What's new

POTC: At World's End Blu-ray - Dec. 4 (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Not too bad a price but I saw this in the theater and thought it actually worse the the previous two. I loved the first film but the sequels lost all the magic and fun of the first so I won't be buying 2 or 3.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Yeah, I liked this movie. :D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Couldn't agree more. The first film was great, the second so-so. The thrid; this was one of the hardest 2 hr and 50 min. I can remember having to endure in a theater in a very long time. IMHO, a terrible excuse for a movie.

But I will probably still buy it to complete the series.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Man you guys are a tough crowd. I will gladly add this to my collection. For me personally it was the last 3rd that redeemed the first 2/3 of the film, enough that I liked it overall. I look forward to another pristine disk.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I am totally of the opposite opinion. I thought the series got a lot better and far more epic as it went.

The first is a so-so kiddie ghost pirate tale, while the sequels actually told a big, sprawling story that tied up a few loose elements from the first film. 2 and 3 will ge a lot more replay from me. There's not that much worth seeing in the first film IMO. A lot of really fun, original action scenes in the sequels as well.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
And about 2 hours too long. Guess we will have to agree to disagree on the POTC series (II and III).

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6463173.html

Third Pirates set for Dec. 4 on DVD, Blu-ray

By Jennifer Netherby -- Video Business, 7/26/2007

JULY 26 | Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is the first to plant its flag in what’s expected to be the most crowded fourth quarter on record, staking out Dec. 4 for the DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End....

The two-disc sets will include a near endless list of extras going behind-the-scenes on set and detailing pirate lore. Documentaries include “Keith & the Captain,” “Hoist the Colors: Masters of Design,” “Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom,” “The Tale of the Multiple Jacks,” “Inside the Brethren Court,” “The Pirate Code: Revealed” and more, in addition to a blooper reel.

http://www.flickdirect.com/news/movi...il.aspx?id=275

The Blu-ray Disc release includes all of the standard DVD bonus content re-mastered in high-definition, plus exclusive BD-Java enhanced features including "Enter the Maelstrom," an extensive interactive look at the climactic sequence of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and the return of the Jolly Roger host, who navigates users through animated menus with state-of-the-art BD-Java enabled artificial intelligence. This scurvy scallywag entertainingly guides you through the pirate waters of your Blu-ray experience, responding to your actions (and inactions) with humorous commentary.

About "Enter The Maelstrom"

"Enter the Maelstrom," the exclusive showpiece of the Blu-ray Disc, takes you deep into the perilous whirlpool of the Maelstrom, a sequence of unimaginable scale. The colossal battle between the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman stands as one of the most impressive action set pieces in cinema history with its photorealistic blend of live-action footage and computer-aided FX wizardry. Jerry Bruckheimer hosts the BD-Java feature -- a one-hour immersive, interactive tour that explores the sequence from stem to stern, covering everything you would want to know and more about this awe-inspiring cinematic achievement. Explore the Palmdale hanger that housed the sets from floor to ceiling seamlessly through an interactive, time-lapse footage interface. In-feature pop-ups and selectable icons appear throughout the time-lapse footage over different areas of the massive set; navigating to each of these reveals multimedia content about how the Maelstrom was created, from set construction to special effects. Discover the Maelstrom on your own, or take a tour of the highlights of the set with Jerry Bruckheimer, who also provides optional commentary throughout the feature.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Here's the full Disney release. I would imagine this is going to be quite a Blu-Ray.

#1 Worldwide Box Office Hit of 2007 Washes Ashore on Disney DVD & Blu-ray Disc(R) on December 4; The Most Thrilling Adventure Yet in the Blockbuster Franchise

BURBANK, CA -- 07/26/07 -- Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment presents "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" like you have never experienced it before on Disney DVD and stunning high-definition Blu-ray Disc® loaded with an armada of bonus materials. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley and Geoffrey Rush lead a stellar cast in the biggest, most thrilling installment of the blockbuster franchise, filled with spectacular visual effects, exotic locales and breathtaking action. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" arrives in time for the holidays on multiple platforms including 2-disc DVD and 2-disc 75GB Blu-ray sets featuring hours of extra material highlighted by bloopers and extensive behind-the-scenes content -- plus the Blu-ray exclusive Enter the Maelstrom: a BD-Java feature that takes Blu-ray interactivity to an astounding new level! Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Gore Verbinski, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," which catapulted to become the #1 global box office hit of 2007 to date with over $946 million generated at the box office, arrives December 4 on multiple platforms, including a 2-disc DVD for the SRP of $34.99, 2-disc 75GB Blu-ray for the SRP of $35.99, and single-disc DVD for the SRP of $29.99.

Captain Jack Sparrow returns in a massively entertaining epic adventure beyond the very ends of the earth in the #1 worldwide box office phenomenon of 2007. Join Elizabeth, Will, and Captain Barbossa as they navigate through treacherous lands, mysterious lore, and supernatural wonders of the pirate world. Meet the legendary pirate lords as they prepare for a titanic clash with the ruthless Lord Beckett and Davy Jones' fearsome Flying Dutchman.

The "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" 2-disc Disney DVD set immerses users in hours of behind-the-scenes content and pirate lore from the four corners of the earth. Features include a behind-the-scenes documentary, "Keith & the Captain"; "Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom"; "The Tale of the Multiple Jacks"; "Hoist the Colors"; "Masters of Design"; "Inside the Brethren Court"; "The Pirate Code: Revealed"; "The World of Chow Yun Fat"; "The Pirate Maestro: The Music of Hans Zimmer"; "Bloopers of the Caribbean"; and much, much more!

Relive the breathtaking action and mind-boggling special effects in glorious high-definition detail with the "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" Blu-ray 2-disc release. The Blu-ray Disc high-definition feature film presentation was created from the original digital source files, delivering an unequaled, demo-worthy home viewing experience. Marvel at the wondrous 1080p detail of Davy Jones' slimy, barnacle-encrusted crew and tremble at the ground-shaking cannonade of ship to ship battles with 7.1 channels surround, 48 kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio -- you'll swear you smell the gun powder and feel the salty sea-spray splash across your face!

The Blu-ray Disc release includes all of the standard DVD bonus content re-mastered in high-definition, plus exclusive BD-Java enhanced features including "Enter the Maelstrom," an extensive interactive look at the climactic sequence of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and the return of the Jolly Roger host, who navigates users through animated menus with state-of-the-art BD-Java enabled artificial intelligence. This scurvy scallywag entertainingly guides you through the pirate waters of your Blu-ray experience, responding to your actions (and inactions) with humorous commentary.

About "Enter The Maelstrom"

"Enter the Maelstrom," the exclusive showpiece of the Blu-ray Disc, takes you deep into the perilous whirlpool of the Maelstrom, a sequence of unimaginable scale. The colossal battle between the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman stands as one of the most impressive action set pieces in cinema history with its photorealistic blend of live-action footage and computer-aided FX wizardry. Jerry Bruckheimer hosts the BD-Java feature -- a one-hour immersive, interactive tour that explores the sequence from stem to stern, covering everything you would want to know and more about this awe-inspiring cinematic achievement. Explore the Palmdale hanger that housed the sets from floor to ceiling seamlessly through an interactive, time-lapse footage interface. In-feature pop-ups and selectable icons appear throughout the time-lapse footage over different areas of the massive set; navigating to each of these reveals multimedia content about how the Maelstrom was created, from set construction to special effects. Discover the Maelstrom on your own, or take a tour of the highlights of the set with Jerry Bruckheimer, who also provides optional commentary throughout the feature.

"Enter the Maelstrom" is a BD-Java interactive feature that was developed and produced by Disney and programmed by Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory. Panasonic is a key technology provider for BD-Java or Blu-ray Disc Java, which is the interactive platform supporting advanced content for Blu-ray Disc. BD-Java allows bonus content on Blu-ray Disc titles to be far more sophisticated then bonus content provided by standard definition DVD. Panasonic also handled the film's AVC video compression (Advanced Video Coding; a digital video codec standard that is noted for achieving very high data compression) direct from digital intermediates as well as menu authoring for Disc 1 of the Blu-ray 2-disc set.

Synopsis

Just when he's needed most, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), that witty and wily charmer of a pirate, is trapped on a sea of sand in Davy Jones' Locker. In an increasingly shaky alliance, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) begin a desperate quest to find and rescue him. Captain Jack's the last of the nine Pirate Lords of the Brethren Court who must come together united in one last stand to preserve the freedom-loving pirates' way of life. From exotic Singapore, to World's End and beyond, from Shipwreck Island, to a titanic battle, this adventure's filled with over-the-edge action, irreverent humor and seafaring myth and magic. Everything has led to this twisting, turning, wild swashbuckling ride in this final chapter of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" trilogy.

"PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END"

2-Disc Disney DVD Bonus Materials

DISC 1

-- Feature Film Presentation
-- Bloopers of the Caribbean - hilarious outtakes of cast and crew

DISC 2

-- Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom - a detailed breakdown of one of
cinema's most complex and impressive action set pieces
-- Keith & the Captain - A revealing look at the dynamic relationship
between living legends Keith Richards and Johnny Depp
-- Tale of the Multiple Jacks - an in-depth look at the mind-blowing FX
that went into creating multiple Captain Jacks
-- Hoist the Colors - reveals the inspiration for the "Hoist the Colors"
original composition
-- Masters of Design - five individual documentaries highlighting the
talented design teams behind this immense production
- #1: Jim Byrkit and The Map
- #2: Crash McCreary and the Krusty Pirates
- #3: Rick Heinrichs and the Singapore Set
- #4: Penny Rose and the Captain Teague Costumes
- #5: Chris Peck and the Pirate Code Book
-- Inside the Brethren Court - a closer look at the legendary Pirate Lords
and their costume designs, origins and unique personalities
-- The Pirate Code: Revealed - explores the pirate code and the history
of piracy
-- The World of Chow Yun Fat - a look at the man behind devious Captain
Sao Feng, international sensation Chow Yun Fat, and his meteoric rise
to fame
-- The Pirate Maestro: The Music of Hans Zimmer - meet the renowned
composer who created the film's rousing score

Blu-ray 2-Disc Bonus Materials

DISC 1

-- Jolly Roger Host - BD-Java Exclusive

DISC 2

-- Enter the Maelstrom - BD-Java Exclusive
-- All Standard DVD Bonus Content - available in high-definition

Single Disc Disney DVD Bonus Materials

DISC 1

-- Feature Audio Commentary
-- Bloopers of the Caribbean

TITLE INFORMATION
2-Disc Disney DVD SRP $34.99 U.S.; $41.99 Canada
Blu-ray Disc SRP: $35.99 U.S.; $45.99 Canada
Single Disc Disney DVD SRP: $29.99 U.S.; $37.99 Canada
Running Time: Approximately 150 minutes
MPAA Rating: U.S. PG-13 for Intense Sequences of
Adventure Violence, Including Frightening
Images; Bonus Material Not Rated
Languages: U.S. DVD: English, Spanish; Canada DVD:
English, Spanish; Blu-ray Disc: English,
Spanish, French
Subtitles: U.S. DVD: English SDH, Spanish; Canada DVD:
English SDH, Spanish; Blu-ray: English SDH,
Spanish, French
Cast: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom,
Keira Knightley, Bill Nighy, Chow Yun Fat,
Tom Hollander and Jonathan Pryce
Director: Gore Verbinski
Writers: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
Producer: Jerry Bruckheimer
Blu-ray Disc Sound: 5.1 48 kHz, 24-bit uncompressed sound
(English)
5.1 Dolby Digital
(English, French, Spanish)
Blu-ray Disc Encoding: AVC
Blu-ray Disc Resolution: 1080p

Artwork is available at www.BVHEpublicity.com

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product, which includes DVD, Blu-ray Disc® and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I fully agree with you on this. I looked at my watch several times during the third movie. I still need to pick up the first two, but I'll have to pass on the third.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Can't wait to complete the set. Watching the 2nd recently, it really made a lot more sense having seen the 3rd movie. A lot of things resonated, and I'd enjoyed it the first time!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm really impressed by the first two on BD. I will no doubt be adding this one on release day.
Disney has really shown the way to do HD for the home.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think this will be the first 7.1 track that I have on br, once I get this I mean.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

can someone confirm it will be 7.1 track ?
at the bottom of the press release, they mention 5.1 hmm

I hope it will be full blown 7.1 :)

Marek

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Geez, we have to wait until 12/4? Obvious blind buy for me. I enjoyed the first 2 immensely. Can't wait to see the "Enter the Maelstrom" Java feature.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I suspected that this might be coming:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...or_Blu-ray/836

"Now comes word directly from Disney CEO Bob Iger that the company does intend plan to release a three-disc 'Pirates' package. Iger's comments came in response to a direct question from an analyst during the company's third quarter earnings call. Although the CEO declined to provide a time table for such a release, he did offer that in addition to a three-disc DVD release, "you can expect to see it as a Blu-ray disc, as well."

I don´t have the first two films yet, so for me this is a good news.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So this boxset is a 3 disk set as opposed to the 6 disk "set" by purchasing seperately?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I didn´t really cared about the first one, but the 2nd one was fun entertainment (with clearly improved CGI-effect compared to the first). Haven´t seen the 3rd. Box set for me when it comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks