-

Photo
- - - - -

lack of HD DVD in B&M stores

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 11:31 AM

more like no HD DVD's available localy Posted Image
Anyone know why stores like Wal-mart sale HDTVs yet haven't really jumped onto HD DVD ?
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Archangel

Archangel

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 12:55 PM

No idea. There is one Blu-ray title (like 5 copies) at my local walmart and like 5 selections at a semi-local larger city near me.

Best Buy, Target and Circuit City near me all have decent selections though.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted July 25 2007 - 12:59 PM

greetings

Lots of both at my local Wally world. All the big Electronic centers have plenty of both ...

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 09:34 AM

Not a single BD or HD disc to be found at my local Wal-mart.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Archangel

Archangel

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 03:08 PM

Hit Walmart today and they had 4 copies of 300 on HD DVD and 4 copies each of 300, Ghost Rider and Bridge to Terabithia on Blu-ray.

I asked in electronics how they decide what to bring in and he said they don't have any say. They just display what is sent to them.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Romar Armas

Romar Armas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted July 31 2007 - 03:59 PM

Plenty of HD DVD and BR to be found where I am. The Wal Mart near me has had BR and HD DVD ever since I jumped on the HD formats. The Best Buy I go to currently has 2 sections full of HD DVDs and BRs on sale for $19.99 CAD. Too bad I already bought all the ones I wanted. Posted Image
DVD Collection
Xbox Live Gamertag: GunnerXXX
PS3 Online: GunnerX

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romar Armas
Plenty of HD DVD and BR to be found where I am. The Wal Mart near me has had BR and HD DVD ever since I jumped on the HD formats. The Best Buy I go to currently has 2 sections full of HD DVDs and BRs on sale for $19.99 CAD. Too bad I already bought all the ones I wanted. Posted Image
Same here. My local BB, Walmart and Fry's have a substantial selection of both formats.

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted August 02 2007 - 06:01 AM

My BB has an OK selection of HD and BD, but i wouldnt buy them. Way over priced! They do seem to carry mostly newer titles, not so much the older catalog titles.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 08:14 AM

I've decided that Amazon is my best bet for HD-DVD. Almost every title is at least $5 less than the sale price at Best Buy and I get 2 day shipping free with my Prime membership, so it's even cheaper.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Shiv

Matt Shiv

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted August 04 2007 - 03:37 AM

I have been considering jumping into the HD-DVD fray here lately and a lack of local retail to buy product from does make me slightly hesitant. I am one of those people that still actually loves to go out and pick things up in a store (old-fashioned I know!). I hate wanting a movie and then having to wait a week for it to show up in my mailbox.

I live in a very suburban area and Best Buy is about the only option for me. Circuit City to a lesser extent, but I checked them and they seemed to have a lot less selection in my local store.

It all came to a head the other day because I decided to buy the HD-DVD/DVD combo disc for "Hot Fuzz." I was thinking that eventually I would have an HD player to watch it on and I refuse to support Wal-Mart to buy their exclusive standard dvd bonus disc (which is the only way to get all the bonus features from the R2 disc on standard dvd). The HD-DVD has all the bonus features and the DVD side would make it so I could enjoy the movie in the meantime.

On the night of release, my Best Buy was sold out of HD-DVD copies of the movie. They even looked pretty wiped out of the regular dvd's. Then I drove to Circuit City and they didn't have any copies either. That was it. No other places to go check.

When I went back to BB last night, they had restocked and I was able to buy it there, but I guess that even the stores carrying HD-DVDs aren't bringing in very many copies so that can make release week shopping frustrating.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,806 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 04 2007 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
I am one of those people that still actually loves to go out and pick things up in a store (old-fashioned I know!). I hate wanting a movie and then having to wait a week for it to show up in my mailbox.
Are you tracking release dates much? If you place Amazon pre-orders for new releases, I understand from both a friend and anecdotal comments here on the Forum that those often ship on Monday and, depending upon where you are, guys often get them on street date.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,759 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 05 2007 - 03:08 AM

Only 1 of 3 Wal-Mart stores in my immediate area carries HD or BR titles, and only two or three titles at that. For the B&M option, I have to shop at Best Buy or Hastings. There's a better selection of HD-DVDs at Best Buy and they're $5-7 cheaper than Hastings, but Hastings does carry the occasional used HD-DVD for $14. With Hastings basically pledging their future sole support of BR a few weeks back their HD-DVD titles have began to dwindle while the BR section grows by leaps and bounds. It is funny they do this though, because they are selling HD-DVDs at a rate of 2:1 over BR.

The lack of HD-DVD titles doesn't necessarily worry me but I have cut back on HD-DVD purchases. My last purchase was DVE-HD and before that the Matrix set. My cutting back on buying is more of a condition of financial constraints than worrying about investing into a format which may or may not become obsolete next year.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,806 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 05 2007 - 03:46 AM

Quote:
With Hastings basically pledging their future sole support of BR a few weeks back . . .
I missed this news--might you have a link por favor?

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,759 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 06 2007 - 02:17 PM

Here

From what I got out of this a few weeks ago, Hastings is still going to carry both formats but is leaning towards BR which is already becoming evident in my local store.

Forum Nav Content I Follow