What's new

Torment - online puzzle (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I saw this about a week ago, and past the second stage...didn't even bother once I saw the third stage of it.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Stuck on the very first one. Somewhat interesting, though I wonder... Carl, did you stop because of content, difficulty, or some other reason?

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I have no idea what you are even supposed to do on the first page. Anyone enlighten me? Are you looking for a keyword or something?

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
OK, I got number 4, but my math sucks so I am going to have a friend help me with number 5. At least I think #5 is an equation of sorts.

tyler

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I agree. The first page seems pretty pointless to me. Many difficult puzzles I've seen are quite simple once you get 'into' the thought pattern of the originator - like most puzzles of Myst. I just don't feel motivated to join in this puzzle - little introduction and no point...

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Content, I guess.

It's 11 1/2 lines of text you have to decipher or something. The first line looks like this:

"V nz pregnva lbh ner orvot jngpurq fb. V pna bayl ymir"

I saw 11 lines of that and decided immediately it wasn't for me.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
The answer to 3 is

ewreerusufre it is a letter replacement puzzle

ABCDEFGHIJKLMN

NOPQRSTUVWXYZ

A=N
B=O
ect. ect.

the word in "rjerrehfhser" = ewreerusufre

tyler

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
OK, I'm still stuck on #2. Can someone post a hint? Use spoilers for those who don't want help.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you, Joe... I like puzzles but, don't get what I'm supposed to solve there. That's the puzzle, I suppose.

I do like creepy/cryptic brainteasers, though.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Oh wait... I just realized if you hit ENTER rather than clicking the "Submit" button.. it wont accept what you put there, right or wrong, and just take you back to the same page.

At least that's how it is for me.. must be a glitch in the java.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
GAH! Can I get a clue to the first one???

EDIT: OK, so I typed in one of the words on the first page
and it appears to have worked. Now I am also on the second page like Vlad.

EDIT2: Well, the second one seemed to be pretty simple. The third I would never have figured out without the hint from earlier in the thread. After doing what that Tyler said to do, I got tired of decoding the message, so I just used his answer and got to the next one. And now I have to decode again using morse code...

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'm wondering if I'm not stuck on a dead-end page. Is the 2nd puzzle titledDeja Vu?

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Vlad,

The second puzzle is titled "Deja Vu", you are on the right track.

try highlighting the "entire" page.

Hope that helps.

I have not played this in a couple of days. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can spare some time to try agian.

tyler

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten pretty far... for me anyway. I'm on #6, I think.

I'll admit, I've used a few hints from around the 'net and now I'm stuck on the creepy girl with tape over her mouth.

It's some form of encrypted message. But, I'm trying to figure out what the key would be.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
So this would be torment of the self-induced variety, then? :) I'll pass. I love puzzles, but not the kind that begin with, "I'm thinking of a color..." The graphic design of the site is very cool, though. Good luck on your progress. There really are false dead ends, so bookmark your progress, and be prepared to back up a step or two along the way.

BTW - The tesselated geckos graphic is really cool!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Ok, with the hints from Tyler I was able to finally get past #2. I made it past #3 and #4 (which so far has been the coolest one) and now #5 is giving me a headache just looking at it.

EDIT: found a link to a substitution cyhper which helped me with #5; http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/substitution.php
Now on to #6.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Let me know when you get past the paintings, Vlad. ;) I'm stuck.

Or if anyone wants to take a crack at this puzzle and give me a big hint on how to solve it:

EDIT: Nevermind... got it. ;)

I'll admit, deciphering things isn't one of my strong suits... I'm sure I'm in way over my head with this puzzle trail. But it's fun anyway. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks