Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

H/K 635b vs newer less powerful H/K Receivers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   stangjason

stangjason

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 02:42 AM

I'm in the process of ordering an H/K 635b but I am having second thoughts on whether I need an H/K receiver with HDMI because I've read opinions stating that in 2 years non-HDMI receivers will be obsolete. Is this true?

Will this be true if I run all of my HDMI cables straight to the TV from my DVD player and DirectTV box. Also I can run sound by optical cables from both my DirectTV and DVD player. How can this be made obsolete or can it?

Everything I own has HDMI except my receiver and I'd rather have sound quality from a high powered H/K receiver than a low powered one.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 04:00 AM

I think that in the future sometime they will have players that have HDMI output only. But I don't think that will happen for some time. I wouldn't worry about your receiver being completely obsolete 2 years from now.Posted Image

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 05:26 AM

What Seth said.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 03:04 PM

If one has any interest in lossless soundtracks from BD or HD DVD, non-HDMI receivers are already obsolete. The best selling HD players on the market (PS3 and Toshiba HDA2/A20) don't have 5.1 analog outputs.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 05:11 PM

Then the receiver manufacturers had better hurry up and start selling more receivers at the $500 and under price point with HDMI inputs capable of processing audio AND with bass management capabilites & not just switching HDMI signals.

I'm leaning towards Blu-Ray as my HD video format of choice but not for at least another two years (lower player price, improved player performance and the format war issue). And too many HD titles coming out now are only vaguely better than their SD dvd counterparts, so I'm also waiting for the studios to be more consistant in their output.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 06:33 PM

Thats why I had a Tosh HD-A1... :-)
I love the 635 and it drives all my speakers without a hitch but the HDMI thing could be a problem in a distant future. For now, I am more than happy with HK true power ratings and sound quality.
Regards
Luis G.
Sales Rep
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies