Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Siskel and Ebert: Resurrected

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 04:12 AM

I was watching Ebert and Roper; Richard Roper made the announcement that starting August 2, All video clips from Siskel and Ebert: at the movies will be available for viewing. from the first show starting in 1975

Roger Ebert will be holding an online Q & A next Thursday at 8pm.
Lets all wish him a great Recovery!!!

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 04:28 AM

Somewhere in heaven, Gene Siskel is annoyed that his last name has been misspelled. Posted Image

(Admin note - it's fixed now)

I saw this last night as well, and this is indeed great news, and the fact that the archive will be searchable by movie and even by actor is outstanding.

Unfortunately, they said that many of the early shows have not been saved. The complete collection dates back only to about 1987, which is about when Siskel and Ebert took their show to Disney's Buena Vista Television. (From 1975 to 1981 the show was produced by WTTW-TV, the public station in Chicago; from 1981 to 1986 it was produced by Tribune Entertainment. So there may be rights issues as well.)

They showed a brief clip of Roger and Gene arguing with each other. It was a reminder of how great the show used to be; they really used to get under each other's skin. Roger and Richard are too nice to each other.

I wish I'd written down the web address Roeper gave. I can't find anything about it on the Ebert & Roeper site.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey C.
They showed a brief clip of Roger and Gene arguing with each other... they really used to get under each other's skin.

A nice way of saying they fought like seven-year-old boys.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   xfile94

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 11:15 AM

Ebert & Roeper went off the air where I live so I can't see their reviews anymorePosted Image Posted Image I used to really like that show tooPosted Image

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfile94
Ebert & Roeper went off the air where I live so I can't see their reviews anymorePosted Image Posted Image I used to really like that show tooPosted Image
Can't you just watch the entire show from free here?
http://bventertainme....bertandroeper/

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Kelly W

Kelly W

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
I wish I'd written down the web address Roeper gave. I can't find anything about it on the Ebert & Roeper site.

I'm pretty sure the address he mentioned was their regular site: http://www.atthemoviestv.com (which redirects to http://bventertainme....bertandroeper/)

At the moment, I don't see anything about the new content.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly W
I'm pretty sure the address he mentioned was their regular site: http://www.atthemoviestv.com (which redirects to http://bventertainme....bertandroeper/)

At the moment, I don't see anything about the new content.

It's going live on Thursday night. The chat with Roger is the kick off event.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 30 2007 - 09:40 AM

Quote:
They showed a brief clip of Roger and Gene arguing with each other. It was a reminder of how great the show used to be; they really used to get under each other's skin. Roger and Richard are too nice to each other.
I've always liked the show, but I found Siskel to be too mean-spirited when arguing with Ebert.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 02:59 PM

Awesome!!!!! I loved Siskel and Ebert and currently love being able to watch Roeper. This is going to be quite good!

Thanks for the heads up!

Ryan

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
I've always liked the show, but I found Siskel to be too mean-spirited when arguing with Ebert.
Gotta agree with you there.
As a kid growing up, I remember the show being "the fat guy and the mean guy". It'll be great to watch some of the archives of old movie reviews from when I was a kid and actually see their reviews from a whole new perspective. Should be fun.

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 05:31 PM

Well, I usually agreed more with Siskel than with Ebert when it came to reviews. It just hasn't been the same since he died.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted July 31 2007 - 01:20 AM

Quote:

Hilarious!

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 05:01 AM

I grew up watching those two and watch the current version every week. It's actually possible now thanks to DVRs, since most places air it as absurd times.

I miss the arguing as well, though Roeper is fine. It would be nice to see Ebert back (hopefully soon). I saw Roeper mention this and I look forward to watching some of these old clips.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
Roger Ebert always said that first and foremost, they were in competition with each other, since they also wrote for opposing newspapers. Roger also thought that Gene was jealous of him, since he (Roger) had won a Pulitzer Prize and Gene hadn't.

They were an entertaining pair on their show. They were instrumental for making movie critics into celebrities.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:00 AM

Thanks, Michael. That was hilarious, especially when they both started ragging on protestants.

Whatever you may think of her, I thought it was extremely classy when Whoopi Goldberg gave the "thumbs up" to Gene when she hosted the Oscars.

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted August 01 2007 - 03:16 PM

The website it up and running now. I've already watched reviews of Monster, Schindler's List and Almost Famous. Nevemind, they have the movie City of God under it's original language name, Cidade de Deus, which I didn't have to look up! Posted Image

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 12:53 AM

Its up and running, but good luck trying to get a review of anything pre 1987.Maybe theyll add more in the future?Dont get me wrong , im enjoying seeing these again, but id like to see some of their early 80s clip reviews.
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Zannikos
Its up and running, but good luck trying to get a review of anything pre 1987.Maybe theyll add more in the future?Dont get me wrong , im enjoying seeing these again, but id like to see some of their early 80s clip reviews.

I would imagine they would, if they can ever find it. About 1985 was when Disney produced the show and they were saving episodes on tape. Before that, it was expensive to keep tapes with episodes on them and so they were reused and taped over. In those days, no one thought there would be an audience for episodes of a show about movies that have long since exited theaters. Once home video came out and took off, that changed.

I'm hoping that there is someone out there or a TV station that for some reason has pre-1985 episodes on tape and will let Disney know.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 02:12 AM

Can someone tell me what happened up the thumbs??? They haven't given the thumbs up or down in several weeks now. It may be gimmicky, but it's still fun and part of the show.... is this a stage in a transition?

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 02:23 AM

Oh nevermind, just read that it's because of the renewal issue Is there any update on that? I couldn't find one....?

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow