What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Purple Rain (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
SIZE]

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Thanls for the review. It sounds like the content is exactly the same as the current 2-disc SD-DVD. Based on your comments, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to upgrade to the HD version, since the standard disc already sounds and looks great, especially upconverted. Would you agree with that conclusion?

Mark

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Mark - That sounds about right although I have not seen the 2-Disc special edition, but if you are perfectly happy with the way it looks and sounds (and there are no special features exclusive to the HD version) - You are probably good to stick with what you have.

Thanks,
Neil

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Thanks, Neil. As much as I love this movie, I don't want to buy it again if I'm not going to see that much of an improvement. I'd rather put that money towards a title that I don't already have, or that could really benefit from the HD upgrade.

Mark

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
FTR, Prince does not play The Kid in Under the Cherry Moon. His character in that film is named Christopher Tracy and is clearly not the same character (Christopher is a gigolo, not a rock star). He does reprise The Kid in Graffiti Bridge, but not in UtCM. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on that.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bought the BD disc and loved it. I'd give the PQ and SQ better marks then you do Neil, I thought it looked and sounded fantastic. This film reminds me of how great the 80's were for music and sadly looks to be the last.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

I know where you are coming from. Some scenes looked outstanding while others had me scratching my head. I guess in the end, I felt the aggregate score fell out to 3 stars. But I had a total blast watching it. Looks like I am going to need to download some Prince to my iPod :)

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I recently baught the Toshiba A2 player so I'm slowly starting to stack on HD dvd's. I'M glad I held off buying this SE when it came out last year. My hd-dvd Is currently on back order from Amazon.ca :frowning:

I love Prince and I haven't seen this movie in years. I must of played the "Purple Rain" soundtrack a million times when I first baught it in '84 so I'm really looking forward to watching the movie again

I'm glad to see there are also 8 music videos as a bonus.

Is the "When Doves Cry" video the extended cut with the split screen at the end? I love the choreography in that sequence. After "Little Red Corvette" that is my all time favourite Prince Rogers Nelson video of his even if most of it is just clips of the movie :D

PS I think the movie poster is also one of the all time coolest!!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Hi - If you are talking about the funky 'mirroring' effect in the "When Doves Cry" video - it is indeed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks