What's new

Siskel and Ebert: Resurrected (1 Viewer)

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
I was watching Ebert and Roper; Richard Roper made the announcement that starting August 2, All video clips from Siskel and Ebert: at the movies will be available for viewing. from the first show starting in 1975

Roger Ebert will be holding an online Q & A next Thursday at 8pm.
Lets all wish him a great Recovery!!!

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Somewhere in heaven, Gene Siskel is annoyed that his last name has been misspelled. ;)

(Admin note - it's fixed now)

I saw this last night as well, and this is indeed great news, and the fact that the archive will be searchable by movie and even by actor is outstanding.

Unfortunately, they said that many of the early shows have not been saved. The complete collection dates back only to about 1987, which is about when Siskel and Ebert took their show to Disney's Buena Vista Television. (From 1975 to 1981 the show was produced by WTTW-TV, the public station in Chicago; from 1981 to 1986 it was produced by Tribune Entertainment. So there may be rights issues as well.)

They showed a brief clip of Roger and Gene arguing with each other. It was a reminder of how great the show used to be; they really used to get under each other's skin. Roger and Richard are too nice to each other.

I wish I'd written down the web address Roeper gave. I can't find anything about it on the Ebert & Roeper site.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Ebert & Roeper went off the air where I live so I can't see their reviews anymore:frowning: :frowning: I used to really like that show too:angry:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've always liked the show, but I found Siskel to be too mean-spirited when arguing with Ebert.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Awesome!!!!! I loved Siskel and Ebert and currently love being able to watch Roeper. This is going to be quite good!

Thanks for the heads up!

Ryan

MikeM

Screenwriter
Gotta agree with you there.
As a kid growing up, I remember the show being "the fat guy and the mean guy". It'll be great to watch some of the archives of old movie reviews from when I was a kid and actually see their reviews from a whole new perspective. Should be fun.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Well, I usually agreed more with Siskel than with Ebert when it came to reviews. It just hasn't been the same since he died.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I grew up watching those two and watch the current version every week. It's actually possible now thanks to DVRs, since most places air it as absurd times.

I miss the arguing as well, though Roeper is fine. It would be nice to see Ebert back (hopefully soon). I saw Roeper mention this and I look forward to watching some of these old clips.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Roger Ebert always said that first and foremost, they were in competition with each other, since they also wrote for opposing newspapers. Roger also thought that Gene was jealous of him, since he (Roger) had won a Pulitzer Prize and Gene hadn't.

They were an entertaining pair on their show. They were instrumental for making movie critics into celebrities.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Thanks, Michael. That was hilarious, especially when they both started ragging on protestants.

Whatever you may think of her, I thought it was extremely classy when Whoopi Goldberg gave the "thumbs up" to Gene when she hosted the Oscars.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
The website it up and running now. I've already watched reviews of Monster, Schindler's List and Almost Famous. Nevemind, they have the movie City of God under it's original language name, Cidade de Deus, which I didn't have to look up! :)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Its up and running, but good luck trying to get a review of anything pre 1987.Maybe theyll add more in the future?Dont get me wrong , im enjoying seeing these again, but id like to see some of their early 80s clip reviews.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I would imagine they would, if they can ever find it. About 1985 was when Disney produced the show and they were saving episodes on tape. Before that, it was expensive to keep tapes with episodes on them and so they were reused and taped over. In those days, no one thought there would be an audience for episodes of a show about movies that have long since exited theaters. Once home video came out and took off, that changed.

I'm hoping that there is someone out there or a TV station that for some reason has pre-1985 episodes on tape and will let Disney know.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Can someone tell me what happened up the thumbs??? They haven't given the thumbs up or down in several weeks now. It may be gimmicky, but it's still fun and part of the show.... is this a stage in a transition?

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Oh nevermind, just read that it's because of the renewal issue Is there any update on that? I couldn't find one....?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks