consumers to do the promoting for them and they don't want to promote themselves. So now what's going to happen? No Season 3 because Season 2 didn't sell. Why? Because no one knew it was out.

Consumers are losing in a big way because of studios lack of effort and greed. Right now, the ONLY thing keeping tv on dvd alive are the enthusiasts and you're buring bridges with them with your refusal to release season and the number of years you make people wait when you do. You may own the rights but your refusal to release other seasons and your refusal to promote what you do, when you do is beginning to hurt you in a big way.

Stop holding TV Shows on DVD hostage or people will start going elsewhere.

It's that simple.

That is quite simply absurd. And indicative of what is wrong with our society today.

Here is the simple fact: you are NOT entitled to everything you want.

The fact that someone will not give you the opportunity to buy what you want does NOT give you the right to steal it.

#16 of 33 brett tolino

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted August 03 2007 - 03:03 AM

No, you're absurd and you live in an illusion regarding the nature of 'Ownership.'

Yes, the studios have pieces of paper that state 'they own' these shows but that is an illusion. Just like a person who believes they actually 'own' a house just because they have a piece of paper that says its theirs, does not mean you actually 'own' anything.

Enlightened minds know exactly what I'm talking about.

And you believing you don't have the right to have anything you want, goes against the laws of the universe, nature and everything else that makes life in this universe possible. The great masters have said this from the very beginning, from Abraham to Christ to Walsh and many others. I'm not going to get into a debate with someone who is too blind to see the world as it really is but suffice it to say, someone once said, "Be in the world, not of it."

You who believe people don't have a right to have anything they want are of the cloth of those who simply want to control the lives and choices of others. You are entitled to believe what you want, but you have much to learn for life and the universe is much bigger than your think, especially when it comes to your belief on 'ownership'.

Still, you can call it whatever you want; stealing, who cares. I have no problem buying it if they put it out. But to tell the world, we're not releasing it and you can't have it, THAT'S absurd.

If for the very reason that when the shows these studios refuse to release are repeated on television, on the hundreds of stations popping up on cable each and every day, a person can simply tape it on a vhs or record it on dvd.

Try telling someone they can't tape something off tv and keep it because they can't have everything they want.

Take a dollar from your pocket, you know, they one you 'own' and go buy yourself a clue.

#17 of 33 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted August 03 2007 - 04:31 AM

I recently got around to dipping into the Dallas sets I had laying around (seasons 3 and 4), and though it took me a while to get around to watching them, once I started I just burned thru them.
I've only collected up to S4, because once the show lost Jock, it lost a lot of its soul for me- even though Davis was never an actor with a great deal of range. I always thought the man had died suddenly in the hiatus between S4 and S5, but going back now, you can see his health deteriorate rapidly over the course of the last third of the season. Very sad to see now, knowing what was to come.

#18 of 33 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 03 2007 - 04:39 AM

By that "logic", I could come into your house and steal everything in it, as could a movie studio or even, heaven forbid, the state.

The DVD-R or VHS tape one uses to record a TV show off the air is property, as is the tape deck. If someone breaks into your house and takes it, you would consider it stealing just as quick as anyone else.

There is nothing "enlightened" about denying the right of individuals to own property; it is totalitarianism plain and simple. And you would deny the incentive to these studios to release these shows. They could be making money off of these shows if they knew how to advertise them, how to treat them, and who to aim for. It is clear that they do not. What you are advocating will not only not get any old TV shows out faster but will lead to catastrophe on a mass level.

What I'm concerned about is the wisdom of studios letting shows just sit there in a vault. Vault storage costs money and earns no return whatsoever. Are you really willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

"Dallas" was credited by Larry Hagman himself as undermining communism in Romania. I don't want to get too political here, and I think there were other factors involved, but it's food for thought. In the system that you are advocating, the shows you want on DVD would not be able to exist.

#19 of 33 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 03 2007 - 07:03 AM

I guess the short episode could have been taken from a PAL source.

#20 of 33 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,011 posts

Posted August 03 2007 - 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett tolino
No, you're absurd and you live in an illusion regarding the nature of 'Ownership.'

Yes, the studios have pieces of paper that state 'they own' these shows but that is an illusion. Just like a person who believes they actually 'own' a house just because they have a piece of paper that says its theirs, does not mean you actually 'own' anything.

Enlightened minds know exactly what I'm talking about.

And you believing you don't have the right to have anything you want, goes against the laws of the universe, nature and everything else that makes life in this universe possible. The great masters have said this from the very beginning, from Abraham to Christ to Walsh and many others. I'm not going to get into a debate with someone who is too blind to see the world as it really is but suffice it to say, someone once said, "Be in the world, not of it."

You who believe people don't have a right to have anything they want are of the cloth of those who simply want to control the lives and choices of others. You are entitled to believe what you want, but you have much to learn for life and the universe is much bigger than your think, especially when it comes to your belief on 'ownership'.

Still, you can call it whatever you want; stealing, who cares. I have no problem buying it if they put it out. But to tell the world, we're not releasing it and you can't have it, THAT'S absurd.

If for the very reason that when the shows these studios refuse to release are repeated on television, on the hundreds of stations popping up on cable each and every day, a person can simply tape it on a vhs or record it on dvd.

Try telling someone they can't tape something off tv and keep it because they can't have everything they want.

Take a dollar from your pocket, you know, they one you 'own' and go buy yourself a clue.

Posted Image That post is simply beyond bizarre...

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow