What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Black Snake Moan -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Driving past huge signs before the film's release in L.A., I misread them as Black Snake Moon, thinking that a horror film was coming.

Wrong.

With slightly better than mixed reviews, I also stayed away from the film theatrically.

Now making an appearance on Paramount DVD in both HD as well as Blu-Ray, I'm pleased that I've caught up with it.

With an incredibly gutsy performance by Christina Ricci, and totally believable work by Samuel L. Jackson, Black Snake Moan mixes biblical parables with equal parts Pygmalian ( Ricci in the Wendy Hiller role and Jackson as Leslie Howard) along with a bit of Song of the South.

For those who have not seen the film, I'll not reveal what Black Snake Moan is, nor any more of the story, as the film is absolutely worth viewing, and as released by Paramount -- beautiful viewing.

Apparently ported over from digital files, Black Snake Moan is a gorgeous, filmic translation with rich, vibrant colors, strong blacks and finely resolved shadow detail.

This is not only a no problem high definition DVD, but a stunner.

Recommended.

RAH

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
After watching the HD DVD recently, I agree with RAH. This is one of the finest HD presentations available. I would place it in the top 2-3 HD discs I've seen. Pretty good movie to boot. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my favorites from earlier this year and the HD DVD presentation was true to my earlier theater experience with this fine film.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Any comments you can make on the music in the film? I am curious if it is heavily tainted toward the Blues given the name.

Thanks!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I caught it theatrically, and came away with a positive impression, though I thought the ending was a little too pat, a little too corny, and little too conventionally Hollywood. They had a great grindhouse exploitation premise, and I wish they would have had the balls to follow thru with it to a downbeat conclusion.
For that reason I wasn't sure I was going to buy it in HD .

After hearing all the impressive reviews for the discs, I got it from Netflix and found the begining and much of the middle was strong enough to want to watch a feew more times, despite my disappointment with the ending. And having grown up in the small town in the south for a bit, I love the depiction of one just like it here.
Not a real big fan of Jacksons, but I thought his character work here was stellar- with excellant support from all the rest of the cast as well.

The image in the theater didn't strike me as anything particularly special, so the image on the disc comes as something of a surprise.

If I hadn't scored this one for free on Bd, I would have picked it up eventually on HD DVD for the True HD track. Either way though I'm happy to own it now.

"I put a lot of love into growing them greens. You slow down you just might taste it."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The ending was positive, but it also left you with a sense of whether Ricci and Timberlake will make it or not
which to me took a lot of that positive feeling away.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite movies of the year too.

I think the biggest surprise for me was that Justin Timberlake was a good enough actor to share the screen with actors like Samuel L. Jackson, Christina Ricci and S. Epatha Merkerson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks