What's new

a2 audio question. hdmi audio while using component for video? (1 Viewer)

tknapp

Agent
Real Name
Tim Knapp
Even though i'm not using the a2's hdmi for the video signal, can I use the a2's hdmi on a compatable surround receiver for the audio while using the a2's components for my projector? If not, then my only option for digital surround would have to be the optical out on the hd-a2 I assume. Can someone clarify. The a2 is awesome by the way on my 7ft wide screen.

Tim

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I'm doing this right now, but there's a catch. When you view regular DVD's, the HDMI audio is inactive, so you have to switch your receiver from the HDMI in to the optical. It's a pain, but it's only temporary until I decide on my new TV.

tknapp

Agent
Real Name
Tim Knapp
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Having a just old enough projector without hdmi kind of complicates things. Glad to know that I can do this though. Time to pin down a reciever then.

Tim

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've got a situation that's a bit reversed from the OP.

I've got an older Sony entry-level receiver (no HDMI) and am looking to get a new LCD display (with HDMI).

The peripherals in-play are a Panny BD-10 and a Dish Network box (both with HDMI out).

I figured I would run HDMI from each device to the new display (to get optimal video)...but still use the BD player's 5.1 analog outs and the optical out for the Dish box (for best audio).

Will that work? The BD player and Dish box won't get funky once an HDMI cable is plugged in...thinking that's the way the audio will be fed. Will they?

Does anyone else have devices set up in similar fashion?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Prior to buying my entry level Sony receiver with HDMI, this was how I ran my Toshi HD-A30 (HDMI to lcd, optical to receiver). It works well, but I found there was a delay on the HDMI audio, which was passed through to my LCD regardless of what configuration I used on my HDMI, so I would just mute the LCD.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I figured I would run HDMI from each device to the new display (to get optimal video)...but still use the BD player's 5.1 analog outs and the optical out for the Dish box (for best audio).

Mike, you may have to go into the BD-10's setup menu and set hdmi audio to "Off". Some BR players will only output audio thru one output at a time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, fellas. I figured I couldn't be the only one with an odd hodge-podge of new & old gear.

That's good info, Gene. I have a very limited knowledge of HDMI but have heard that it carries both video & audio...so was worried that the sources might balk at sending more than one audio signal at a time. Wonder if I might have to do the same for the Dish box...

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks